Cup draw

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Cup draw

Post by Kernow Yellow »

1-1 against Sunderland - who’d have thunk it? In recent previous versions of that result we’ve been unlucky not to win. Last night not so much.

A slightly scratchy performance against a team who were considerably better than Rochdale. We rode our luck in the first quarter as Sunderland looked to get round the back of our defence time after time. We didn’t get much help from the linesman though - I thought many of their most dangerous moments should have been flagged offside, including when they hit the post.

Our goal was a reminder of how scintillating our attacking play can be, but thereafter we wasted good chances as Sunderland looked rattled. We do need to be more clinical when presented with gift-wrapped opportunities. The start of the second half was our strongest spell, with Baptiste’s two efforts (one saved, one mishit) and the misplaced crosses from both flanks as Matty Taylor lurked menacingly.

But then we fell apart as our midfield disappeared and we sat too deep. Sunderland’s goal was definitely coming, and we were very fortunate to hang on for penalties. No criticism of our defence, but the midfield didn’t offer enough protection (a reminder of our earlier season frailties). Baptiste particularly gave the ball away several times, and if Forde was supposed to shore things up his introduction had the opposite effect. And of course Rob Hall ran out of legs long before he was subbed which didn’t help matters. I’d have been tempted to bring Mousinho into midfield around 70 mins.

A word for Tariqe Fosu - how is such a skilful player in League 1? His control was miles above anyone else on the pitch. A real joy to watch.

Anyway, the shootout was fun if you like that sort of thing (I do when we win them). I’m not sure I’ve seen a penalty hit harder than Mousinho’s. Lovely stuff.

Who do you want next round? Everton away for me - a proper old ground I’ve never been to (ditto Anfield, but we’ve less chance against Liverpool).
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Cup draw

Post by ty cobb »

I agree with much of that, I thought we were lucky to get through, watching the highlights confirmed how much better their chances were. I was impressed by how the full backs pushed on although it was noticeable that Sunderland were often putting the ball into the space behind them in the hope of stretching the legs of our more mobile than then look centre backs. I thought the balls in the last third from Sunderland were really poor and let us off the hook on a number of occasions.

In terms of hard hit penalties I will raise you Moodys against Burnley when we beat them 5-0 (how times have changed).

Next round, I saw us beat Everton in the same cup so would rather Anfield or Old Trafford if we had to play a big team, but I would really want Colchester and a chance to get to the semis of a major cup competition.

Roll on Sat - anyone else disappointed we haven't sold out, they have and with the run we're on I would hope we would have done as well.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

A great night where we rode our luck a bit against a powerful Sunderland side - who are clearly turning the corner under Parkinson - and prevailed with as pretty much a perfect execution of a penalty shoot out as you can get. As well as Mous's piledriver (Dave Fogg anyone?), you have to mention Fosu's top bins effort too.

Next round: Villa/Wolves away would be a short train-hop for me; Colchester (h), with all due respect, would maximise our chance of getting to the semi's, otherwise - anyone will do!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yeah, we were probably second best overall, and Sunderland should have had a penalty late on, but then again it's also true that Sunderland scored from their only shot on target. Anyway a great night (though I hate watching penalties!) Fosu is indeed incredibly skillful and effective - why did Charlton let him go? And we need Brannagan back as soon as possible.

Next round:
First choice: Colchester at home
Second choice: anyone else at home.

Definitely not Colchester away!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Well we did sell out the home tickets in the end, even if it was only on the afternoon of the match. I got the feeling that this was a reward for the outstanding results we've had recently which make casual fans sit up and notice, rather than any particular marketing. Of course it was a league cup 4th round, but it was only against Sunderland who aren't a Premier League big draw anymore and there isn't a rivalry. For the West Ham game, I think there are a lot more of their fans in Oxfordshire with us as a second team or vice versa so the crowd was perhaps more biased towards seeing an EPL team. Last night from what I've read it was a match that people wanted to bring friends and family, and at least we didn't let them down even if it wasn't the usual 3-0.

