Leavers

Anything yellow and blue
deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

I completely disagree. I love Clist, Chapman and, to a lesser extent, Deering but they do not battle, put in challenges, or put in the running Bulman does.

These three are undoubtedly better technical players than Bulman. They all have an excellent range of passing, are comfortable with it at their feet and look like they have the potential to score, in a way DB doesn't, but given that this is the case, does that not make you question why he has been an ever present in the side if you think that these 3 can do the same, ball-wining, box-to-box, high-energy (any more cliches?) job as him? CW's not an idiot.

He is a vital counterweight to the light-weight Murray and Clist, a partnership which as I said before, would not work half so well if they had to be doing DB's job too. Ever since Hargreaves left we've been missing someone like him.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

What he said.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote:I completely disagree. I love Clist, Chapman and, to a lesser extent, Deering but they do not battle, put in challenges, or put in the running Bulman does.

These three are undoubtedly better technical players than Bulman. They all have an excellent range of passing, are comfortable with it at their feet and look like they have the potential to score, in a way DB doesn't, but given that this is the case, does that not make you question why he has been an ever present in the side if you think that these 3 can do the same, ball-wining, box-to-box, high-energy (any more cliches?) job as him? CW's not an idiot.

He is a vital counterweight to the light-weight Murray and Clist, a partnership which as I said before, would not work half so well if they had to be doing DB's job too. Ever since Hargreaves left we've been missing someone like him.
I disagree. Deering has played that role for the club previously. His tacklig is excellent and he runs all day. The reason that the players I've suggested are normally seen in a dffierent role, is that is how they are asked to play.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Do you really believe that Deering could play that terrier role that Bulman plays? Really?? As opposed to the Emiliano Diaz position that he normally adopts? Not to mention being even more bonsai than the rest of them.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Do you really believe that Deering could play that terrier role that Bulman plays? Really?? As opposed to the Emiliano Diaz position that he normally adopts? Not to mention being even more bonsai than the rest of them.
Emiliano Diaz?

Now you've let yourself down....
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[quote=&quotdeanwindass
Clist can play like that, as can Deering, as can Chapman.
Really? Not sure they are anywhere as near as good as Bulman at playing that role.
I do strongly agree with most of what you say about Batt though. He is almost two players in one - an attacker and a defender &amp I don't think his positional play defensively is any worse than most at this level.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

wot they said on bulman.

on batt, all i would say is it's very noticeable how the team looks to go forward more when he's in the side.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Word from that Studenty place is that Fozzie will sign and they'd got rid of Hatswell (now Player Coach at Dundalk!) to afford him.

here's the Hatswell bit..

http://www.cambridge-united.co.uk/page/ ... 24,00.html
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:On the Foster issue, from my distant perspective the logic goes like this.

Wright is brought in to be the left sided centre back.

Wilder then has to choose between Crites and Fozzie for right side of the pairing.

He will choose Crites. Foster then is competing for a bench place with Day and Sandwith.

Wilder bringing new players in means he has to offload some and Fozzie is probably the best paid and the most likely to find a new club of the possible candidates.

Simps, innit!!!
Sounds like a totally credible thought process to me.

So far I've seen very little to question about Wilder's management style and achievements (other than the public dressing down of a winning side - but even that may have been the right thing to do) so I'm happy to trust his judgement here. As always when it comes down to managers decisions on players all we have to go on is match day performances whereas Wilder sees players in training and around the club every day. He's also devoted his life to football and it's what he does 24/7. If my life depended on a judgement on a footballer I'd take his decision over anybody's from the (virtual) terraces.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

I agree Mally, now's not the time to question Wilder's judgement. He's done alright so far.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Nothing new here, though - the local newspaper is just rounding up the available information.

The only interesting thing (and that only mildly, because I also back CW's judgment) is who spoke to whom first, ie whether there was interest in Foster before CW told him he would not have his contract renewed. It is quite possible that Foster asked the question first, since the Bosman law seems to place some importance on 1st January as a date -
Luke: so, Chris, am I going to get a new contract, or do I need as long as possible to find a new club?
Chris: Put like that, Luke, yes you do.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Geoff »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[quoteI've no doubt that when fully fit, he would hold a regular place in a Championship side.
Batt has some qualities, especially going forward, (although I've never been 100% convinced) but a regular place in a Championship side???????!!!!!!!!!! You must be kidding!
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Back to the Foster situation. I note his missus has given birth in the last 48 hours. That means that with his wife due pretty much anyday, Fozzie was told he would not play for Oxford again and he should get a new club. Now I know there’s often no room for sentiment in football, but this seems a very harsh way to treat a popular member of the team and I question the impact this will have on dressing room morale. Having a kid is stressful enough but to be told that you needed to find a new job which would mean quite possibly uprooting the family when you’ve given your best for the club over 3 seasons and been an ever present in the team seems like poor management to me.

To be fair to Wilder this is the only thing I would question about his time in charge but I still do not get it. If Wright/Beast gets injured (likely given the fixture congestion due) having a happy Fozzie playing for a new contract would be far preferable then bringing Day/Sandwith in, neither of whom have built up a partnership with Beast, and neither of whom are as good as Fozzie.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:... Fozzie was told he would not play for Oxford again and he should get a new club...
That's not the case though is it? I thought that someone came in for Foster and Wilder told him he could talk to them as we weren't planning to offer him a new contract in the summer. I'm not saying I agree with the decision not to offer him a new contract, but it's still a bit different from the picture you've painted.

I suspect it's mainly because Foster is the best-paid central defender at the club, and Wilder thinks he can get better value elsewhere. Though I must admit, if that is the case it's strange he has played Foster ahead of eg Day almost every game so far this season.