A Question

Anything yellow and blue
Andrewmaha
Brat

Re:

Post by Andrewmaha »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotbob s&quot wrote:Wont' even bother to watch it on TV. A bunch of overpaid prima donnas imo who set a bad example in so many ways.

Rather watch the 'U's any day.
Are you referring to both teams, as Welsh players don't get paid all that much apart from Bellamy, Giggs, Gareth Bale et al? We can't even get them to show up most times to represent their country (especially at away games) as usually they have a &quotniggling injury&quot shortly before they are asked to turn up to represent their Nation.

However, this match is different.
Very good point. I remember an interesting stat about Ryan Giggs - it went something along the lines of 'none of his first 59 games in a Welsh shirt were an international friendly'.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotAndrewmaha&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotbob s&quot wrote:Wont' even bother to watch it on TV. A bunch of overpaid prima donnas imo who set a bad example in so many ways.

Rather watch the 'U's any day.
Are you referring to both teams, as Welsh players don't get paid all that much apart from Bellamy, Giggs, Gareth Bale et al? We can't even get them to show up most times to represent their country (especially at away games) as usually they have a &quotniggling injury&quot shortly before they are asked to turn up to represent their Nation.

However, this match is different.
Very good point. I remember an interesting stat about Ryan Giggs - it went something along the lines of 'none of his first 59 games in a Welsh shirt were an international friendly'.
I note that Ryan isn't going to play, which is good news for Engerland.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my ticket, even though the Welsh FA took money from my bank account last year and now I read this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 412072.stm
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my ticket, even though the Welsh FA took money from my bank account last year and now I read this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 412072.stm
I got an email from EnglandFans yesterday saying that my tickit is safe. They haven't delivered it yet though.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my ticket, even though the Welsh FA took money from my bank account last year and now I read this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 412072.stm
I got an email from EnglandFans yesterday saying that my tickit is safe. They haven't delivered it yet though.
Got my ticket (at last) in the post this morning, along with a letter telling me to report any English fans in my area to the nearest steward!

I reckon it will be 50/50 in terms of English and Welsh fans attending and a segregation nightmare :shock:
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
I got an email from EnglandFans yesterday saying that my ticket is safe. They haven't delivered it yet though.
Got my ticket (at last) in the post this morning, along with a letter telling me to report any English fans in my area to the nearest steward!

I reckon it will be 50/50 in terms of English and Welsh fans attending and a segregation nightmare :shock:
Hmmm! mine hasn't arrived yet but there is still plenty of time. I'm not so sure about the 50/50 situation, that can certainly be the case in tournament games where the English turn up en masse but for qualifiers when there is a home side at their home ground there are generally relatively few &quotfloaters&quot. Such is the case for friendlies as well i.e. Spain last year.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

We have a nice looking bird to conduct the Welsh National anthem on Saturday afternoon and she has apparently been giving singing lessons to the home squad. Seems like a half-decent idea, as from what I have observed since watching England win the World Cup in 1966 most of your players don’t even know the words of ‘God Save The Queen’ when it comes to the pre-match formalities. Anyway, if you're not there but have got Sky TV then this is what you will hear. Do not adjust your spell-checker...

(Pennill Cyntaf - First stanza)

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

(Cytgan - Chorus)

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.
(Ail Bennill - Second stanza)
Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd
Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.

(Cytgan - Chorus)

(Trydydd Pennill - Third stanza)

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad tan ei droed,
Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

(Cytgan - Chorus)

And yes, it sometimes seems like the English and Welsh live on different planets rather than being next door neighbours :D

I'll even start a strictly unofficial Hat on it if anyone wants to join in. Two nil to Engerland (Rooney and Defoe). Att: 74321. UE: Rooney sent off and Terry booked. Mayhem in Cardiff post-match.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:I shall be on the march in London but plan to sneak off to catch the game in a pub (if not kettled).
Typical Trade Union crap organisation.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:We have a nice looking bird to conduct the Welsh National anthem on Saturday afternoon and she has apparently been giving singing lessons to the home squad. Seems like a half-decent idea, as from what I have observed since watching England win the World Cup in 1966 most of your players don’t even know the words of ‘God Save The Queen’ when it comes to the pre-match formalities. Anyway, if you're not there but have got Sky TV then this is what you will hear. Do not adjust your spell-checker...

(Pennill Cyntaf - First stanza)

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

(Cytgan - Chorus)

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.
(Ail Bennill - Second stanza)
Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd
Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.

(Cytgan - Chorus)

(Trydydd Pennill - Third stanza)

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad tan ei droed,
Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

(Cytgan - Chorus)

And yes, it sometimes seems like the English and Welsh live on different planets rather than being next door neighbours :D

I'll even start a strictly unofficial Hat on it if anyone wants to join in. Two nil to Engerland (Rooney and Defoe). Att: 74321. UE: Rooney sent off and Terry booked. Mayhem in Cardiff post-match.
That Welsh babbling is in a font that's too small to read. Not that I want to read it.

I fancy Wales to get some sort of result.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:I'll even start a strictly unofficial Hat on it if anyone wants to join in. Two nil to Engerland (Rooney and Defoe). Att: 74321. UE: Rooney sent off and Terry booked. Mayhem in Cardiff post-match.
Sneaky Snakey, very sneaky stealing my pessimistic posting plans to use for your own evil ends. Well I'm going to thwart your trickery by out pessimisting you.

3 - 0 Gareth Bale hat trick. 73,000 7500

Edit due to Gareth Bale being ruled out through injury.

3 - 0 Craig Bellamy hat trick. 73,000 7500
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Post by The OXman Cometh »

I am still fuming over this, Oxford should have kicked off at 1300 then whoever wanted to watch the non event in Cardiff could have got sloshed in a pub at the same time.

Anybody want to use my season ticket!!!!!!

Van der Graf Generator, who are they?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotThe OXman Cometh&quot wrote:I am still fuming over this, Oxford should have kicked off at 1300 then whoever wanted to watch the non event in Cardiff could have got sloshed in a pub at the same time.
Snake and I are both delighted by the decision as this way we can attend both matches.
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Post by The OXman Cometh »

I am still fuming over this, Oxford should have kicked off at 1300 then whoever wanted to watch the non event in Cardiff could have got sloshed in a pub at the same time.

Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:I'll even start a strictly unofficial Hat on it if anyone wants to join in. Two nil to Engerland (Rooney and Defoe). Att: 74321. UE: Rooney sent off and Terry booked. Mayhem in Cardiff post-match.
Sneaky Snakey, very sneaky stealing my pessimistic posting plans to use for your own evil ends. Well I'm going to thwart your trickery by out pessimisting you.

No Gareth Bale (or Giggs), so we have a snowball’s chance in hell. As such I’m going to revise my prediction to Wales 0 Engerland 4 (Rooney hat-trick, Terry)

You really should be grateful that your friendly neighbours are so nice to you.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

No Gareth Bale (or Giggs), so we have a snowball’s chance in hell. As such I’m going to revise my prediction to Wales 0 Engerland 4 (Rooney hat-trick, Terry)

You really should be grateful that your friendly neighbours are so nice to you.
I can see what you are doing you sneaky, sneaky Snake. I'd like to revise my prediction to Wales 5 Engerland 0 Bellamy 3 Ramsey 2
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotThe OXman Cometh&quot wrote:I am still fuming over this, Oxford should have kicked off at 1300 then whoever wanted to watch the non event in Cardiff could have got sloshed in a pub at the same time.

Personally I'm delighted with a Sunday k/o to be honest I'd vote for a Sunday game every week. Today we have England Cricket, England Football and general debauchery then up in the morning and drive to OX4!!