Post by OtmoorYellow »

On the official site Gobbo is quoted as saying

“Our performances haven’t let the fans down this season .."

Oh really? That's not how I've seen it.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: What a let down

Post by Radley Rambler »

It's either verbal diarrhoea or he's deluded or a bit of both. Or is he trying to say, we may not get many points but we really try hard and play some pretty stuff.

Sadly I just can't see him going even if we get relegated.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Radley Rambler wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:48 amSadly I just can't see him going even if we get relegated.
Frankly, unless we win the next 8 games in a row then he deserves to go at the end of the season. And even then he would have underachieved. I don't think Tiger (or Erik) are here to see us bumble about at the foot of D3 (let alone D4), so I'd be surprised if he's not relieved of his duties come May.

Robinson was lucky to survive beyond 1st January - that's certainly when I ran out of patience. That performance at Plymouth definitely let the fans down. As did those at Barnsley, and at home to Fleetwood and Southend. In fact I've been to 8 league games this season so far, and I've felt very let down in half of them, and pretty nonplussed by another two! The two games against Sunderland are the only decent league performances I've witnessed - indeed we were so good in them that it makes our current predicament all the more frustrating and perplexing.

Tonight is absolutely massive by the way. Lose at Spotland and I think relegation becomes more likely than not. Realistically we need 4 points from this week's games just to keep our heads above the water.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:57 pm
Radley Rambler wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:48 amSadly I just can't see him going even if we get relegated.
Frankly, unless we win the next 8 games in a row then he deserves to go at the end of the season. And even then he would have underachieved. I don't think Tiger (or Erik) are here to see us bumble about at the foot of D3 (let alone D4), so I'd be surprised if he's not relieved of his duties come May.

Robinson was lucky to survive beyond 1st January - that's certainly when I ran out of patience. That performance at Plymouth definitely let the fans down. As did those at Barnsley, and at home to Fleetwood and Southend. In fact I've been to 8 league games this season so far, and I've felt very let down in half of them, and pretty nonplussed by another two! The two games against Sunderland are the only decent league performances I've witnessed - indeed we were so good in them that it makes our current predicament all the more frustrating and perplexing.

Tonight is absolutely massive by the way. Lose at Spotland and I think relegation becomes more likely than not. Realistically we need 4 points from this week's games just to keep our heads above the water.
I agree. What still bothers me is whether such clear, simple logic, currently has any role to play in the OUFC Boardroom.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Post match waffle from Rochdale "We're in the top six for what we should have scored". "Referee blah, blah, blah".

Just piss off now.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

"loads of improvements at the club, you just don't see it on the pitch"

And a load of patronising shite about great fans, we care for YOUR club, we REALLY care, blah, blah, blah.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

I'm not sure why fans get wound up by what a manager says or doesn't say - it seems to me that there hasn't been a manager, save Mapp (except the very start of his time with us) when manager comments haven't wound the fans up. Just ignore it. It's like player interviews - 90% of the time it's like they're reading a script - "yes, I was happy to score, but I was much more pleased with the result",etc. etc.

Of course, what's important is the results, and criticising KR for those is much more understandable. On that, I was at Spotland this evening. I'm not much of a football analyst, but I'd simply argue that it was a battling draw, which was a fair to both team's efforts, with Eastwood, Nelson, and Whyte the best players for Oxford. It was played at some considerable pace at times, in poor conditions for football. Dale had some decent forward players and midfielders, who stretched our back line. We had something similar in our locker too, with Whyte in particular causing all kinds of problems. All in all, two relatively evenly-matched teams who, while seeking to nick a goal by any means necessary, tried to keep a tight back line, and kept up a high tempo pressing throughout the pitch.

Two evenly-match teams, both sitting in the relegation places. I haven't seen many live Oxford games this season, but on the basis of my last two - away at Accrington and Rochdale - we'll be lucky if we scrape the last safe spot. But every time I've written us off, we pull a couple of impressive results out of the bag. Here's hoping.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Well I thought last night showed a lot of positives. Granted, Rochdale looked very poor and very much there for the taking, and we failed to score against them - but it was a full-blooded, committed performance and we were streetwise and positive in our play. Also, to be fair to KR, his team selection and tactics were spot on - the only change I’d have made would have been to have given Sinclair longer to make an impact.

We still badly need goals though. It’s all very well Gobbo talking about how good our recent defensive record is, and how well people are scoring in training - if he’s the managerial genius he claims to be, he needs to be asked why a club with such a big playing budget is still in the relegation zone and why he’s not addressed a lot of the big systematic problems in the team. It can’t all be down to bloody referees.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I long gave up on our fans ability to assess the skills (or lack of) for a manager when a majority (including on this forum) were quite happy to see the back of Wilder - everything he has done since has shown this to be bonkers. Clotet had us about 3 points from the play offs last season and pretty much everyone wanted him out.

