Doncaster Rovers

Anything yellow and blue
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Doncaster Rovers

Post by Geoff »

Having missed the last six games i was keen to attend yesterday and wasn't disappointed. You couldn't fault one of our players in an excellent team performance. I would pick out Fosu, who excelled both in attack and defence. Whereas earlier in the season, while trying to attain match fitness, he only produced 30 minute cameos he is now affecting the course of games. Doncaster showed in patches they are a capable team but we restricted those moments to a minimum.

Considering we had Taylor, Forde, Napa, Thorne, Hanson and Woodburn missing, the club and Robinson deserve credit for the depth of our squad.
Last edited by Geoff on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Doncaster Rovers

Post by slappy »

I thought Doncaster looked a good team and the only way to play us at the moment is to play ugly. The players seem to have their confidence back and aren't afraid to have a shot when perhaps a less confident player might try and pass it for someone else to try and get in a better position. So more shots maens a better chance of one of them being a goal. After next Saturday's match we have an empty Tuesday for the Bury game but we are looking good in the table with the second highest goals scored. I also think think we have a very good chance of beating Sunderland at home in the League Cup.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

We played a patient passing game for much of the time - the difference with tippy-tappy crab football being that when the opportunity for a forward pass came, we took it - with forward players looking to get into space to receive the ball. For parts of the first half, Rovers played some good passing shapes as well, but our pressing in midfield and covering in defence (including excellent tracking back from Fosu and Henry) meant they never seriously threatened our goal. At times, as Rovers came forward I noticed how our midfield created a large arc to protect the back line. We simply cannot leave it up to the defenders to defend. I think the work ethic of everyone to defend has been crucial in our recent run of clean sheets.

Rovers had one of the best defensive records before yesterday, but at times it was a hot knife through butter as well drove forward. The passing and movement was just enjoyable to watch. The only time we really fell away was a period in the second half when we lost shape in midfield, but at the same time we abandoned pass-and-move and resorted to players trying to run with the ball when surrounded by Rovers players. Even then though, the back six (including Gorrin) did really well. That one block more or less on the line from Mous was quality.

My only complaint was that on three or so occasions, Gorrin went in for a ball with another Oxford player and on all occasions we ended up losing the ball. So long as he learns to shout to claim the ball, that minor irritation will be salved. And if that is my biggest gripe...

As someone asked on RadOx last night - when was the last time we won three successive home league games 3-0? At the minute I am enjoying our football than I have for a very, very long time. I can recall times past when we were defensively tight, but to be scoring goals as freely as we are currently on top of that is giving me a very rare glowing feeling.

Oh and I do wish callers into RadOx would stop telling the Board to back Robinson. What do they think the Board has been doing?! Six changes and we still stuff West Ham. Six major players missing with injuries yesterday and we still put out a team like that. In the period of two or three subs and multi-player benches I cannot recall us EVER having such strength in depth. Credit also to KR, for developing a style of play and then getting the players to understand it to the point that players can swap in with little or no disruption caused.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

We could have made that an embarrassing score for Doncaster, who did look like good passers. We were so much on top in the second half that we got a bit casual - Fosu’s terrible free kick - and could have let them back in but if Taylor had been playing I’m sure he would have scored a couple, as so many lovely low crosses flashed across the box.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Dr Bob wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:02 pm Oh and I do wish callers into RadOx would stop telling the Board to back Robinson. What do they think the Board has been doing?! Six changes and we still stuff West Ham. Six major players missing with injuries yesterday and we still put out a team like that. In the period of two or three subs and multi-player benches I cannot recall us EVER having such strength in depth.
Quite. The best way for the Board to back KR and the club now is to make progress on the stadium situation. There is the danger that our on-field progress and purple patch of form stops us from remembering just how precarious we are financially without a home of our own and a lease that is coming towards its end on the only option we currently have.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

One thing I noticed was how much work in defence Fosu was doing. Someone said as he is relatively small, when we have a corner or free kick we send the big guys up and so he hangs back in midfield ready to get back and defend any breakaway.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

slappy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:35 pm One thing I noticed was how much work in defence Fosu was doing. Someone said as he is relatively small, when we have a corner or free kick we send the big guys up and so he hangs back in midfield ready to get back and defend any breakaway.
Looks like the Oxford Mail noticed this too https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1796 ... fensively/