What a let down

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: What a let down

Post by Hog »

Well I wasn't there last night Jerome so I'll just have to take the word of those that were that a 0-0 away from home at the worst defence (by -13!) with the worst goal difference (by -9) in the division is something to take encouragement from!

I suspect a couple of you are playing Devil's Advocate with your what if's and maybe's but as far as I'm concerned the man is a fool. Ty asks what I expect Gobbo to say? Well with a years experience of him I now expect him to talk shite, win, lose or draw - and he does!

He has to try and make the most of what he has got created. There, corrected for you.

We now have to hope we beat Bradford, Wycombe and Wimbledon at home and one of Walsall, Shrewsbury or Coventry away. Can we do it? Quite possibly. Will we?

And if he keeps us up don't anyone on here dare to laud him as a hero because I shall surely SCREAM! (Feel free to bookmark this for when he get us promoted).

Oh, and as a side issue, is it only me who is Mackie Blind?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

With Mackie you know you are not the only one, Hog!

I’d put Chris Allen in temporary charge now and just go for it hoping that we witness the instant transformation that other team called United have enjoyed.

Draws are unlikely to be good enough now from the games we don’t lose. We have to go for it as WL is better than DD or DL!

I don’t think KR is going anytime soon though and am expecting a cagey match against the Bantams with Mackie upfront slowing the game down and giving away free kicks.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Boogie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 pm with Mackie upfront slowing the game down and giving away free kicks.
... and jumping under the ball, and running from one centre back towards the other and arriving just after they've already passed it, and giving away unnecassary fouls when the ball is live in the opposition box, and straying offside, and leaving a boot in, and trapping off like his manager and ... well, having no end product to speak of whatsoever!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I'm no Robbo fan, but I suspect he's unlikely to go now, and also that it's too late (and almost certainly too much of an upheaval at this stage) to try to get in someone else this season now. So my main hope is that we somehow stay up, and then change manager in the summer.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Jimski wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 am I'm no Robbo fan, but I suspect he's unlikely to go now, and also that it's too late (and almost certainly too much of an upheaval at this stage) to try to get in someone else this season now. So my main hope is that we somehow stay up, and then change manager in the summer.
And I'd like a Ferrari but that isn't happening either :P
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Radley Rambler wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:11 pm
ty cobb wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:35 am I long gave up on our fans ability to assess the skills (or lack of) for a manager when a majority (including on this forum) were quite happy to see the back of Wilder - everything he has done since has shown this to be bonkers. Clotet had us about 3 points from the play offs last season and pretty much everyone wanted him out.

What else do you expect Robinson to say at the moment - come out and say he's hopeless? The players are hopeless? He has to try and make the most of what he has got - we do create a lot of opportunities, we did last night, but in two transfer windows he has failed to recruit a goalscorer. He will say he did - Maynard, but wasn't allowed to sign him, and for this he has my sympathy.

It is all very frustrating, we play the ball on the floor, we have exciting wingers but we just can't score and this may well cost us our place in this division, we should have won last night I thought watching it on I player but we didn't get a goal when we were well on top. Sat is now a must win - if we do this will be a good point as a loss would have got Dale up the table.

He also said at the time 'I reckon I can get 10 minutes out of him' which given the number of crocks we already had on our books nailed that coffin firmly shut.

I have no recollection of him saying this - are you sure he said it. What he did say was the below.

"He’s gone to train with other clubs who are looking at him. "I have my own views on this that I’ll keep internal, but I know he’d score goals." "Tiger’s words on Sunday were ‘we’re going to have to do something with the group we’ve got’."

This is pretty clear to me at least that he wanted Maynard, said he would score goals (what a player if he can do this in 10 minutes!) and with 17 goals and 6 assists in 31 games Robinson was probably right in this case.

Its a bit easier for the lesser United to do well when you have Lukaku and Pogba to bring back into the mix - we don't have a goalscorer, bringing a new manager in will not solve that.

If we down he must go, if we stay up I would give him until Christmas next year, he has brought some good young players to the club, Sykes, Whyte, Graham for example. The positions that have let us down have been full backs and strikers - fix those and we would be well up the table. We have also had a shocking record with injuries this season. Now is not the time for banners calling for his head but one last push from everyone at the club, supporters included to get us over the line. We can beat and lose to anyone in this division - stay positive people - there is enough depression from the car crash that is Brexit (as if it was going to be anything else!).
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

ty cobb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:31 am
Radley Rambler wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:11 pm
ty cobb wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:35 am I long gave up on our fans ability to assess the skills (or lack of) for a manager when a majority (including on this forum) were quite happy to see the back of Wilder - everything he has done since has shown this to be bonkers. Clotet had us about 3 points from the play offs last season and pretty much everyone wanted him out.

What else do you expect Robinson to say at the moment - come out and say he's hopeless? The players are hopeless? He has to try and make the most of what he has got - we do create a lot of opportunities, we did last night, but in two transfer windows he has failed to recruit a goalscorer. He will say he did - Maynard, but wasn't allowed to sign him, and for this he has my sympathy.

