Re: WTF are the FA thinking?

Post by Geoff »

So, who's got it in for Uncle Roy then?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

A-Ro wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:Well maybe some lawyers and investment bankers are happy for their kids to risk life-changing injury in order to get some decent corporate hospitality at Twickenham (or Wembley, as was the original point of the interview), but count me out thank you very much...
I'm not sure of the correlation between a child playing Rugby and it's father gaining access to corporate hospitality. IME Corporate hospitality has more to do with who your company spends money with rather than what your children do in their spare time.

Otherwise I get your point.
Maybe I was getting a little carried away with my indignation :oops: I just resented his smug, superior attitude towards what is, let's not forget, by far the most popular participation team sport in both the UK and the world. And the fact that the BBC seemed to let him get away with it unchallenged. As RR has illustrated, Rugby's reputation as a gentlemanly, honourable game is far from well-deserved. But I think we've covered that before.

More interestingly (in the context of this thread), what's this ridiculous story about a monkey and an astronaut? And which England player's been trying to stir things up?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Who else is likely to be in the dressing room at half time, apart from the playing XI, named subs (assuming they are not out on the pitch kicking balls around and not hearing any tactical/motivational input from the management a la OUFC) and manager?
Injured squad players? What other staff?

The elephant in the room (to risk another animal analogy) would suggest the source is black (as that would carry more purchase in terms of a genuine grievance), although that is of course not necessarily the case...other suspects will either be those players overlooked for a place in the side, those in the pay of certain newspapers & those players or staff who would prefer 'Arry in charge.

It is a strange one, as the group seems to be very much together, unlike under previous regimes...are there any rumours in the twittersphere?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Mooro wrote:Who else is likely to be in the dressing room at half time, apart from the playing XI, named subs (assuming they are not out on the pitch kicking balls around and not hearing any tactical/motivational input from the management a la OUFC) and manager?
Injured squad players? What other staff?
The elephant in the room (to risk another animal analogy) would suggest the source is black (as that would carry more purchase in terms of a genuine grievance), although that is of course not necessarily the case...other suspects will either be those players overlooked for a place in the side, those in the pay of certain newspapers & those players or staff who would prefer 'Arry in charge.

It is a strange one, as the group seems to be very much together, unlike under previous regimes...are there any rumours in the twittersphere?
If the entourage that sits behind the England Manager during the game is an indicator, I suspect there will be a whole mass of physios, coachs, kitmen etc. in the dressing room at halftime. I'm amazed this story has had so much airtime, I don't for one minute think Roy H had any intention to be racist or I suspect any notion that the joke would be interpreted that way. The very fact that Kick It Out dismissed the whole incident very quickly shows what a non-story this really is.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Paul Herbert surprise surprise seems to be trying to blow it all up again.

He must do more to turn people away from anti racism movements than anybody.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

There is fuel to add to the fire here and in lots of other internet places - http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/iv- ... 86492.html

If I was Andros Townsend and had just broken into the international scene big time would I make a fuss about it? Nah, I’d just tell the media that Uncle Roy had paid me a compliment. FFS, haven’t we moved on from this monkey stuff yet? We’re even making some progress with Asian players these days, though just about zero regarding professional footballers who admit to being gay.

So much for Hodgson’s “international experience” and forgetting the fact that Alf Ramsey had only managed one club (Ipswich) before he took over the England job in 1963. I defend my opinion that the former ‘Special One’, who is now the ‘Happy One’ would do a better job for us next summer. I don’t like his club (but enjoy going the Bridge to see them get beaten) but he has more respect amongst the English qualified players who are hoping to be in the squad/team than Roy has.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Eric Pollard wrote:
Snake wrote:My case is that someone like Mike Ford could probably have got England through that group. Even people who use this board would have more or less picked the same squad as Roy did, stuck in a 4-4-1-1 formation and let them get on with it. He just doesn’t inspire me and on that performance last night we ain’t going to get far in Brazil (and look at how well West Brom have done since Roy left them!). I’ve always thought that there should be a case for hiring a manager to get England qualified for a major tournament (and no more) and then bringing in a top EPL manager for six weeks during the summer break for the actual tournament. I know I’d rather have a Mourinho, Wenger, Moyles - or even Harry or SAF for that short spell to train and motivate the players that make up 31% of the best League in the world.