Before the match I was saying how much confidence the players had, not afraid to have shots on goal, and it was said that this year we don't really have a scapegoat who fans seem to love to get on the back of. You know the sort of player who gets booed or groaned at for any little mistake (Smalley/Craddock/Ryan Taylor/Dean Morgan, early Whing and Dunkley). So in the last several matches we watch players perhaps misplace passes or shoot wide and we just let them get on with it.

Anyway, a few changes saw Rob Hall start up front - and I think he is a player that fans are still waiting to convince he is back to fitness. Early on he tried going past about five defenders before being tackled in the box and after he'd scored he didn't seem quite up to pace and spent about two minutes down injured.

I thought Sunderland played pretty well. Two players out wide, and they pressed our team into making mistakes, and also drove attacks through the midfield as well as from out wide. In recent games it's been us playing the passing football and not having to run around too much, whereas now we were getting marked early on, having to track back and tackle them and seemed pretty tired second half. Our goal was obviously from a rebound off our post, Sunderland missed an open goal from about six yards out, and they had several more chances and corners as the second half progressed. I wasn't surprised to see them equalise, and glad we hung on for the draw.

The new-ish format of straight to penalties suits the night games as it means you aren't getting home even later than normal. Our penalties were superb, Fosu with a little shimmy before a goal in the top right, whereas the others were blasted in. Grigg seems to be the Sunderland scapegoat, supposedly signed by the owners as a goalscorer and Jack Ross didn't know how to get the best out of him and he seems to be out of confidence too. Good save by Eastwood too.

Next round, I don't think any teams will be playing under-21s or fringe squad players as the chance of a semi-final is too high. I'm not too bothered who we get, home under lights but not against Man City who we played the other year.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Jimski wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:38 pm Definitely not Colchester away!
I don't know, it would be a new ground to visit at least. Probably get a better view than at Layer Road too, though I have fond memories of half-seeing Phil Whelan score a winning goal while sat on his arse there once.

Anyone else noticed that we've been drawn at home in every round so far? Shades of 86 (and 88).
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

With the prize being a semi final of 2 legs, I’d take Colcheter at home- winnable and then we’d get 2 matches against a Prem League side.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Everton and Colchester the only two of the quarter-finalists not to have won this competition before.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Meh. Home to Colchester and we stood a decent chance of getting through. Away to one of the other 6 and we would have got a payday. Home to anybody other than Man City and we would have seen a new team at Grenoble Road. I shall still be there, but it does not excite me so much. And I hope they sort out the coach parking after the game this time...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Yep - home to Villa or Leicester probably the only two less enticing draws than this for me. Would have loved a trip to a proper big PL ground. Oh well, we’re a better team now than when we played them last.

Anyone know how many ties are televised? Man U v Colchester is a shoe-in for TV, but we must have a chance.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Pretty pleased with a home draw again, but I would have taken ManUre, ManShitty, Colchester, or Leicester away for the new ground opportunity.

At this stage, realistically, almost anything is a bonus.

In terms of the Sunderland match, Robbo made quite a few changes for players who had not played regularly for a while. That inevitably made us a little more disjointed than we've become used to of late. That and the lack of CamBran.

I felt we looked solid and organised at the back, and despite their possession, Sunderland didn't force Easty into any significant saves. Their keeper made a couple of very good saves on the other hand.

On top of our disjointedness, I felt Robbo left the subs 20 minutes too late. Fosu, Hall, Baptiste and to a lesser extent Taylor, were pretty much out on their feet with 30 minutes remaining. We can question why they were so leggy, but that doesn't alter the facts and the action that should have been taken. Instead we sat back and tried to soak up the pressure, which is rarely a good idea.

Overall, I felt we had the upper hand in the first half, and Sunderland were better in the second and 1-1 was a fair result on 90 minutes.

I hate penalty shootouts, they are far too random a method of sorting out a match result. But our penalty takers are generally pretty good and we deserved the win on the basis that we performed the better in the shootout.

Looking forward to the quarter final, but we'll need to put out a stronger line up to have any chance of winning.