Today's the Day

Anything yellow and blue
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Today's the Day

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Well today is the day when, apparently, the players will be told their fate.

Who'll still be an OUFC player by the end of the day?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Not Chris Hargreaves. He's been released. Can't say I'm at all surprised, or too disappointed.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Quite a few players will still be with the club, although they will have been told to start looking for new employers if they can.

I'd imagine Duffy, Burgess and Gilly will be in this list, with us looking for a fee of sorts for the first two.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Indeed - Burgess has been transfer listed.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Another non-surprise - Basham's gone.

New contracts offered to Quinny and Motty.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Slightly disappointed about Burge, still feel he could do a job.

The rest are no surprise really.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:Slightly disappointed about Burge, still feel he could do a job.

The rest are no surprise really.
I suspect that's more about getting a fee for him.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Also gone are Johnson, Brevett, Kennet, Gunn (shame), and Beechers.

I think that just leaves a question mark over Luke Foster of United's ooc players, plus whether or not the loan players will be offered a deal (Corcoran's been released by Cardiff, by the way). I doubt we'll get Zebroski or Rose, and I doubt we'll want Santos, so that just leaves t'other Foster chappy.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I'm not too disappointed with that. Defensively we were pretty good all season so I'm happy to see minimal changes there. I'd rather have kept Burgess, but I guess his wages and the fact he might get a fee probably decided it.

I'd like them to have got rid of Robinson and Gilchrist too, but no-one will take them off our hands.

As for the FosL and FosM, I think FosL would be good to keep, I'm less sure about FosM, he seems very similar to Pettefer to me. Wilmott is an interesting one, I bet they've offered him a smaller contract knowing that him being injured for the 2nd half of the season makes it very unlikely any bigger clubs would be willing to risk signing him on.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

By my maths, that makes Quinn (if he re-signs) United's longest-serving player, followed by Tardif, followed by Motty (if he signs) and Turley.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I wonder how long Gilly and Marvellous will hang around if they don't get selected for the first XI?

With Gilly, as he was signed under the Coca Cola money, I wonder if there is a clause that the money is for a 2 year contract? Unlikely, but it might be another reason for the club hanging on to him.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Maybe Burgess asked for a transfer?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if we get say £100,000 for him could we then add that to the £900,000 playing budget?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:Maybe Burgess asked for a transfer?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if we get say £100,000 for him could we then add that to the £900,000 playing budget?
If I understand the rules correctly it would mean we could spend an extra £25,000 in the following season. If we were to get the money before 1st June then it would add £25,000 to next season's budget.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I wonder how long Gilly and Marvellous will hang around if they don't get selected for the first XI?

With Gilly, as he was signed under the Coca Cola money, I wonder if there is a clause that the money is for a 2 year contract? Unlikely, but it might be another reason for the club hanging on to him.
Depends on what deal they are on doesn't it? Who else is going take them on? Gilchrist is a bit maligned in my view. He played OK in the playoffs. I believe he goes in for surgery in close season which may help.

I'm not expecting Steve Austin next season. But he can stil do a job - albeit only for 25-30 games a season.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:Maybe Burgess asked for a transfer?
If I understand the rules correctly it would mean we could spend an extra £25,000 in the following season. If we were to get the money before 1st June then it would add £25,000 to next season's budget.

So, before 1st June the £100k counts towards the turnover on which the 07/08 cap is calculated, meaning another £25k comes into the reackoning now - after 1st June it counts towards 08/09?