It is all very frustrating, we play the ball on the floor, we have exciting wingers but we just can't score and this may well cost us our place in this division, we should have won last night I thought watching it on I player but we didn't get a goal when we were well on top. Sat is now a must win - if we do this will be a good point as a loss would have got Dale up the table.

He also said at the time 'I reckon I can get 10 minutes out of him' which given the number of crocks we already had on our books nailed that coffin firmly shut.

I have no recollection of him saying this - are you sure he said it. What he did say was the below.

"He’s gone to train with other clubs who are looking at him. "I have my own views on this that I’ll keep internal, but I know he’d score goals." "Tiger’s words on Sunday were ‘we’re going to have to do something with the group we’ve got’."

This is pretty clear to me at least that he wanted Maynard, said he would score goals (what a player if he can do this in 10 minutes!) and with 17 goals and 6 assists in 31 games Robinson was probably right in this case.

Its a bit easier for the lesser United to do well when you have Lukaku and Pogba to bring back into the mix - we don't have a goalscorer, bringing a new manager in will not solve that.

If we down he must go, if we stay up I would give him until Christmas next year, he has brought some good young players to the club, Sykes, Whyte, Graham for example. The positions that have let us down have been full backs and strikers - fix those and we would be well up the table. We have also had a shocking record with injuries this season. Now is not the time for banners calling for his head but one last push from everyone at the club, supporters included to get us over the line. We can beat and lose to anyone in this division - stay positive people - there is enough depression from the car crash that is Brexit (as if it was going to be anything else!).
Yes - 100% because I remember discussing with others what a stupid statement that was to make given the circumstances with his other signings and they agreed saying they had thought the same when hearing it.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1688 ... ruled-out/

I think the implication was that, while he was recovering from injury ("he's not fit yet"), Maynard could have contributed 10-15 minutes. Presumably, therefore, he could have offered more as he recovered.

This might clarify the debate a tad about what exactly was said about Maynard, but it would still have been a case of yet another player being signed who was injured.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Radley Rambler wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:51 am
Jimski wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 am I'm no Robbo fan, but I suspect he's unlikely to go now, and also that it's too late (and almost certainly too much of an upheaval at this stage) to try to get in someone else this season now. So my main hope is that we somehow stay up, and then change manager in the summer.
Hopefully it isn't the staying up part that you see as unlikely as getting a ferrari! I'd take just that to be honest. Not sure it matters that much who our manager is given the rudderless feel at the club at the moment anyway...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Jimski wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:50 pm
Radley Rambler wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:51 am
Hopefully it isn't the staying up part that you see as unlikely as getting a ferrari! I'd take just that to be honest. Not sure it matters that much who our manager is given the rudderless feel at the club at the moment anyway...
Correct - the staying up is attainable, the new manager over the summer isn't :evil:
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Dr Bob wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:50 pm https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1688 ... ruled-out/

I think the implication was that, while he was recovering from injury ("he's not fit yet"), Maynard could have contributed 10-15 minutes. Presumably, therefore, he could have offered more as he recovered.

This might clarify the debate a tad about what exactly was said about Maynard, but it would still have been a case of yet another player being signed who was injured.
Indeed just like Ricky Holmes, oh hold on......given Robbo's form in signing players when Maynard was mentioned, I don't blame Tiger for this one.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:26 pm For me, the obvious answer is to play two up front - Sinclair and Graham would be my choice, with Mackie and Jonte Smith on the bench or as backup. Play 4-4-2, with a midfield diamond involving Mousinho in front of the back four, Whyte and Browne on the wings and either Brannagan or Henry in the centre.
Gobbo doesn't agree, arguing that his system is effectively three up front (with the two wingers, Whyte and Browne, working as auxiliary strikers), so moving to a conventional striking partnership would be a retrograde step.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Just listened to yesterday's 5 minute fans forum on Rad Ox. I thought Robinson's comments about the system we play were reasonably coherent. The really interesting snippet was about next season's budget:

Q. Will next season's budget be the same as this year, will it be better or worse?
KR [long pause, nervous laugh] I know what it is, we're having a conversation about it now. It won't be better...

With that, and the fact that the club aren't discussing deals with out of contract players yet, I really wouldn't be so sure that Robinson will be hanging around beyond the summer.

Spot the typical Robbo moment at the end, when he talks about 'referees, corners and apologising for certain things' during a question about pre-season tours!
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 pm Q. Will next season's budget be the same as this year, will it be better or worse?
KR [long pause, nervous laugh] I know what it is, we're having a conversation about it now. It won't be better...
I should bloody well hope not. When you've had a top ten budget (at least) and - to use the common parlance - spaffed it up the wall, why on earth should you be given MORE? If we're playing Div 4 football next season, there'd be no sense in having the budget of a top-half Div 3 budget.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:57 pm
Kernow Yellow wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 pm Q. Will next season's budget be the same as this year, will it be better or worse?
I should bloody well hope not. When you've had a top ten budget (at least) and - to use the common parlance - spaffed it up the wall, why on earth should you be given MORE? If we're playing Div 4 football next season, there'd be no sense in having the budget of a top-half Div 3 budget.
I wonder if this also suggests that Robinson is unlikely to be around to spend it, even if he were not to jump ship? Or is this just wishful thinking...