Sincil Bank - Operation Yellowhammer

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Sincil Bank - Operation Yellowhammer

Post by OUFC4eva »

Lincoln City 0 - 6 Oxford Utd

LET THAT SINK IN !

I saw us beat Walsall 6-3 in 1983, I saw us beat Gillingham 6-0 in 1986, Shrewsbury 6-0 in 1996, Halifax 6-1 in 2001, Eastbourne 6-3 in 2008
Bristol Rovers 6-1 in 2010 and now 6-0 away from home at Lincoln.

In football you never know what’s going to happen....
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Sincil Bank - Operation Yellowhammer

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Incredible result, and one that begs the question: how good are we?

Ten league games in, and we can usually start to deduce something. At this point last season, we were second bottom and I was calling for Robinson's head. Today, we sit 12th with a decidedly mid-table record of W3 D3 L4.

As Oxblogger has written, we look like a side who'll be massively inconsistent, capable of doing a number on a decent team like Lincoln but also of dropping points at Bolton. I'd cautiously consider upping my pre-season prediction of 19th, but I'd be surprised if we could mount and sustain a serious play-off challenge at this point. We have a decidedly soft defensive underbelly, whilst up front I don't see any striker capable of getting 20+ goals, although they'll all have spells of good form.

As for Robbo, he's clearly got the side performing well at times, although his fixation with 4-2-3-1 means we can be a tad predictable. And he still hasn't learnt to STFU when a microphone is pointed at him. I was listening to his post-match interview on Saturday with a friend who watches Oxford 2-3 times a year but doesn't follow us closely, and his comment was: "Blimey. Talks a lot, doesn't he?" - it's not so bad after a thumping win, but even then less can be more.

So yes, well done for Saturday, and I'm cautiously optimistic compared to my pre-season predictions. But we're some way off being the finished article.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Ridiculous scoreline! I'd be interested to know from those that were there whether we played like world-beaters, or if it was more a case of everything we hit going in - ie was it quality finishing for once, or a top quality display all round? I was abroad (we always seem to have great results when I'm out of the country) and not able to listen.

Great away days are something to treasure - I was lucky to be at Portsmouth 1 Us 4 (Wilder), Notts County 2 Us 4 (Appleton) and even Plymouth 0 Us 4 (Clotet) among others in recent years. Let's hope Saturday kickstarts some better times away from home under Robinson.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:24 pm Ridiculous scoreline! I'd be interested to know from those that were there whether we played like world-beaters, or if it was more a case of everything we hit going in - ie was it quality finishing for once, or a top quality display all round? I was abroad (we always seem to have great results when I'm out of the country) and not able to listen.

Great away days are something to treasure - I was lucky to be at Portsmouth 1 Us 4 (Wilder), Notts County 2 Us 4 (Appleton) and even Plymouth 0 Us 4 (Clotet) among others in recent years. Let's hope Saturday kickstarts some better times away from home under Robinson.
We played with a lot of confidence, and also it looked from the highlights like Lincoln were too slow to defend. I didn't see the match on Tuesday, but for the first time in a while we seemed to be actually shooting, rather than fannying around trying to get the ball into the box for someone else to shoot, by which time the defence has got back into position.