New kit...

Anything yellow and blue
BillytheOx
Embryo

Re:

Post by BillytheOx »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotYellow-Robbo&quot wrote:Keep the shirt the same (as the design on OxKits) but make it yellow instead of gold! I want to shout &quotYELLOWS&quot as the players run out and mean it again!
Totally disagree with this sentiment. At least half a dozen other clubs call themselves yellows and we frequently get the same chant from both sets of supporters. Club nicknames should be something unique as in the Rams, Stags, Shrimpers, Black Cats ... etc. Oxen is the obvious.

Indeed, if I recall correctly, did we not play torquay with them wearing our yellow shirts last season? Embarrassing.

Oh - and the black and old gold of the sixties always looked good.

OK. I completly agree that 'Yellows' is a bit of a naff nickname and that it should be something a little more relevent. However, 'OXEN', WTF, imagine actually shouting that at a game, would sound ridiculos.....
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotBillytheOx&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotYellow-Robbo&quot wrote:Keep the shirt the same (as the design on OxKits) but make it yellow instead of gold! I want to shout &quotYELLOWS&quot as the players run out and mean it again!
Totally disagree with this sentiment. At least half a dozen other clubs call themselves yellows and we frequently get the same chant from both sets of supporters. Club nicknames should be something unique as in the Rams, Stags, Shrimpers, Black Cats ... etc. Oxen is the obvious.

Indeed, if I recall correctly, did we not play torquay with them wearing our yellow shirts last season? Embarrassing.

Oh - and the black and old gold of the sixties always looked good.

OK. I completly agree that 'Yellows' is a bit of a naff nickname and that it should be something a little more relevent. However, 'OXEN', WTF, imagine actually shouting that at a game, would sound ridiculos.....
That was just a suggestion. Anything to get away from the use of colours, particularly if we are not playing in that colour at the time in question.

However, one of the suggestions previous, local industry, now has a problem in the BSP. There are two lots of hatters.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Surely the primary industry of the town is to produce Toffs, if you're to believe the Mirror and the Millibands. :twisted:

The Toffs wouldn't be a bad nickname, but we'd need more fans with a sense of irony I suspect.

The thing I associate most with Oxford is explaining to people that the river isn't the Thames any more. So perhaps The Isis might be a nickname.

Otherwise something from the badge - the Horns, the Bulls?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

As I say, my first preference would be &quotthe Ford&quot, however other choices based on our industry (on the assumption that the club's support is more Town than Gown) would be:
the Morris Men (not perhaps the image we would want)
the Garagemen
the Rovers ((i) to confuse neutrals and ii) to give football trivia hunters something to talk about)
the Bullnoses or Bullnosers (has the Bull reference, but potential for humour amongst rival supporters)
the Minis
the Press

One thing that we must be careful of would be adopting a nickname that just sounds silly and/or cumbersome. I have the misfortune to live just outside Wycombe, who go by the delightful &quotChairboys&quot moniker, which has to be the worst nickname around (unless anyone can think of any that are worse).

Actually, on a similar theme, the other day we drove past a sign to the Chair Museum in Wycombe, which struck us as potentially the most boring museum in the world, but we then went on to think up a few more that might just pip it (should they actually exist) with the winner being our five year olds suggestion of the Museum of Scaffolding.
Has anyone else any suggestions (real or otherwise)
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Hartlepool United - The Monkeyhangers.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:the Morris Men (not perhaps the image we would want)
How about the Minors then? Good for annoying northerners too.
Actually, on a similar theme, the other day we drove past a sign to the Chair Museum in Wycombe, which struck us as potentially the most boring museum in the world, but we then went on to think up a few more that might just pip it (should they actually exist) with the winner being our five year olds suggestion of the Museum of Scaffolding.
deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

Apparently this is the new kit:
http&#58//lockerz&#46com/s/108256317
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Mmm, wonder what it will look like with short sleeves?
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

I like that! And if the short sleeves finish with the blue, I like it even more :-)
BillytheOx
Embryo

Post by BillytheOx »

I really like, especially the gold. Although the arm part does look slightly odd.
It would look good as a short sleeve if the end of the sleeve comes just below the white.

Yep like it lots
yellowfever
Embryo

Post by yellowfever »

I really like that kit too, long sleeve does look quite smart! Navy blue shorts and socks?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Actually, on a similar theme, the other day we drove past a sign to the Chair Museum in Wycombe, which struck us as potentially the most boring museum in the world, but we then went on to think up a few more that might just pip it (should they actually exist) with the winner being our five year olds suggestion of the Museum of Scaffolding.
http://www.pencilmuseum.co.uk/
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

Oxfordmailyellow
Sperm

Post by Oxfordmailyellow »

Never been a fan of any long sleeve shirt but personally I reckon that shirt looks better than it would short sleeve!
Hopefully we use that kit and make the away kit kook less like a training top!
Then keep a deal with Nike for as long as possible if not deffenatly get a adidas kit!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:As I say, my first preference would be &quotthe Ford&quot, however other choices based on our industry (on the assumption that the club's support is more Town than Gown) would be:
the Morris Men (not perhaps the image we would want)
the Garagemen
the Rovers ((i) to confuse neutrals and ii) to give football trivia hunters something to talk about)
the Bullnoses or Bullnosers (has the Bull reference, but potential for humour amongst rival supporters)
the Minis
the Press
The Unemployed? The Four Day Week? Maybe even... The Germans?