Freefall

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Freefall

Post by recordmeister »

recordmeister wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:09 pm Famous last words, but we *should* win at least 5 of our next 6 games, if not all of them. If we do, we are really in with a chance.
Yeah. So, what are we on? 4/6? *Should* now becomes *poor if we don’t*
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

If we do win the next two games, there's a slim chance we'll be in an automatic promotion slot. At which point we'll get some sort of collective nosebleed, faint, and wake up in April
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

If we do gain promotion, are we allowed to refuse (and then choose who we'd like to take our place in the land of VAR)?
Can't see the attraction of playing at a higher level. Prefer the giant killing antics which come from being a L1 side.
Bring back the black away shirt!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Looking at the Championship table, Blackburn and Millwall look to be the only top half survivors of recent promotions from League 1. Wigan, Barnsley, Charlton, Luton fill four of the bottom six places. It's a tough league where a lot of money gets spent and parachute payments distort the league even further.

So our recent transfer window ended up with players leaving, so not a big commitment to having a real go for the play-offs, which perhaps means we wouldn't be ready for survival in the Championship either if we did get there. Our board could have some big plans, but no real sign of it yet other than we have gone nearly a whole year without a winding up order.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I thought that too Slappy, until I looked a little closer. There are 3 tiers of parachute payments. The first year is the highest and the third year the lowest.

The top 6 includes Leeds, Forest, Brentford, Preston, none of whom presently receive parachute payments.

Positions 7 - 10 includes Bristol City, Blackburn and Millwall, again none of whom receive parachute payments and Swansea are on the final and lowest tier of parachute payments.

So in the top 10, only West Brom and Fulham receive the top 2 tiers of parachute payments.

In the top half of the table, Cardiff are the only other side in receipt of parachute payments.

Having said all that, I suspect all of those clubs run very large and unsustainable annual deficits.

Interestingly, the top half of the table consists almost entirely of those clubs with the highest average home attendances, all in excess of 18,000, bar 4 clubs - Brentford, Preston, Millwall and Blackburn, all of whom have attendances lower than 13,800, which is not that much greater than a sold out KasStad. Add a 4th stand...

Survival in the Championship would require being able to sell a lot more more tickets, part of which would come with bigger away attendances and part from availability to home fans of better regular opponents, and getting hold of the commercial revenues. But then we knew all that already. Not forgetting possible larger deficits.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

OY you might like to read the Price of Football by Kieran Maguire. The first few chapters are basic accounting so perhaps nothing new to learn , but then after that there are a good few chapters on financial fair play, ticket prices , tv deals , and valuing a football club. With good worked examples.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Cheers Slappy, will do.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Well that was a good result from 2-0 down to come back and win 3-2. Other scores went our way too and somehow we are third. There are 7 teams on 59-62 points so all must fancy their chances of the 2nd auto promotion spot seeing as Rotherham were beaten 3-1 by Rochdale who are in 19th place.

I love Agyei’s goal as it looks like he has given up the attack by moving back but then fires a bullet in.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Hah, the title of this thread is quite amusing in retrospect. Hard to imagine what I felt like just a month ago!
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Jimski wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:41 pm Hah, the title of this thread is quite amusing in retrospect. Hard to imagine what I felt like just a month ago!
Can you start next season's thread in September please? :mrgreen:
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Excellent results for us last night as well.

What I imagine may derail us this season is the c-virus and the impact this will have on our (already dreadful) finances. It is only a matter of time before we see games being played behind closed doors/the season postponed. Given how much we are already losing this season, the financial impact on us will be significant, especially as we would expect some big gates in the last few games. I would hope they relax the broadcasting rules so we could all pay the club to watch it on yellow player.

If any squad player gets it, from our squad or a team we will be playing, they and the rest of the team will need to self isolate and the game would likely not go ahead - just look at the Arsenal, Man City game tonight, just a hint of a problem has resulted in it being called off.

I think the situation is going to get very messy very quickly and the health of everyone will rightly take priority but this will result in some clubs going into severe financial troubles.

Still I'm going to enjoy being third while I can - a fantastic effort from Robbo and the boys.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

ty cobb wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:29 pm Excellent results for us last night as well.

Still I'm going to enjoy being third while I can - a fantastic effort from Robbo and the boys.
When I was posting earlier on this thread, I hoped we could turn it around, but was not expecting the upturn in form we have seen of late. What I certainly did not foresee is that several of the teams that, at the time, were doing so well, would drop off again. I thought Rotherham were certs to go up (and of course they might still do), but Ipswich's total implosion, Sunderland's capacity for dropping key points and the likes of Pompey and Fleetwood drawing are all contributing factors. A key factor will be winning rather than drawing in the upcoming big 6-pointers.

And, given that quite a few of us are probably thinking back to the Spring of 1996:
Who will give us our Moody and Massey photo-opp/t-shirt image at Wycombe?
Which game will be our Blackpool?
Who will score the crucial late Joey-Goal?
If KR wears a tartan hat and wig will he be charged with cultural appropriation?
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Dr Bob wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:05 pm
ty cobb wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:29 pm Excellent results for us last night as well.

When I was posting earlier on this thread, I hoped we could turn it around, but was not expecting the upturn in form we have seen of late. What I certainly did not foresee is that several of the teams that, at the time, were doing so well, would drop off again. I thought Rotherham were certs to go up (and of course they might still do), but Ipswich's total implosion, Sunderland's capacity for dropping key points and the likes of Pompey and Fleetwood drawing are all contributing factors. A key factor will be winning rather than drawing in the upcoming big 6-pointers.

And, given that quite a few of us are probably thinking back to the Spring of 1996:
Who will give us our Moody and Massey photo-opp/t-shirt image at Wycombe?
Which game will be our Blackpool?
Who will score the crucial late Joey-Goal?
If KR wears a tartan hat and wig will he be charged with cultural appropriation?
Alex Gorrin swinging from the crossbar?