The Boot

Anything yellow and blue
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

The Boot

Post by Geoff »

As you may have noticed The Boot competition has been struggling in recent months. We're down to penny numbers in terms of participants but I notice a fair few people still view the competition. Can we encourage any more people to join in or will we have to lay it to rest? Is there a particular element people don't like?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: The Boot

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Personally I got bored when it seemed to become a bit SSU-cliquey a few years back (guessing the colour of the away team's bus, or the number of Oxford fans in a particular pub in Hampshire for example). I think, having got out of the habit, I'd forget to enter more often than I remembered. But also, I'm just not that interested in football predictions. I love watching the game, but guessing what minute the first sub will be, or how many corners we will have, just doesn't really appeal. Sorry.

I think this forum's struggling a bit again in general tbh, though recent weeks have seen a bit more chat. Maybe regular Booters could post in the general section a bit more frequently too? [smiley face, etc]
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Oops!

"a bit SSU-cliquey a few years back" The Boot was devised by someone in SSU who encouraged his mates to take part!

"(guessing the colour of the away team's bus" That was me I think! Don't think it was particulary outrageous for a guessing game but I hadn't counted on someone using the intergooglenet to research the answer!

"or the number of Oxford fans in a particular pub in Hampshire for example)" Don't remember that one but three of us Booters did car share from Hampshire so it might have been me for an away game at Pompey perhaps and it certainly wouldn't have been a pub where only the three of us would be!!

It was fun while it lasted but this whole covid business has caused a general malaise for me and I decided to stop.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

It's been pretty standard questions for years, really with variants for scoring each round. Numbers drifted down last season and fell off a cliff this one. It's a shame, because it's the nearest we've had to a 50p in the kitty, guess the first scorer competition from terrace memories. I miss the Hat, too (particularly the UE) even if scoring it was bloody complicated. And the bus was silver-grey, damn it.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I wondered if I’d get a rise out of my reply! I meant no offence at all - just giving excuses for my lack of engagement (as a non SSU-er).
I think the Boot probably suffers from having its own sub-forum. I forget it exists for 6 months at a time, and then don’t enter for fear of forgetting its existence again.

I’d forgotten about the Hat. Was that a straight predictions thing? I like the idea of a virtual 50p in the pot guess the score type arrangement. Maybe if a predictions thread could be put on the main board for each match, with pre- and post-match chat included and encouraged, rather than everything being kept separate, it might boost traffic both ways. Just an idea...
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Ancient Colin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:01 am And the bus was silver-grey.
Hang on, was it silver or was it grey?