Trouble with a drunk coach

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Trouble with a drunk coach

Post by Dr Bob »

How very 2020 this story was. Just relieved that their scheduled departure from the hotel to the ground was early enough for an alternative to be found.

Thanks to major buffering issues with iPlayer, I only joined the game about 25 minutes in, but from what I saw it looked straight away like the players had realised the importance of pressing, movement and tempo - in short, everything that seemed to have been missing in the first two league games.

Yes, it was great to win, to score four, to reduce the goal difference so much in one go and to jump up the table from 24th to 12th, but it was those other aspects of our play that most impressed me - and left me more than a little relieved, after two rather listless performances.

It is too early to say how much that resulted from an average Accy side (their opening day win against Peterborough notwithstanding), but it was great to see Kelly start to play better, Hall to do well and Forde being given the chance to show just how good he is. For me, he HAS to be given more game time. Great also to see the Henry-Taylor link-up working again. Fantastic control, turn and shot from Taylor.

Also good to see Agyei starting to make a few runs at defenders and going for the deadball line. From Kelly's long pass to Henry's final touch, that was a good team goal. Another thing about Agyei - just on a few occasions in the previous two games, he showed brilliant control to trap a long ball with his back to goal, under tight pressure from a defender, and play the ball off to a team-mate. More of that and of running at defenders when facing the goal and he could be a serious threat - especially if he is playing alongside one or both of Taylor and Winnall.

But what was Eastwood doing, coming for a ball he had no chance of reaching and giving away what for me was a penalty. As for their sending off, I do not see how anybody from the dugouts (with presumably the same view as we had from the main camera) could tell what the hell happened. I assume/hope/trust that the lino/referee's assistant did definitely see something from a completely different angle to all of us, and to the ref. So what if he 'gave' the penalty and the red card rather than the ref did - that is part of his job if the ref misses something.

Mustn't get carried away, but I thought there was improvement all over the pitch. After two 'meh' games, that has finally got me wanting the next game to come around sooner than later...
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Re: Trouble with a drunk coach

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I had the same problem with iFollow. 27 minutes of the match lost.

Much improved performance from the Us though.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I'm getting used to the live stream now. My feed was a few minutes behind at kick-off but after refreshing / clicking the fast forward button it seemed to catch up, and then it was a case of ignoring other social media in case they reported an incident before the stream showed it.

Rob Hall looks back in good form, I feared he was just being kept on as a manager's favourite from their time together at MK.
Matty Taylor's first goal was delightful, pin point pass, chest down, spin and half-volley into the net.

Also the highlights were quite entertaining with the noise from the bench / kitmen or whoever it was.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

What a great manager Robinson is! Went up another place on Sunday without playing!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I too had problems with ifollow. The video wouldn't load using Chrome, and although it worked in Firefox it then froze whenever I tried switching to 'away' audio. It all worked ok on the ios app, but then the picture wouldn't connect to my TV using hdmi (only the audio). So I ended up back with the laptop connected to the TV and listening to the Accrington commentary. I did manage to switch audio during an ad break at half time so had it all working together for the second half. A bit of a pain really, but the first time I've had any problems this season.

Anyway, a much improved performance though maybe the result flattered us a little. After gifting Accy an equaliser (blatant penalty, no question) we relied on a huge stroke of luck to retake the lead, and only stretched it when the home team had been reduced to ten men (for whatever the lino saw - looks like a push/punch on Brannagan from the highlights maybe). The third goal was a fantastic strike, but as a home fan you'd be livid that Taylor had the space to win the ball at all, let alone bring it down and shoot, while three big defenders basically stood and watched. And the fourth should have been saved.

