FA Trophy

Anything yellow and blue

Should we have a serious tilt at winning the FA Trophy?

Yes
40%
No
23%
Start to take it seriously if we reach the quarter-finals
37%

Total votes: 43

Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I think Snake's parallel with the Oxfordshire Senior Cup is quite fitting. Without wanting to sound too arrogant, I can't muster any ambition to win a cup competition that has the Conference teams and this lot as its entrants.
Second attempt at this also due to site going down.

Were we talking about the LDV, then I'd be inclined to agree with you, as that disrupts the fixture schedule but offers little for actually winning it. THe Oxon cup will always be something of an irrelevance for OUFC as all of the opposition are a number of divisions below us, so yes play the reserves.

However, I think we should give this are all this time, as we are going strong in the league, are one of the favourites to win the cup, and would I think benefit all round from doing what is in effect the Non League Double.

In terms of fixtures, it is not particularly disruptive as the first two rounds are on Saturdays without league fixtures, the next two are on Saturdays in february, which has plenty of spare midweeks to rearrange fixtures.
The final is after the season ends, so the only issue is the Semi, which is a two-legged affair in March, which is a busy month fixture wise, but by that stage we'll know what we are up against in the promotion race so can act accordingly.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Counting chickens a bit here but two more games in March when we already have 8 games in 28 days would be a real strain. Its extremely unlikely that promotion would be guaranteed at that time. I think we'd see some very young players in the side if we got that far.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Though most likely it would mean two more games in April (when the league reverts to Saturdays only) rather than two more in March (when there are three midweek games out of four).

Manageable, as long as we've not lost too many other games to the weather earlier in the season.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: FA Trophy

Post by Snake »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:This has been something which has been touched on across a number of threads. Thought I'd try and bring it all together.
This also helps to bring things together - http://www.oxtales.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1377

Do we have a quorum yet?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:I agree with GY. And Kernow, don't forget that the majority of the teams in that draw would love it, just love it, if they got an away tie against Oxford United. How we moan when the bigger Premiership clubs don't take the League Cup seriously, fielding weakened teams etc. Well, we don't want to be like them, do we?
Um, yes, I'd rather be like them than a non-league club, to be honest.

I agree with almost everyone else, in that we should enjoy the new adventure and try and win the games while not jeopardising the fitness of our promotion-chasing team. And if that means fielding 'weakened' teams in the latter stages (should we get there), so be it.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

It seems to me that we (i.e. the 32 posters who are properly registered on here and on OxTales and have already cast their vote) are split on this matter, so I think the real interest in the FA Trophy will probably turn on whoever we end up drawing in the 1st Round proper, and it may well be an away game given our recent luck in Cup draws.

Going to Didcot or Wimbledon would be interesting, for example, but in the main any Conference club (home or away) would be dull, especially if we’d already been there or played them this season already.

I’m not holding my breath in anticipation of the excitement of it all, as clearly we’re only on loan to Division V until August 2007 and OUFC obviously have no intention of experimenting with an ‘Adult for a Quid’ scheme - even for a shite compi like this one.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Given the last couple of weeks, I'm thinking taking this round of the FAT very seriously and coming away with a win in 90 minutes is an absolute must
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Not sure if we’re doing a Lewes Hat but if we are here is my prediction (posted covertly on this thread) being as it’s my works party on Friday and I won’t be capable of typing after about 3 p.m.

Them 2 (Cade, Booth) Us 4 (Dempster, Duffy, Yemi, Basham)

Att : 1234 with 567 of Us.

UE : 3 sendings off

/

I really don't think we need this compi, and here is what D&ampR are up to with the money from offloading their best two players to The Posh.

Footballer's wives spring to mind..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 180983.stm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tm_objectid ... _page.html

http://fametastic.co.uk/archive/2006073 ... -vernazza/

Google alone has more.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Do we have to have a Hat Compi for the replay of this mindless FA Trophy, Frank, or can we just have a ‘guess the attendance’ mini quiz instead, being as everyone got it so spectacularly wrong in their previous predictions (apart from Hampy).

////

Also, why can’t we just put the squad and youth players out on Wednesday night and give the first team the proper rest that they would have had if this had been settled the first time around? We’ve got a big game on Boxing Day so ffs why risk any injuries for the sake of making Lewes’ Cup Final even better? It would just be great for some or our emerging talent to play at a proper stadium in front of 2000 or so. And as for the club charging a tenner in advance, that’s just taking the same money grabbing line as Lewes tried unsuccessfully to take.

Our current form has “Atkins, and top at Christmas
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]Do we have to have a Hat Compi for the replay of this mindless FA Trophy, Frank, or can we just have a ‘guess the attendance’ mini quiz instead, being as everyone got it so spectacularly wrong in their previous predictions (apart from Hampy).

////

Also, why can’t we just put the squad and youth players out on Wednesday night and give the first team the proper rest that they would have had if this had been settled the first time around? We’ve got a big game on Boxing Day so ffs why risk any injuries for the sake of making Lewes’ Cup Final even better? It would just be great for some or our emerging talent to play at a proper stadium in front of 2000 or so. And as for the club charging a tenner in advance, that’s just taking the same money grabbing line as Lewes tried unsuccessfully to take.

GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]Do we have to have a Hat Compi for the replay of this mindless FA Trophy, Frank, or can we just have a ‘guess the attendance’ mini quiz instead, being as everyone got it so spectacularly wrong in their previous predictions (apart from Hampy).

////

Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Great - a replay in a pointless competition.

One more reason not to be involved in it.

One more game in a hectic period just heightens the chance of a niggly injury keeping out a key player towards the end of the Xmas period.

I presume the club lost money on Saturday and will do so again on Wednesday.

Play the youth team Jim, give them some experience and if they do well then fine, if not - we'll be out - Good!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

OK, so we’ve got this game we didn’t really want, so we either sulk about it or try to work something positive from it.

To my mind, we should therefore use it to a) give 442 another go to hopefully get a bit more used to it and/or try players in slightly different positions b) use it to give a few fringe players a chance while resting some of the seniors, but only a few (rather than the whole lot) so that they learn from playing alongside the seniors rather than just being a pseudo reserve game).

To that end I would suggest a line-up of:
GK – Turley (no choice as need to not cuptie Tardif is we want to maximise the chances of freeing up some cash under the wage ceiling for new signings)
RB – Quinn
LB – Johnson (see how he fares in a 4)
CB – Dempster
CB – Gunn (try the lad out &amp rest Gilly)
CM – Pettifer
CM – Hargreaves or Hutch
RM – Kennett (debut &amp rest Anaclet)
LM – Burgess (should be able to cause problems from out there)
FW – Basham (experience to unlock Lewes)
FW – Duffy

SUBS
Yemi – late pace vrs tired defence
Hargreaves or Hutch
Franklin – defence cover
Tucker – goalkeeper cover
Younie – run out on right wing if game safe

By the way, Beechers is back out on loan and Ben Weedon is still injured should anyone be about to suggest these two as alternatives.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Don't disagree with that Mooro.

Might even put a few dozen on the gate.

Huge shame that my largest customer is having their huge xmas party that night so I will be busy playing taxi marshall out of radio Oxford range.

See you all against Crawley.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

[quote=&quotGodalmingYellow&quot][quote=&quotSnake&quot]Do we have to have a Hat Compi for the replay of this mindless FA Trophy, Frank, or can we just have a ‘guess the attendance’ mini quiz instead, being as everyone got it so spectacularly wrong in their previous predictions (apart from Hampy).

////