Where will we finish 2019/20?

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Where will we finish 2019/20?

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Usual caveats - still a few days (and hopefully signings) to go, lots of variables - but where do people think we'll finish this season?

I'm going to say 19th. The squad has improved in recent days but is weaker and thinner than last season. I still can't see from where the goals will come, and we'll be relying a lot on younger players. Nothing wrong with that, but many of the current crop are either very young and inexperienced (Jones, Lopes) or are coming back from heavy injuries (Baptiste).

Second question: will this season see any tangible progress (land bought / planning application submitted / diggers in ground) on a new stadium? My head says No but my heart says Yes. I can't believe that with the financial muscle and expertise of the current board, we'll go another 12 months without doing anything, but progress seems painfully slow. I'll be an optimist and say Yes.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Where will we finish 2019/20?

Post by Dr Bob »

We shall finish 10th. We shall lack the firepower to finish higher, but our defensive midfielders and centre-backs will improve on goals-against.

We shall hear about tangible progress on a new stadium, but this will only relate to progress in identifying a site within the overall planning process. No soil will be broken.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

15th
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

12th without a relegation battle.

I believe we'll identify a site this coming year and begin the planning process.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Without 2 regular scoring strikers we are mid table mediocrity. I predict a 12th place finish.

Any substantive progress on a new stadium will not be publicised. The Kassam Stadium will be bought from Firoka, but kept separate from club ownership.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I think we’ll finish around 10th but after flirting with rhe playoffs rather than the relegation zone. Get a really good striker in and we could do better than that. No idea about the stadium!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:52 am Without 2 regular scoring strikers we are mid table mediocrity. I predict a 12th place finish.

Any substantive progress on a new stadium will not be publicised. The Kassam Stadium will be bought from Firoka, but kept separate from club ownership.
Interesting prediction OY, why do you think Firoka would sell, wouldn't it make more sense for them to hang onto the stadium in the hope that they can redevelop if for housing in due course?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I'll go with 12th again as well. Seems a common prediction (and it's where we are after one game too!)
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Frankly, I'll be happy if we're still financially afloat at the end of the season. I doubt that anything will have happened to resolve the ground issue. I think there's a significant probability that we'll end up in financial trouble with points deductions.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Radley Rambler wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:45 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:52 am Without 2 regular scoring strikers we are mid table mediocrity. I predict a 12th place finish.

Interesting prediction OY, why do you think Firoka would sell, wouldn't it make more sense for them to hang onto the stadium in the hope that they can redevelop if for housing in due course?
It’s not based on an concrete evidence (excuse the pun).

We must not forget that the terms of the license allow the club to renew once, for another 25 years, on the same terms as the existing license. That would be a major risk to Kassam, holding out for too long. A renewal would mean he never gets to build his houses. That would be my bargaining chip if I were OUFC owner. In 2047, when a renewed lease would end, unless there are very significant advances in medicine, Kassam would be unlikely to be in a position to reap the rewards having been born in 1955.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

My half full glass is telling me 8th.