Wirral Oxford

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Wirral Oxford

Post by Kernow Yellow »

A straightforward victory, but not a particularly convincing one despite the comfortable scoreline. We certainly looked a lot more solid than in recent matches I've seen, but whether that was to do with Us tightening up or the limited threat offered by Tranmere is open to question.

Nobody played badly, but things didn't really seem to click often enough in the final third. Gorrin and Brannagan gave us control in the middle of the park, which in turn meant the defence wasn't put under too much pressure. Given that we were clearly the better passing team, it was a little disappointing how much we resorted to longball clearances from Eastwood and Dickie in particular. Maybe we'd just decided to keep it simple in an attempt to get back to winning ways.

The penalties both looked correct decisions, and were both calmly despatched - I don't generally like seeing a player take two spot kicks in one game (maybe just bad memories of Dean Saunders in the League Cup semi-final all those years ago), but Henry did the job well. Brannagan's goal was the result of some very nice build-up play, though apparently the deflection may have been from an offside Mackie. Great to see Baptiste featuring regularly again - if he can stay injury-free and get a run of games under his belt he looks like a serious player. And although Taylor didn't see much of the ball when he came on, his runs off the ball were timed so much more dangerously than Mackie's. Once our midfield start to read what he's doing (and vice versa) the goals should come.

All in all a decent win. I have a horrible feeling that Bolton might start to get their mojo back tomorrow night, but let's hope we can build on Tranmere with another decent result and pull away from the bottom of the table. I'm not convinced that we're likely to play well enough consistently enough to challenge anywhere near the top of the table, but Saturday showed that we should be comfortably good enough to keep ahead of the weakest teams.

Credit to the Tranmere fans too, who came in good number and made some decent noise. I guess they're riding the crest of a wave following two promotions. That won't be happening again anytime soon judging by their team's performance...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: Wirral Oxford

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:42 pm A straightforward victory, but not a particularly convincing one despite the comfortable scoreline. We certainly looked a lot more solid than in recent matches I've seen, but whether that was to do with Us tightening up or the limited threat offered by Tranmere is open to question.

Nobody played badly, but things didn't really seem to click often enough in the final third. Gorrin and Brannagan gave us control in the middle of the park, which in turn meant the defence wasn't put under too much pressure. Given that we were clearly the better passing team, it was a little disappointing how much we resorted to longball clearances from Eastwood and Dickie in particular. Maybe we'd just decided to keep it simple in an attempt to get back to winning ways.

The penalties both looked correct decisions, and were both calmly despatched - I don't generally like seeing a player take two spot kicks in one game (maybe just bad memories of Dean Saunders in the League Cup semi-final all those years ago), but Henry did the job well. Brannagan's goal was the result of some very nice build-up play, though apparently the deflection may have been from an offside Mackie. Great to see Baptiste featuring regularly again - if he can stay injury-free and get a run of games under his belt he looks like a serious player. And although Taylor didn't see much of the ball when he came on, his runs off the ball were timed so much more dangerously than Mackie's. Once our midfield start to read what he's doing (and vice versa) the goals should come.

All in all a decent win. I have a horrible feeling that Bolton might start to get their mojo back tomorrow night, but let's hope we can build on Tranmere with another decent result and pull away from the bottom of the table. I'm not convinced that we're likely to play well enough consistently enough to challenge anywhere near the top of the table, but Saturday showed that we should be comfortably good enough to keep ahead of the weakest teams.

Credit to the Tranmere fans too, who came in good number and made some decent noise. I guess they're riding the crest of a wave following two promotions. That won't be happening again anytime soon judging by their team's performance...
Feel free to bookmark this but I don't. They got smashed 6-1 on Saturday and that's after precociously taking the lead. If we can't dominate that game and get a decent result, then our tactics and performance need to be seriously questioned. Only Coventry have failed to spank Bolton and the stats suggest that they really should have given them a good seeing to.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

One of the important aspects of Saturday's game - which was picked up on after the match on RadOx - was Fosu's tracking back and defending. On a number of occasions I noticed him break up threatening looking attacks like that. We cannot rely only on the 'defenders' to defend - that was a much improved performance from Fosu. Well - apart from trying to take the first penalty rather than let the designated player do so. The general view around me in the SSU was that it simply added pressure onto Henry - not that you would have noticed. But I also liked the way the other players put their arm around Fosu, and how he then joined in the celebration. All positive signs of a player maturing.

Tranmere were a very limited team, but I also think we were affected by their niggly approach. Frankly, on that performance they appear to have been promoted above their level. And we earned two penalties through attacking runs into the box, and a goal that came from attacking runs into the box. Simple game really...although against a team with players the size of some of their defenders, running at them rather than going down the wings and crossing into the box was a lot more effective. A lesson there, methinks.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I think there is too much downplaying of Tranmere. They weren't great, but they weren't appalling either. Like many teams in this division, they lack a cutting edge, or a special player to make something different happen.

