Bolton

Anything yellow and blue
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Bolton

Post by Jimski »

Thought this was a decent piece on it all: http://twohundredpercent.net/900000-hol ... LgdjonQJx4
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Isaac wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:00 am Suspend them would mean they go bust though surely, which means no club and lots of people out of a job - all for "competitive balance". I think it's better to give them every chance to turn it round, which is surely what we'd expect if it was us.
IIRC when it WAS us, what we expected was what we got - pretty much FA from all corners.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Really sad for Bury. The EFL allows someone to take over the club without apparently doing the proper checks, then does nothing to help the situation they helped create. This could be the fate for a lot of clubs in the next few years. And yes, we're definitely on that list.You'd think the EFL would try to look after their own, but they evidently don't give a damn. Just surprised they haven't gone the whole hog and given the league place to some rich bloke in a new town.

Let's hope the Bury fans can come together and create a phoenix club.

Possible quote from the near future: "Daddy, is it true there used to be leagues below the Premier League?"
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Worth reading to see how well the "guardians of the game" are actually doing in their role:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... cial-ruins
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Genuine question: what is the difference in situation between the situations at Bury and Bolton, other than the fact that Bolton have managed to put players (not fit for the purposes of playing in L1, as evidenced by the results and the cancellation of a game at their own request), and why have Bolton been allowed extra time, if Bury weren't? There seems very little difference to me, if any at all.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Back to Bury, I haven't really followed the detail. So property developer Stewart Day sold the club in December 2018 for £1 to Steve Dale. The club was heavily in debt and under a CVA. But nobody would take on paying off the CVA and funding the club.

Also who now owns Gigg Lane?
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

According to Wiki, Bury FC owns the ground. If true, then I expect they'll be forced to sell it.

There's many lessons here, but one of them is to make a fuss about your club plunging further and further into debt. One day, taking on that debt will prove too much for any prospective owner.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

*coughs*
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Well, I suppose the only real surprise there was that we didn't lose ....
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

A ludicrously unbalanced league. Allowing one team to play no games and another to basically turn up and get beaten before being able to strengthen their team. If we lose out on goal difference to a team that was able to beat them by 5+ goals in the first 7 games of the season then it has to be said, the league have f-ked this right up. Equally at the moment I shouldn’t think that’ll be of any concern to us...
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

recordmeister wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:11 am A ludicrously unbalanced league. Allowing one team to play no games and another to basically turn up and get beaten before being able to strengthen their team. If we lose out on goal difference to a team that was able to beat them by 5+ goals in the first 7 games of the season then it has to be said, the league have f-ked this right up. Equally at the moment I shouldn’t think that’ll be of any concern to us...
If that happens I'd say Robinson has f-ked this right up!