The Ashes - warning: contains Silly Point

Anything yellow and blue
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:Given the pitch and the feeble Aussie bowling, it's either ours or a draw. Depends if we can get rid of these two with the new ball tomorrow and then try and skittle the rest of them during the day.

As for KP, it's clear that his new strategy is to play the first 50 balls gently to get himself in, then turn on the taps. Fair enough - he's not an innings builder, he's more a shock troop to turn around an innings. There's no point criticising it, because a) he's always played like that, it's won us plenty of games, and he's not going to change, and b) he doesn't listen anyway.
Had to check whether this was written after the end of the second day! Feeble Aussi bowling? We produced nothing as good as Siddle's ball to Prior and bowled generally poorly.

Looking back, KP must be really p***** off now. His shot looks worse now looking at the way Ponting and Katich batted. A big century was there for the taking and we should have got in excess of 500.

We will have to bowl very well tomorrow or we will be under a lot of pressure.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

The Aussies will now bat until 5 o’clock Friday, leaving England an hour at the end of the day facing a deficit of about 100. Then on Saturday it will rain most of the time, leaving Sunday as a successful survival day for England.

Snake’s 1st Test Prediction is therefore as follows..

Us 0 Them 0

UE: A short rendition of Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau spontaneously spews out of the main stand during the last few overs of play on Sunday in competition to the Barmy Army’s boring God Save Our Queen song.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Feeble Aussi bowling? We produced nothing as good as Siddle's ball to Prior and bowled generally poorly.
Fred's over to Hughes after lunch?

Not saying our bowling was good, just that their's is just totally benign. I did say &quotours or a draw&quot - there's always the very very miniscule chance of an Aussie collapse this morning - it can happen to anyone.

One thing to mention - Strauss' captaincy, very unimaginative. Why did he keep letting Katich get all those leg side singles off Monty?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:Given the pitch and the feeble Aussie bowling, it's either ours or a draw. Depends if we can get rid of these two with the new ball tomorrow and then try and skittle the rest of them during the day.

As for KP, it's clear that his new strategy is to play the first 50 balls gently to get himself in, then turn on the taps. Fair enough - he's not an innings builder, he's more a shock troop to turn around an innings. There's no point criticising it, because a) he's always played like that, it's won us plenty of games, and he's not going to change, and b) he doesn't listen anyway.
That's a joke isn't it?

If the weather plays no part, we'll be lucky to save this game. I suspect we'll be saved by the forecast downpour in Wales tomorrow.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Feeble Aussi bowling? We produced nothing as good as Siddle's ball to Prior and bowled generally poorly.

Not saying our bowling was good, just that their's is just totally benign. I did say &quotours or a draw&quot - there's always the very very miniscule chance of an Aussie collapse this morning - it can happen to anyone.

One thing to mention - Strauss' captaincy, very unimaginative. Why did he keep letting Katich get all those leg side singles off Monty?
Yes their bowling is benign, and our top score was 63, and a mediocre total of 435.

Their batting is excellent, and they are 1 down for lots, with 2 centuries in the bag already.

Quite how you reach your conclusions, I've no idea. For England to win this, would require a massive collapse and the Aussies failing to achieve in their second innnings.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

It's possibly to see England winning this if Aus end up on a similar score (say 450 all out) sometime today. Wouldn't require a massive collapse, 9 wickets for 200, although would need the pitch to start turning and an improvement from the England bowling. Then, given approximate parity on first innings and the avoidance of rain it would become a 1 innings/day game, but where the aussies have to bat last and you'd make england marginal favourites then, but lots of ifs.

Aus best chance of a win is to bat long, score 600|| and then wait for the pressure to tell. I'd think this is more likely than the first scenario, even given a bit of rain.

Alternatively, rain and a dead pitch could kill it off.
I've got a ticket for the sunday, so I'm hoping whatever happens it lasts till then.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

Yes their bowling is benign, and our top score was 63, and a mediocre total of 435.

Their batting is excellent, and they are 1 down for lots, with 2 centuries in the bag already.

Quite how you reach your conclusions, I've no idea. For England to win this, would require a massive collapse and the Aussies failing to achieve in their second innnings.
Our top score was in fact 69. Accountants and numbers,always a problem :wink:

There's a long way to go in this match, you pundits are concluding far too early. I actually think there will be a result.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote: Fred's over to Hughes after lunch?

Our top score was in fact 69. Accountants and numbers,always a problem :wink:

There's a long way to go in this match, you pundits are concluding far too early. I actually think there will be a result.
:lol: You're just getting me back for your spelling &quotissues&quot.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Our top score was in fact 69. Accountants and numbers,always a problem :wink:
VAT's gone down to 15%, that's why.

343/4 with both centurions gone just before lunch. Not too bad...
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

Yup, decent morning's work. Means they might not get too far ahead now....... :?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quottheox&quot wrote:

Yup, decent morning's work. Means they might not get too far ahead now....... :?
458/4 is not so good.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Raining now. Brilliant idea to hold a Test in Wales! :lol:
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[quote=&quotSmileyMan

I hope that you are wrong about there being a result. If there is we are likely to be 1-0 down.

Must admit that I hated the Aussi journalist on 5 Live today suggesting thta England wouldn't win a Test as the bowling is so poor. He may have a point but why the arrogance!!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Our top score was in fact 69. Accountants and numbers,always a problem :wink:
VAT's gone down to 15%, that's why.

Has VAT gone down to 15%? :shock: :lol:
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Abject bowling today, and then we go and lose those two wickets before that wonderfully soft Welsh rain descended.

I’m currently looking at my £25 ticket for Cardiff in the morning, and a hotel room that must be canceled by 12 noon if I want my money back.

Mmmm, I think I’ll set my alarm for 6 a.m. and check out the Met Office before deciding to go or not.