Bees sting

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Bees sting

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I was determined to enjoy Saturday for what it was - a one-off free hit in a proper cup tie against higher league opposition. And a day out in London at one of my favourite football grounds to boot.

And we did ok, I thought, without ever really threatening to win the game. Defensively we looked much more solid, and there was a good amount of spirit back in the team. Dickie was strangely assured given that he had the ball at his feet a lot, and Hanson seemed more disciplined positionally. Much of Brentford's threat came down our left, particularly in the first half - I'm not sure whether Jordan Graham wasn't providing Ruffels with enough protection, or whether the new winger was being left to deal with too much himself, but the partnership certainly looked untried, as you'd expect. Eastwood had to rescue us with some smart stops to keep us in the game.

Baptiste's introduction seemed to galvanise us in midfield, but it was all too short lived. A massive disappointment both for the player himself and our prospects - he looked so bright earlier in the season. Let's hope the news isn't too bad.

Up front we were pretty toothless. Henry had a decent shot tipped over the bar, but apart from that I don't remember their keeper making many saves. Mackie was again offside too much. A Plymouth fan was telling me last week how quick Mackie used to be, a real livewire. I fear his best days are well behind him now. White and Browne were bright enough but didn't have enough to unlock Brentford's defence. Graham didn't do anything really. Odd to start him given how little first-team football he's played recently. Or indeed ever!

No complaints about the penalty - much more blatant than anything we appealed for. It was fun being on a packed covered terrace again, but a shame we didn't even have a goal to celebrate. Despite the crap view and poor facilities, I'd rather spend the day in and around Griffin Park than most newer grounds. Their fans all seemed a good bunch too.

And now it's back to the serious business of staying in League One. Maybe it's a good thing that our next fixtures look tricky, given that we seem to raise our game for the better sides (Barnsley away notwithstanding). We certainly need to get out of the losing habit...
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re: Bees sting

Post by tomoufc »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:35 pm
And now it's back to the serious business of staying in League One. Maybe it's a good thing that our next fixtures look tricky, given that we seem to raise our game for the better sides (Barnsley away notwithstanding). We certainly need to get out of the losing habit...
No - it's back to the stupid business of valorising the ongoing debacle that is the Checkatrade Trophy. I really hope we crash out tomorrow, and play as few first-teamers as possible.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

tomoufc wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:19 pm
No - it's back to the stupid business of valorising the ongoing debacle that is the Checkatrade Trophy. I really hope we crash out tomorrow, and play as few first-teamers as possible.
Got to disagree with this - the fact that it is the Checkatrade Trophy notwithstanding. We need a win and goals. We are against lower league opposition, following a game where KY informs us that we started to look a bit more solid and motivated. I would not want to see too many changes from Saturday, because this team needs to get back into the winning habit.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

tomoufc wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:19 pm
No - it's back to the stupid business of valorising the ongoing debacle that is the Checkatrade Trophy.
It really isn’t. I would be amazed if anyone to do with the club sees that as the priority for this season.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I concur with pretty much everything KY said (although, I have to say that it is harder to view the game from that lower stand than in the Directors Box, KY... ha ha!).

The key issues remains that we don't have any strength in depth (vital for a relegation fight, which we are now very much in) nor a striker. Another key to winning games.

The formation on Saturday was... interesting. I don't think I've ever seen an Oxford side start with 4 wingers before. If only they were were Beauchamp, Beauchamp, Beauchamp and Beauchamp....
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »