"Rolls Royce" performance

Anything yellow and blue
Isaac
Dashing young thing

"Rolls Royce" performance

Post by Isaac »

I'd not seen anything except highlights this season and I was probably not alone in having low expectations for Derby away so that was a very enjoyable evenings entertainment. Can't really remember when we last had such a good performance. Derby only looked a threat, albeit quite a considerable threat, from set pieces and we could/should have had more goals. The front 4 of Browne, Harris, Goodrham, Bodin were all excellent, pacy, aggressive and well organised. It makes sense that Manning wants a lot of wingers in his squad, given the work they will have to put in. Still need a further striker and left back though (we're one defensive injury away from having to re-jig the entire back line).

Obviously one performance does not make a season and different challenges (going a goal down, or playing against a team who's happy with a draw) might be more of a problem for this style of football but it's encouraging nonetheless.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: "Rolls Royce" performance

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Isaac wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:04 am
Still need a further striker and left back though (we're one defensive injury away from having to re-jig the entire back line).
Yup, that's the big caveat currently. But it's a nice position in which to find ourselves with a chunk of the window still to go, and owners at the helm who seem to be backing the manager. It's also easier to attract players when you've already started reasonably well, so last night's result is a good statement of intent.

I've not see Us yet this season, but will be making the trip to South Yorkshire on Saturday. Looking forward to it.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

As always I am on holiday for the start of the season, but caught this one on iFollow. Overall that was a very impressive performance. Interesting to learn that Waghorn had only ever played at a higher level than this, at least in England. Other than his well taken goal we battled to keep everything out.

We certainly looked good at times going forwards and the sequence of play leading up to the second goal was awesome. Still signings to make and work to do in training, but things are starting to look promising.

TBH though Barnsley will be a much tougher test. Whatever the 'experts' might say about Derby, they have also had an inconsistent start to the season. The performance against Barnsley will be an important one to see how far we still have to go.

BTW was anybody on here wandering around Luxembourg a couple of days ago? We passed a young lad wearing an Oxford shirt, but he wisely ignored the old giffer shouting at him.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Well that was most impressive today. Granted, Barnsley were nowhere near as good as I expected them to be, and granted we got the run of the ball and rode our luck at times. Barnsley had two good chances to equalise and fluffed their lines, but equally we might’ve been 3-0 up by half-time.

In essence, it’s still early days and teams are still finding their feet, BUT we look the real deal. Nine points from three tough games is very impressive (some people had Carlisle at home as a banker, but I saw them twice last year and thought they were excellent both times). We’re a bit weak down the flanks, and Harris is carrying a lot of pressure to score - but I don’t think we’ll be far off it come May based on what we’ve seen so far.

Also, by the bye, Barnsley’s a much nicer town than I’d expected. Friendly people, nice pubs, good food, smashing ground. Perfect weekend away.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

A great result at Barnsley which I hadn't expected after their 7-0 opening day win, and our history at Oakwell.

I hadn't planned on going as none of my usual group were going, and the train tickets were ridiculously expensive.
Then when train strikes were announced for the next two home games, I decided I would go, though as it was booking with under a week to go, even advance tickets were expensive. I went via St Pancras and Sheffield rather than Kings Cross, as that saved around £50 but took about an hour longer. A train cancellation meant I had to go straight to the ground.

Anyway, a nice sunny afternoon which I hadn't anticipated and had a rain coat with me for the day.

A short tribute by the stadium announcer to Michael Parkinson in the build up to kick-off was a nice touch. I don't think he had anything to do with the football club or football in itself, other than being from the town, so I think it was well placed, rather than a full "on the referee's whistle" minute's silence/applause.

Nice early goal to settle our nerves. Shame Browne went off injured so early. Great cross by Mills for the second goal fired in by their defender who couldn't really do much about it. Several chances for both sides missed. Beadle looking better, both goalkeepers made some good saves. Beadle had one squirm through his hands and just past the post.
2-1 made it a bit nervy. O'Donkor's pace was more than enough for their defenders, and once we realised that it was a simple tactic of a lobbed pass in front of their right back, O'Donkor races past, wins the ball and creates a move. Nice goal from Goodhram.
The team seemed to be well up for it too, after our goals they ran over to our end, raising their arms to ask us to get behind the team.

After the match, had time for one pint at the Sheffield Tap and a proper home made pork pie for the journey home.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Impressive again, different to the Derby game in as much as we looked more like conceding, but on the balance of play/chances we still deserved the win. Whole team, including subs look like they know their jobs and are motivated. Pleasantly surprising and unusual good start to the season.
My first look at Mills who didn't look that great until he created the goal. McGuane looks a class above over the last 2 games, but his challenge is doing it over a longer period of time. As ever, the squad depth is a concern as the injuries (Thorniley, Browne) start to mount and the card happy refs (for time-wasting at least) will mean we'll need even more players than usual.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Well, against Charlton it was not Rolls Royce, but after a scrappy second half it was great to see a bit of quality, and at least one lucky ricochet, leading to another cool finish from the man de jour. Now in an incredible bar in Delft raising a glass of Kasteelbier Donker (it seemed appropriate) to four in a row. Looking forward to finally making it in person next week.