recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Q- Which wing does Deering play on?

A- the RIGHT WING.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Maybe we should pass Sam’s signed shirt that we’ll be getting as part of the sponsorship package to the BNP? They could then offer it for a raffle prize or something, and then we could use the proceeds to sponsor another player this season.

Anyway, if we don't please count me out of the draw at the end of the season.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Unfortunately, one doesn't have to be a card-carrying member of the BNP to be a racist, or even a right-winger (I know plenty of old-Labour types who wouldn't see anything wrong in what LSD is alleged to have said). It is also, sadly, endemic in the football world.

Anyway, a cursory check of the programme shows that there aren't currently any other sponsorship slots available, so we can't switch our sponsorship to another player until new arrivals in January (assuming there are any). If the majority of those who contributed to Sammy's sponsorship wish me to explore this avenue then I will happily do so.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

So what have I missed?
entirely disenchanted
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Nothing much, other than Deering referring to the nurses who were looking after him in hospital as ÔÇ£fucking pakisÔÇ? to a Facebook group of over 1000 people.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Anyway, a cursory check of the programme shows that there aren't currently any other sponsorship slots available, so we can't switch our sponsorship to another player until new arrivals in January (assuming there are any).
Let's hope they sign one with small feet.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Unfortunately, one doesn't have to be a card-carrying member of the BNP to be a racist, or even a right-winger (I know plenty of old-Labour types who wouldn't see anything wrong in what LSD is alleged to have said). It is also, sadly, endemic in the football world.

Anyway, a cursory check of the programme shows that there aren't currently any other sponsorship slots available, so we can't switch our sponsorship to another player until new arrivals in January (assuming there are any). If the majority of those who contributed to Sammy's sponsorship wish me to explore this avenue then I will happily do so.
As one who contributed to the sponsorship I say let it be.

Sam's remarks are indeed appalling and the lad has much to learn. He will no doubt suffer a backlash - I've just read the Oxford Mail's story from their web site and it does not look good.

Well done to Kelvin Thomas for acting speedily on this and punishing Sam accordingly.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Mmm. I tend to think sponsorship should be withdrawn if that be possible. Without making a huge song and dance about it, because these situations always have a tendency to turn into media circuses, but just as a quiet matter of principle. After all, if RO were asked &quotwhy didn't you withdraw sponsorship&quot, would there be a good answer?
entirely disenchanted
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

This is a very disappointing turn of events.

I would hope that the comments are borne of naivety, rather than anything more sinister and SD is going to need to make a public apology on top of any discipline and eucation process, as well as undertake significant positive and public action in the community he has abused. He is going to need to convince not just us, supporters and the football club his employer, but perhaps more importantly those who the comments were directed at.

Its a sad indictment of society that has taught him not only that it is wrong to think in such a manner, but also that he found it acceptable to speak in such a manner.

Personally, I think switching of sponsorship by RO would be appropriate, and would hopefully send a lesson that those who have given him direct and actual support, are unable to do so when he comments as he has done.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Perspective.

A long time ago I was 17 and I did and said a lot of things of which I am not proud. But I am older now and wiser and embarrassed to look back on it.

Deering is probably feeling pretty dreadful just at the moment.

He was wrong and by now will know that his expressions were unacceptable in any sense. but what he doesn't need is an outbreak of pious commentary.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:Perspective.

A long time ago I was 17 and I did and said a lot of things of which I am not proud. But I am older now and wiser and embarrassed to look back on it.

Deering is probably feeling pretty dreadful just at the moment.

He was wrong and by now will know that his expressions were unacceptable in any sense. but what he doesn't need is an outbreak of pious commentary.
True, but people also learn by being told that they are doing wrong and feeling some sort of pain for doing said wrong thing which, in turn, makes them realise and accept that what they have done is wrong.

At the moment (and granted the lad is in hospital) there has been no word from the man (boy) himself about this or the way he feels about it. Until he comes out and says his piece, the jury is very much out.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Mmm. I tend to think sponsorship should be withdrawn if that be possible. Without making a huge song and dance about it, because these situations always have a tendency to turn into media circuses, but just as a quiet matter of principle. After all, if RO were asked &quotwhy didn't you withdraw sponsorship&quot, would there be a good answer?
A good point, given the principles that this website adheres to so adamantly. I’m just glad that I’m not boris or admin, is all that I can say.

Also worth raising is just what the club would have done if it had been someone other than the most valuable player at Oxford United, like one of a number of “under performing and overpaid players
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Mmm. I tend to think sponsorship should be withdrawn if that be possible. Without making a huge song and dance about it, because these situations always have a tendency to turn into media circuses, but just as a quiet matter of principle. After all, if RO were asked &quotwhy didn't you withdraw sponsorship&quot, would there be a good answer?
A good point, given the principles that this website adheres to so adamantly. I’m just glad that I’m not boris or admin, is all that I can say.

Also worth raising is just what the club would have done if it had been someone other than the most valuable player at Oxford United, like one of a number of “under performing and overpaid players