Edit - Oh, and maybe with Luadrup and Martinez as assistants to help keep the ball on the floor.
My main game is rugby league but by gum doesn't this Welsh multi team supporting football follower speak a load of tripe! Was he actually watching the Poland game? None of the managers he mentions have ever managed at national level. Hodgson has.

'Oop the Warriors!, Campeones!!
I assume that there is a Rage Online version of a Wigan Warriors internet board somewhere on the net so why poke your nose into a general football debate and clutter up our discussions - or did your Dad encourage you to do it?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Snake wrote: I defend my opinion that the former ‘Special One’, who is now the ‘Happy One’ would do a better job for us next summer. I don’t like his club (but enjoy going the Bridge to see them get beaten) but he has more respect amongst the English qualified players who are hoping to be in the squad/team than Roy has.
Fascinating. Who told you that?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Hog wrote:
Snake wrote: I defend my opinion that the former ‘Special One’, who is now the ‘Happy One’ would do a better job for us next summer. I don’t like his club (but enjoy going the Bridge to see them get beaten) but he has more respect amongst the English qualified players who are hoping to be in the squad/team than Roy has.
Fascinating. Who told you that?
Some old bloke with a dog at a bar, Hog. Players like Lampard, Terry, Gerrard, Wiltshiire, Carrick and Cole still have something to offer and Engerland are no different to any other international team in that they need talismen who work better with half-decent managers.

Speaking of crap managers, it was amusing yesterday to note that the Sunderland fans biggest chant of the day just before the final whistle was “Bring back Di Canio”. It made up for 1998 and that horror show at the Stadium of Light...
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Snake wrote:
Eric Pollard wrote:
Snake wrote:My case is that someone like Mike Ford could probably have got England through that group. Even people who use this board would have more or less picked the same squad as Roy did, stuck in a 4-4-1-1 formation and let them get on with it. He just doesn’t inspire me and on that performance last night we ain’t going to get far in Brazil (and look at how well West Brom have done since Roy left them!). I’ve always thought that there should be a case for hiring a manager to get England qualified for a major tournament (and no more) and then bringing in a top EPL manager for six weeks during the summer break for the actual tournament. I know I’d rather have a Mourinho, Wenger, Moyles - or even Harry or SAF for that short spell to train and motivate the players that make up 31% of the best League in the world.

Edit - Oh, and maybe with Luadrup and Martinez as assistants to help keep the ball on the floor.
My main game is rugby league but by gum doesn't this Welsh multi team supporting football follower speak a load of tripe! Was he actually watching the Poland game? None of the managers he mentions have ever managed at national level. Hodgson has.

'Oop the Warriors!, Campeones!!
I assume that there is a Rage Online version of a Wigan Warriors internet board somewhere on the net so why poke your nose into a general football debate and clutter up our discussions - or did your Dad encourage you to do it?

At least Oxford United are my favourite football team. I've every right to say what I want. Shouldn't you be on 'Mint Sauce Anyone?', or whatever the appropriate forum is for your favourites?

'Oop the Warriors. I hate Eastleigh!!'
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Nothing stereotypical about that post at all. In fact I think nice white fluffy sheep are wonderful. Not sure about your comment on Eastleigh though. Is that because they reside much further down South than Wigan or something to do with the fact that their backers pulled out of Oxford United and are now doing a half-decent job?

You need to lighten up, and believe in the government backed Supporters Trust initiative that is increasingly dawning on ordinary football organisations while Rugby can’t even decide on a code and the number of players who start a game let alone a format for a European Cup and regularly make the MK Dons relocation situation seem a routine event...

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/s ... news/32992
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Snake wrote:Players like Lampard, Terry, Gerrard, Wiltshiire, Carrick and Cole still have something to offer and Engerland are no different to any other international team in that they need talismen who work better with half-decent managers.
Einstein's definition of insanity: trying the same thing, time and time again, and expecting different results.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

SmileyMan wrote:
Snake wrote:Players like Lampard, Terry, Gerrard, Wiltshiire, Carrick and Cole still have something to offer and Engerland are no different to any other international team in that they need talismen who work better with half-decent managers.
Einstein's definition of insanity: trying the same thing, time and time again, and expecting different results.
Yeah, but Einstein was dumb when it came to football and has even less idea about who Uncle Roy is.

A shame that after tonight’s game we can’t have a penalty shootout allowed if the match ends in a draw against Them next week..