What else do you expect Robinson to say at the moment - come out and say he's hopeless? The players are hopeless? He has to try and make the most of what he has got - we do create a lot of opportunities, we did last night, but in two transfer windows he has failed to recruit a goalscorer. He will say he did - Maynard, but wasn't allowed to sign him, and for this he has my sympathy.

It is all very frustrating, we play the ball on the floor, we have exciting wingers but we just can't score and this may well cost us our place in this division, we should have won last night I thought watching it on I player but we didn't get a goal when we were well on top. Sat is now a must win - if we do this will be a good point as a loss would have got Dale up the table.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

There are so many angles you can take, aren't there? if we hadn't had a disastrous start with half the team unfit we'd be OK by now. if the players KR wanted to build the side around - Carruthers, Hall, Smith - had worked out we'd be OK now. We've actually scored a decent amount of goals, just not at the right times! If we'd signed Maynard we might now be OK - though Wes Thomas has scored a dozen for Grimsby in half a season and no one is clamouring for his return.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

ty cobb wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:35 am I long gave up on our fans ability to assess the skills (or lack of) for a manager when a majority (including on this forum) were quite happy to see the back of Wilder - everything he has done since has shown this to be bonkers. Clotet had us about 3 points from the play offs last season and pretty much everyone wanted him out.

What else do you expect Robinson to say at the moment - come out and say he's hopeless? The players are hopeless? He has to try and make the most of what he has got - we do create a lot of opportunities, we did last night, but in two transfer windows he has failed to recruit a goalscorer. He will say he did - Maynard, but wasn't allowed to sign him, and for this he has my sympathy.

It is all very frustrating, we play the ball on the floor, we have exciting wingers but we just can't score and this may well cost us our place in this division, we should have won last night I thought watching it on I player but we didn't get a goal when we were well on top. Sat is now a must win - if we do this will be a good point as a loss would have got Dale up the table.

He also said at the time 'I reckon I can get 10 minutes out of him' which given the number of crocks we already had on our books nailed that coffin firmly shut.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I just don't see what Gobbo adds.

Some seem to be happy to celebrate draws against the worst teams in the division. I'm not. With our playing budget, the very least we should expect is to be beating teams in the lower half of the table, in the majority of games, and picking up results against top half teams. That's the very least, and realistically that is still nowhere near good enough. But have we done that? Have we fuck. We've won only 9 league games all season, which includes just 1 away.

We have only 9 games remaining, of which 1 is away at Luton. We need another 12 points. So we need title winning form, whereas we've got relegation form.

Gobbo has to go.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:53 pm Gobbo has to go.
Indeed, but he clearly isn't going to be fired at this stage. The best we can hope for is that he goes in the summer, although I can't see it happening.

The question, therefore, is that if we can't change our manager or squad, how do we get the points we need to survive? For me, the obvious answer is to play two up front - Sinclair and Graham would be my choice, with Mackie and Jonte Smith on the bench or as backup. Play 4-4-2, with a midfield diamond involving Mousinho in front of the back four, Whyte and Browne on the wings and either Brannagan or Henry in the centre.

Our defensive record is improving, but I'd advocate throwing caution to the wind a bit now and giving ourselves the best possible chance of winning rather than drawing games.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:53 pm I just don't see what Gobbo adds.

Some seem to be happy to celebrate draws against the worst teams in the division. I'm not. With our playing budget, the very least we should expect is to be beating teams in the lower half of the table, in the majority of games, and picking up results against top half teams. That's the very least, and realistically that is still nowhere near good enough. But have we done that? Have we fuck. We've won only 9 league games all season, which includes just 1 away.

We have only 9 games remaining, of which 1 is away at Luton. We need another 12 points. So we need title winning form, whereas we've got relegation form.

Gobbo has to go.
Just to pick up on your terrible maths. 12 points in 9 games is not title winning form (1.33 pts per game) - it would get you about 10th. Luton are top with 79 pts (2.14 pts a game). We currently average 1.08 pts per game, so to stay up - i.e. get 52 points, which might well be an over-estimate of what's required - we need to improve a bit. And actually last 10 matches we've averaged 1.3 pts per game so there's a few reasons not to panic.

For reasons previously stated, cost, distracted chairman etc. I can't see us sacking the manager, although I agree they should have by now, given budget vs achievement.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Perhaps we should be more vocal at the home games. Robinson has had an incredibly easy ride considering his appalling tenure over the last year. But we're told and sometimes almost instructed to 'get behind the manager and the team' or it might affect the players.

If we lose on Saturday, I predict a wide chorus of Robinson Out. Perhaps it needs that and a number of banners saying the same to start to focus Tiger's mind. But according to the club, we'd all be unhelpful if we took that stance.