Middle-Aged Spread

Another loss...

Post by recordmeister »

Pretty strong XI we put out...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Another loss...

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

On a superficial level, I don't really care about a loss in the Spot A Scab cup. However, one cannot ignore the following:

- The excuses around injuries no longer wash. Of our 'big' players, only Rob Hall is now still in the physio's room. Some of the others may be working their way back to full fitness, but no manager ever has every player at 100% all the time. KR cannot blame our current form on not having his best players available.

- Being turned over by the Worst Team In The Whole Ruddy Football League after being 1-0 up at home is not the mark of a side who are about to turn around a terrible run.

- Another game has gone by without a recognised striker scoring a goal for Oxford United Football Club. KR again made reference in his post-match interview to not being able to go out and just magic up a striker. We know you can't do that, Numbnuts, but it doesn't explain away the fact that you demonstrably failed to sign one in the summer.

One other thing, unrelated to what the result tells us about our manager or our likely fortunes this season. Last night was apparently Raglan's second only start for us since his permanent signing in June last year. Both of those starts have been in this loathsome competition. I've no idea what has gone on there, but my recollection of his loan spell was of a competent lower-league defender, and by all accounts he was solid last night. Seems like a bit of a waste.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 am On a superficial level, I don't really care about a loss in the Spot A Scab cup
You care enough to keep posting about it every season, though.

Calling those OUFC supporters scabs for attending the game is pretty disgraceful imho.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

After largely dominating the first half, we completely crumbled in the second. That’s all I can be bothered with for a match summary, we all pretty much know what else I would write.

Yes this was only the CheckATrash Trophy, but we did put out a very strong side, and most playing were in the squad as players introduced by Gobbo or accepted by Gobbo as being good enough.
Cobblers are rubbish, make no bones about it, and we just lost to them, a team that had multiple bookings and a man sent off near the end.
Does this make us the worst side in the entire EFL? Possibly, and I wouldn’t put money on us to beat Oxford City at present.

Ignoring the reasons why for a second, we need to face facts.
Fact 1: Our manager and coaching team are not capable of getting more from this squad or they would have done so by now.
Fact 2: Acceptance of fact 1 can only lead to the conclusion that our form will not materially improve if there is no material change.
Fact 3: We cannot bring in any new players until 1 January.
Fact 4: Acceptance of facts 2 and 3 can only lead to the conclusion that without material change, we will be relegated before we can bring in new players.
Fact 5: The only material change available to us is to remove the manager and coaching team.

Ergo, Gobbo Out!