We are still looking a bit disjointed, but with so many players returning from injury periods, that isn't very surprising.

I'm not going to say it, though half of me wants to...

The return of Matty T was useful because he drags defenders all over the place, leaving big gaps for us to exploit. Clearly not fit yet for more than 15 - 20 minutes though.

I really want to say it, but I'm not going to....

Cadden is a quality player at right wing back, CamBran oozes class, Fosu has the pace, Henry has the guile, Mousinho has the experience, Dickie has the height, Gorrin has the fight, Baptiste has the skill, Eastwood has the athleticism, Ruffels has drive, etc, etc. The squad is vastly superior to last season.

Sorry I have to say it. Tomorrow we go to Bolton, who should by all accounts be relatively the worst league opposition we have ever faced. Our record margin of victory for a competitive away game is 4 goals. Records are made to be broken.

That is bound sure to have put the mockers on it.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:47 am I think there is too much downplaying of Tranmere. They weren't great, but they weren't appalling either. Like many teams in this division, they lack a cutting edge, or a special player to make something different happen.

We are still looking a bit disjointed, but with so many players returning from injury periods, that isn't very surprising.

The return of Matty T was useful because he drags defenders all over the place, leaving big gaps for us to exploit. Clearly not fit yet for more than 15 - 20 minutes though.

Cadden is a quality player at right wing back, CamBran oozes class, Fosu has the pace, Henry has the guile, Mousinho has the experience, Dickie has the height, Gorrin has the fight, Baptiste has the skill, Eastwood has the athleticism, Ruffels has drive, etc, etc. The squad is vastly superior to last season.

Sorry I have to say it. Tomorrow we go to Bolton, who should by all accounts be relatively the worst league opposition we have ever faced. Our record margin of victory for a competitive away game is 4 goals. Records are made to be broken.

League only? Merstham 0-5 Oxford.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

It’s Bolton’s first home game of any significance since their rescue and takeover. 9,000 fans turned up for a tinpot trophy game a couple of weeks ago. The place will be rocking tonight.

On top of that Keith Hill is a decent manager. He will have been stung by saturday’s result and be making damn sure it doesn’t happen again. Bolton’s team may not have played together much but they’re not kids any more. I’ll happily take a scrappy 1-0. In fact I might even take a point!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:52 am It’s Bolton’s first home game of any significance since their rescue and takeover. 9,000 fans turned up for a tinpot trophy game a couple of weeks ago. The place will be rocking tonight.

On top of that Keith Hill is a decent manager. He will have been stung by saturday’s result and be making damn sure it doesn’t happen again. Bolton’s team may not have played together much but they’re not kids any more. I’ll happily take a scrappy 1-0. In fact I might even take a point!
They've also got both main strikers out tonight - breathe easy - 4-0 to us I'm telling you.

Sets himself up for fall...……………………….
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Radley Rambler wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:28 am
OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:47 am I think there is too much downplaying of Tranmere. They weren't great, but they weren't appalling either. Like many teams in this division, they lack a cutting edge, or a special player to make something different happen.

League only? Merstham 0-5 Oxford.
Very true!
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:52 am It’s Bolton’s first home game of any significance since their rescue and takeover. 9,000 fans turned up for a tinpot trophy game a couple of weeks ago. The place will be rocking tonight.

They've hardly played together, and most of them are cast offs who haven't played for a while, or at this level.

It would be disappointing for a well drilled team of decent League One players not to get a decent result.

Bolton 0 - Oxford 6
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Got banana skin written all over it. 1-0 Bolton.

It's what we do.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

It was good to get a win against Tranmere and keep a clean sheet. Too many games going behind and needing to score more than two goals this season or conceding more than two goals.

Good luck for this evening anyone going. I might try the £10 watch-at-home option.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

slappy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:27 pm It was good to get a win against Tranmere and keep a clean sheet. Too many games going behind and needing to score more than two goals this season or conceding more than two goals.

Good luck for this evening anyone going. I might try the £10 watch-at-home option.
This is my only new ground in the League this season, so I’m on the LRT coach.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Enjoy, Otmoor - it's a cracking ground. I went there a few years back when we won 2-0, and it was fabulous afterwards to hear all the Bolton fans bemoaning how far they'd fallen, losing at home to "the likes of bloody Oxford". After years of being humbled by Conference sides, it was nice to feel that we were on an upward trajectory and the boot was on the other foot.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I'm with the banana skin brigade. It's what we do.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Although we've tripped up often enough in the past with this type of fixture, I'm going for a win by two or three goals tonight.