Does IL have a clue?

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Does IL have a clue?

Post by GodalmingYellow »

SmileyMan wrote:GY, GY, so good he wrote it twice!

First up, I didn't realise you had a monopoly on deciding who is and isn't a supporter. I don't need to justify myself to you, but I've never worn a football shirt that wasn't yellow since I was five. I've seen every bust and felt all the pain. I sat and watched this past season die in the Newport mud.

Your attitude is based entirely around your speculation that everything will go wrong. You have zero evidence for this, other than it's happened to us before so it will happen again. Contrary to your statement, venture capitalists expect to lose[/i] money on a good portion of investements. If you want a guaranteed return, then you stick it in a bank and hope the economy doesn't go Cypriot. Anything they say about getting their money back is designed to give confidence in the investment, nothing more. It's City language, nothing more.

You might be OK with mid-table obscurity. Me, I'd like something less than 30 years old in the trophy cabinet before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

You are right, I didn't realise I had posted the first version of that message, and when I re-read it I deleted the offending words because they were not appropriate. The second version is the only one I intended to post. Had I known the first version had been posted I would have removed it. No need to get your knickers in a twist about it.

You are wrong on my attitude. My experience tells me that when there are risks, very real and significant risks, risks that have affected the club before, it is necessary to seek to try to minimise them. Your attitude appears to be lets spend everything they have and if it goes tits up, it is an unfortunate consequence. That's up to you of course, but you will be very much in the minority.

You are wrong in my attitude, in that the points I have made are direct quotes from the new shareholders about not being prepared to lose money over OUFC. I'm guessing you haven't come across venture capitalists before. They impose strict and high costs terms to ensure they get their money back. They rarely lose. If they buy the KasStad or build a new stadium, their debts will be a first charge on the property, just like happened at Portsmouth and elsewhere.

We would all love to have a team full of stars and win the league by Christmas, but we all know, or at least most of us do, that it costs money to do it that way. A lot of money. Money that the club cannot afford. As it is, the club is losing money hand over fist. To make those losses significantly worse for a small chance of 5 minutes of fame, is nothing less than scandalous without guarantees as to how the debt will be dealt with in the event of failure.

Your small possibility of 5 minutes of fame offer, in exchange for the high possibility years of misery, just isn't worth it and that has been shown time and again with almost every club that as tried it.

You need to come up with credible solutions with high probability of success, to show how your vision would work financially, or there isn't even anything to debate.