Robinson Out

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Robinson Out

Post by Dr Bob »

Many excellent points (and yes, KE, I think we are largely in agreement). One thought about strikers. On Saturday, KR said they had tried so many things, including two strikers, and they had not worked. First thought - he did not persist as long with that as he has with one up front. Second - this also means that NOTHING he has tried has worked...

The one up front model requires a certain type of point-man, to hold up the ball as others join in. By definition this person cannot, by themselves, score lots of goals. People have asked why Hemmings and Thomas were let go. Are they KRs type of player for this position and this role? Smith does not seem to be. Not seen enough of Mackie to have an opinion.

But this model then also requires others to come up in support, either out wide or through the middle (as Brannagan did on Saturday, having I believe played a one-two with Obika on his way through). This might explain why certain players were let go and why he focused on bringing certain other types of player in over the summer. Not saying he was right to do what he has done - rather, to criticise what he has done because there has been no evidence of it working. We cannot rely on the odd bit of brilliance from Whyte, or Browne to stay fit whilst being kicked from pillar to post, or, or, or.

I have concerns about the timing of KRs departure, but I believe that a better manager would get more out of that group of players. Not previously heard rumours of player dissatisfaction with KR, but if that is the case, then he does not seem to have the character to turn that around.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:38 am It would be bonkers to appoint a new manager during the middle of a takeover, unless both the existing and prospective owners were in agreement. Otherwise you'll just get yet another short term appointment.

If KR is to be sacked, AND if there is a takeover in the offing, we would have to have a caretaker in charge. I'm not worried about that because it is very difficult to imagine anyone having a worse record than KR. Our form can't dip because it is already at rock bottom.

The question that springs to my mind is why would Tiger be selling up so quickly? If he hasn't got the cash, why buy the club in the first place, unless he was just a stalking horse.

Let's face it, we knew our club was in a mess in not taking ownership of the ground, under several successive owners, but now we really are in a dire position. Division 4 looms, we have a manager who couldn't buy a win, numerous players allegedly very unhappy with KR, Cameron Norman being forced to train with the kids, An owner who bought the club just a few months ago and now appears to want out, major disputes with the stadium landlord over significant unpaid bills. You couldn't make this stuff up. It is precisely how not to run a football club.

Whether you believe KR should be sacked or not, he is at least living on a razor's edge. In most cases you would want to give a manager more time, but there always has to be something positive to cling on to, in order to justify giving more time. In this case, I'm struggling to see any positives.

I'm not going to say KR out just yet, but I want a convincing win tomorrow against LooTown Town. Another harrowing home defeat and it surely then must be time.

'The question that springs to my mind is why would Tiger be selling up so quickly? If he hasn't got the cash, why buy the club in the first place, unless he was just a stalking horse.'

Is there any indication that we're in the early days of a Takeover from Mr Milan? I've seen reports that he wishes to invest, but haven't seen any indication that he's looking to buy Tiger out...

Or have I missed something more for forthright?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Myles Francis wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:19 pm
ty cobb wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 am we are in profit from our transfer dealings in the summer.
If only we were. Any profit has been trousered by the previous owner...
Part of the sale price though wasn't it so to be expected. My point (poorly expressed) was that when you take in more money in transfers than you pay out it generally weakens you and it doesn't suggest the club is awash of money - have heard mutterings that the cash isn't really there from elsewhere. Under the previous owner we spent serious money on Nelson, Johnson and Hemmings, the current one despite talking a good game doesn't seem to be backing it up albeit I imagine our wage bill is pretty meaty given the number of loans we have.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:52 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:38 am Cameron Norman being forced to train with the kids
I believe you, but is there a source for this? Disgraceful if so (and if based on performance alone rather than attitude etc). He's been a bit inconsistent, but he was MoTM against Burton and has looked far better at RB than McMahon.
I was wondering about that statement too (and the bit about 'numerous players allegedly very unhappy with KR').

According to Robinson the players love playing for him (at least I think that's what he's trying to say):

“I think if you spoke to any of these players they would tell you they’re coached better than anyone in the league.

“If I walked away tonight and someone walked in tomorrow morning, what more would they do?

