Play up Pompey

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Play up Pompey

Post by slappy »

Sad to say the Remembrance Day was a cock up by Pompey. Not sure what went wrong but we had a long period of silence at 3 pm. Then a few latecomers were chanting from outside the ground as they didn’t realise a silence was being held. Then we had the last post and another minutes silence. At some point all the players ran out too. And I think the ref didn’t whistle at the end either.

Anyway I’ll take a point at Pompey particularly in the 90th minute. beautiful pass to Matt Taylor, what a poacher. Hope we keep him in January. No complaints about the penalty.

Questions for stattoes: when were we last this high in the league and what happened after (obviously we went lower). Also this unbeaten league run: What’s our best run and what happened / when happened last time . What are the answers if you include non league ?

No idea on the answers but someone probably does.
Last edited by slappy on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Play up Pompey

Post by recordmeister »

In the 2006/7 season (where I managed every game thanks in part to a record company expense account and the 'need to discover artists in unusual places' such as Lewes and Weymouth... or that's at least what I told my bosses...!) we didn't lose for 19 games in a row. The result? Nothing. We didn't go up.

In the 2009/10 season we only lost 8 (eight) times, with the longest unbeaten run of games being 10 games (from the opening league match to the Mansfield away game). The result? Promotion, via the Play-Offs.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Just come across this interesting article:
https://totalfootballanalysis.com/match ... is-tactics
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

slappy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:26 pm

Questions for stattoes: when were we last this high in the league and what happened after (obviously we went lower).
Would suggest it was 1995/96 and in fact we didn't go lower we ended up going even higher, up to 2nd at the end of the season clinching promotion to what is now the championship.

As for the game on Sat, I thought we were the better team until Ruffs went off injured and we really messed our defence up by putting Long and Dickie out of position - would have liked to see Forde there personally. I thought we controlled the game pretty well but didn't really test their keeper at all, wheras they had some promising positions and hit the bar. They really sat back for the last 15, inviting us on which meant by the end a draw was probably fair.

Makes such a difference going to a decent ground which is pretty much full for both home and away fans. If the Ipswich game is called off we can hopefully get some of these players rested up and ready to go again. Interesting interview with Taylor afterwards where he thought he would be here until the end of the season - if so and him and the other key players stay fit we stand a real chance. Now we just need the stadium sorted, 12,500 won't be enough in the championship without having the end filled in and giving some large away support somewhere to go.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

ty cobb wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:53 pm

Questions for stattoes: when were we last this high in the league and what happened after (obviously we went lower).
Would suggest it was 1995/96 and in fact we didn't go lower we ended up going even higher, up to 2nd at the end of the season clinching promotion to what is now the championship.
Our last season in the second tier was 1998-1999 when we were relegated. I'm not familiar with how 1999/00 and 2000/01 started off in the third tier, but as we finished 20th and 24th it seems unlikely although not impossible that we were ever higher than fourth place. Also our current three seasons in the third tier I don't remember ever being as high as fourth.

So depending how you interpret the question, it's either the last game of 1995/96 being 2nd in tier 3, or the last game in 1998/99 being 23rd in tier 2.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

ty cobb wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:53 pm

As for the game on Sat, I thought we were the better team until Ruffs went off injured and we really messed our defence up by putting Long and Dickie out of position - would have liked to see Forde there personally. I thought we controlled the game pretty well but didn't really test their keeper at all, wheras they had some promising positions and hit the bar. They really sat back for the last 15, inviting us on which meant by the end a draw was probably fair.

Makes such a difference going to a decent ground which is pretty much full for both home and away fans. If the Ipswich game is called off we can hopefully get some of these players rested up and ready to go again. Interesting interview with Taylor afterwards where he thought he would be here until the end of the season - if so and him and the other key players stay fit we stand a real chance. Now we just need the stadium sorted, 12,500 won't be enough in the championship without having the end filled in and giving some large away support somewhere to go.
How quickly are you expecting a stadium deal to be sorted and any building work to proceed? 12,500 will have to be enough for at least 4 years. Bournemouth manage with the away fans in a smaller ground in the Premiership.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

slappy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:56 pm Also our current three seasons in the third tier I don't remember ever being as high as fourth.
Depends how you count it. When Gino van Kessel bamboozled the Pompey defence to seal a 3-0 win two short seasons ago, we went top of the L1 table with 6 points from 2 games. So we've been higher than fourth recently, though not for long.

The 2006-07 season was a strange one. We went 18 league games unbeaten at the start of the season, winning 14 of them, yet still finished 14 points adrift of Dagenham. The fun of the Conference!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:23 pm
slappy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:56 pm Also our current three seasons in the third tier I don't remember ever being as high as fourth.
Depends how you count it. When Gino van Kessel bamboozled the Pompey defence to seal a 3-0 win two short seasons ago, we went top of the L1 table with 6 points from 2 games. So we've been higher than fourth recently, though not for long.

The 2006-07 season was a strange one. We went 18 league games unbeaten at the start of the season, winning 14 of them, yet still finished 14 points adrift of Dagenham. The fun of the Conference!
https://www.transfermarkt.com/league-on ... spieltag=2
I'm not entirely sure how this works by matchday when some games get postponed for instance, but I see what you mean for the start of 2017/18.

There must or should be a site or somewhere you can pick any date (or perhaps even a time) and see a live league table.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:31 pm https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/lea ... gust-2017/

You’re welcome!
Thank you, much better than the one I was using, although a bit confusing with all the league name changes.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Didn't you know leagues don't count until at least 10 games in!

And RR - we can manage as it is, but even this season we will be turning down away fans who want to attend our ground. A small stand for 2000 behind the goal would cover most away fans, allow us to sell more in North Stand if needed, but if we were to go up there would be a lot of away fans who would not get a ticket - seems like wasted revenue to me.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

ty cobb wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:56 pm Didn't you know leagues don't count until at least 10 games in!

And RR - we can manage as it is, but even this season we will be turning down away fans who want to attend our ground. A small stand for 2000 behind the goal would cover most away fans, allow us to sell more in North Stand if needed, but if we were to go up there would be a lot of away fans who would not get a ticket - seems like wasted revenue to me.
Yeah... well I personally wished there had been fewer Orient fans at the home game in 2005/6.

So long as we sell out to home fans, I couldn’t give a flying firoz about away fans. Give ‘em the minimum allocation, always.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

recordmeister wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:53 am So long as we sell out to home fans, I couldn’t give a flying firoz about away fans. Give ‘em the minimum allocation, always.
Never understand this mentality. Do as you would be done by, otherwise you have no right to complain when we're given a lousy allocation and charged £25 to stand on a crumbling open terrace in the rain somewhere with inadequate toilet provision. If away fans want to come and spend their money with us, I want them to enjoy everything about the day apart from the result and to bring as many fans as possible.

The Orient game was a weird anomaly to that, but frankly I remain convinced we'd still have shat the bed even if the ground had been 100% comprised of Oxford fans.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Id always want the majority of home matches to be full of as many home supporters as possible. And as an away fan, I’d expect that too.

I’m also not sure how much financial benefit there is to the club of supporters of any denomination spending money in and around the Kassam...
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

recordmeister wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:26 pm Id always want the majority of home matches to be full of as many home supporters as possible. And as an away fan, I’d expect that too.

I’m also not sure how much financial benefit there is to the club of supporters of any denomination spending money in and around the Kassam...
It was one of the things mentioned when asked why the club doesn't run ticket promotions to get more fans in. Apart from ticket income the club doesn't really benefit financially from fans on match days to subsidise cheap tickets.