Our general play was sharper and with more urgency. Forde played well and Kelly got better as the game went on. Clare looked dangerous going forwards, but I'm still not remotely convinced that he's a full back. Long wasn't troubled on the other flank and had a strong game. The big difference was that James Henry has started to tick again. Long may that continue, as he's pivotal to the way we play. Eastwood's decision making might have cost us the win (again), but luckily Matty Taylor was on fire to make the result ultimately very comfortable. Nice to be up and running finally.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I wonder how much all these issues with iFollow are costing lower league clubs? I've yet to part with any money to use it (if I'm that fussed about a game, I'll find a way to listen to Radio Oxford), but the longer we go without supporters being allowed in, the more I'd possibly consider it. However, the reports are so mixed that I'd be minded to wait until they can get a reliable service. It's staggering that they've not developed a SmartTV app so people can watch on a big screen rather than on a laptop or a mobile 'phone.

On the subject of Eastwood's poor decision-making, there's clearly a hangover from the playoffs and as KY says it might cost us (again). How seriously do we think KR is considering giving Young Jack Stevens™ a run of games? It's been said that he is pushing for the shirt, and surely the right time to give him a run is when the first-choice goalie is out of form and in need of a break?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:57 am I wonder how much all these issues with iFollow are costing lower league clubs? I've yet to part with any money to use it (if I'm that fussed about a game, I'll find a way to listen to Radio Oxford), but the longer we go without supporters being allowed in, the more I'd possibly consider it. However, the reports are so mixed that I'd be minded to wait until they can get a reliable service. It's staggering that they've not developed a SmartTV app so people can watch on a big screen rather than on a laptop or a mobile 'phone.
In general it's been pretty good this season. I suspect they've ploughed some investment into it as more people use it. A few years ago the audio would often have problems but very rarely now. The lack of a smart TV app is slightly annoying, but all it takes is a HDMI cable to connect laptop to TV and Bob's your uncle (though it didn't work connecting to my ipad - possibly an ios app issue). For away games you're at the mercy of the camera angle and operator (particularly poor for the Lincoln match), but the view at home games is excellent for a single camera shot. Having the local audio synched to the video is good, and the introduction of occasional replays is an improvement too.

People (including me) like to moan when it's not doing everything it could/should, but if you're keen to see the game it's not too bad really, and getting better.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:15 pm
Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:57 am I wonder how much all these issues with iFollow are costing lower league clubs? I've yet to part with any money to use it (if I'm that fussed about a game, I'll find a way to listen to Radio Oxford), but the longer we go without supporters being allowed in, the more I'd possibly consider it. However, the reports are so mixed that I'd be minded to wait until they can get a reliable service. It's staggering that they've not developed a SmartTV app so people can watch on a big screen rather than on a laptop or a mobile 'phone.
In general it's been pretty good this season. I suspect they've ploughed some investment into it as more people use it. A few years ago the audio would often have problems but very rarely now. The lack of a smart TV app is slightly annoying, but all it takes is a HDMI cable to connect laptop to TV and Bob's your uncle (though it didn't work connecting to my ipad - possibly an ios app issue). For away games you're at the mercy of the camera angle and operator (particularly poor for the Lincoln match), but the view at home games is excellent for a single camera shot. Having the local audio synched to the video is good, and the introduction of occasional replays is an improvement too.

People (including me) like to moan when it's not doing everything it could/should, but if you're keen to see the game it's not too bad really, and getting better.
An app for smart tv would be good. I don't have a laptop and my home pc is upstairs and i don't have a long enough HDMI cable to connect. Also as it is a pc it doesn't have its own wifi, so I can't smart connect the tv to pc either. Anyway, I have a decent 22" widescreen monitor as a first screen with a second screen to watch / read other websites and now have a comfortable computer chair to sit in for the match.

I suspect the people running ifollow / the EFL have convinced themselves that a tv app will result in pubs and clubs showing games illegally.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Also, prior to Covid there wouldn't have been enough users (i.e. it was only "overseas" fans and the occasional midweek match) to justify the cost of producing a smart tv app.
I've used ifollow quite regularly for over 2 seasons and I've always found it pretty good in terms of reliability/quality.
We were better on saturday but we're still a fair way off what we were last season, obviously missing Dickie defensively and temporarily the lack of Gorrin is making a big difference too.