“Would they still have 65 per cent possession? No.

“Would they have a dressing room that’s 100 per cent together? No.

“Would they have a team that believes they can go into games and be successful? No.

“So, what do you do?

“You’re in a predicament where everything’s right and you just don’t take your opportunities when they come along.

“All of our players are in a good place, we’re just utterly and totally frustrated.”

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1695 ... orrid-run/
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Lots of ifs, but if the rumour of a take-over is credible, is it possible that KR thinks or suspects that he is on his way whatever?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Old Abingdonian wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 pm Lots of ifs, but if the rumour of a take-over is credible, is it possible that KR thinks or suspects that he is on his way whatever?
You don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

ty cobb wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 am we are in profit from our transfer dealings in the summer.
Myles is correct. Part of the deal to ensure Eales got his money, was that income from transfers goes to Eales first, until he has been paid off.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

ty cobb wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:37 pm
Part of the sale price though wasn't it so to be expected. My point (poorly expressed) was that when you take in more money in transfers than you pay out it generally weakens you and it doesn't suggest the club is awash of money - have heard mutterings that the cash isn't really there from elsewhere. Under the previous owner we spent serious money on Nelson, Johnson and Hemmings, the current one despite talking a good game doesn't seem to be backing it up albeit I imagine our wage bill is pretty meaty given the number of loans we have.
I have similar concerns Ty.

I suspect Tiger isn't as wealthy as was originally made out.

Tiger couldn't use the transfer kitty as an excuse, because he either has to stump up the cash to buy the club, in which case he keeps and can use the transfer kitty on new players, or he forgoes the transfer kitty and pays less for the club, in which case he should have more cash available to buy players. Unless he doesn't have cash.

The best investment Tiger could have made, would have been in a proven striker. That would have created success in the team, built confidence in the fan base, results in far more points and better league position, and a much easier sell to the Far East.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:21 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:38 am Cameron Norman being forced to train with the kids
I believe you, but is there a source for this? Disgraceful if so (and if based on performance alone rather than attitude etc). He's been a bit inconsistent, but he was MoTM against Burton and has looked far better at RB than McMahon.
I was wondering about that statement too (and the bit about 'numerous players allegedly very unhappy with KR').

According to Robinson the players love playing for him (at least I think that's what he's trying to say):

“I think if you spoke to any of these players they would tell you they’re coached better than anyone in the league.

“If I walked away tonight and someone walked in tomorrow morning, what more would they do?

“Would they have a team that believes they can go into games and be successful? No.

“So, what do you do?

“You’re in a predicament where everything’s right and you just don’t take your opportunities when they come along.

“All of our players are in a good place, we’re just utterly and totally frustrated.”

I've also been told Samir Carruthers wants out.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Told by whom? He hasn’t played yet, maybe we’ll want him out!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:21 pm

“So, what do you do?

According to today's Oxford Mail, he's raring to go and ready to 'play through the pain' - not that consistent with your statement.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Werthers Original wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 pm Told by whom? He hasn’t played yet, maybe we’ll want him out!
You know better than to ask for sources.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Radley Rambler wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:35 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:21 pm

“So, what do you do?

According to today's Oxford Mail, he's raring to go and ready to 'play through the pain' - not that consistent with your statement.
Well there's a reliable source!

I wouldn't agree that the statements are necessarily incompatible. He needs game time and match fitness to have a chance of getting back into the Sheffield United squad.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:18 pm I suspect Tiger isn't as wealthy as was originally made out.
I have absolutely no doubt about that. One of the concerns I have at the moment is the announcement of Zaki Nuseibeh coming on board as a director. It was his firm who loaned Reading $25m whilst Tiger and Co were there, and on his RadOx interview, he was very careful not to suggest that he was putting any money in to the club.... Make of that what you will.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Wasn’t there another instalment due to Eales last weekend ?
Anyway. If you sell a club knowing there are transfer fees or parachute payments coming in, then you build that into the price and make sure you get paid for those “guaranteed payments”
If there are players that you could have sold but didn’t , that gets factored in as well.

As for the two new directors. They seem very much to have been involved in property investment or lending in their financial history. As has the gossiped new potential owner.