Wigan warblings

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Wigan warblings

Post by Radley Rambler »

I went last night and really quite enjoyed it. Wigan had the majority of the possession and chances but were by no means dominant. Annoying to concede so late but given that I expected nothing from the evening, I wasn't too disappointed.

Good to see Nelson get 90 minutes, he and Dickie were excellent in the air and already look to be forming an effective partnership. Kane and Rico played well and as a defensive unit we did ok against a team that had scored 81 league goals at the start of play.

Midfield (Buckley-Ricketts apart) were strong if somewhat deep and the 4-5-1 formation really frustrated the Champions Elect.

GVK was pretty hopeless and again showed that apart from pace, he doesn't have much else to offer. Carroll caused more trouble when he played up front.

Special call-out to Mr Kettle who seemed keen to award free kicks to Wigan whereas we (Canice in particular) had to be assaulted to get a decision. The bloke next to me said that Talksport said the Dunkley/Carroll tussle should have resulted in a penalty to us rather than a free kick to them - go figure.

So all in all, an interesting evening but the real work starts on Saturday.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Wigan warblings

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Cheers for the report - it sounded good on the radio, though gutting to lose having so nearly held out for an unlikely point.

It's particularly annoying that two really encouraging games have left us in a worse position relegation-wise. Oldham and Wimbledon are both on decent runs and have relatively easy run-ins (Dons at Wigan aside). Walsall have it a bit harder, but can still pass us with their game in hand. Rochdale have some tricky games before we meet them, and it seems likely that avoiding defeat to Dale will be key to our survival. If we can get a result at Donny before that too then happy days. It's certainly in our own hands at the moment.

I've got my ticket for Ewood Park (at a bargain tenner!) and don't want to be biting my nails all evening up there...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

The big result for us last night wasn't our game - it was the goalless draw between Rochdale and Oldham. I still think two more points will see us safe, and last night's performance against a side who'll be playing in the second tier next year suggests to me that we've got what it takes to pick up those points. Even so, I'll breathe easier if AFC Wimbledon beat Oldham on Saturday and leave them still in the poo.

Credit to KR for shuffling his pack. Nelson's now got a competitive game under his belt, Carroll has had the chance to regain some confidence, and both Wes and Obika have had a breather. Yes, a point would have been nice (and we nearly got one), but it will have been a good gamble to take if we can get something from our trip to Donny.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Radley Rambler wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:35 am I went last night and really quite enjoyed it. Wigan had the majority of the possession and chances but were by no means dominant. Annoying to concede so late but given that I expected nothing from the evening, I wasn't too disappointed.

Good to see Nelson get 90 minutes, he and Dickie were excellent in the air and already look to be forming an effective partnership. Kane and Rico played well and as a defensive unit we did ok against a team that had scored 81 league goals at the start of play.

Midfield (Buckley-Ricketts apart) were strong if somewhat deep and the 4-5-1 formation really frustrated the Champions Elect.

GVK was pretty hopeless and again showed that apart from pace, he doesn't have much else to offer. Carroll caused more trouble when he played up front.

Special call-out to Mr Kettle who seemed keen to award free kicks to Wigan whereas we (Canice in particular) had to be assaulted to get a decision. The bloke next to me said that Talksport said the Dunkley/Carroll tussle should have resulted in a penalty to us rather than a free kick to them - go figure.

So all in all, an interesting evening but the real work starts on Saturday.
Word for word how I saw it.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Interesting that Wigan's principal attacking tactic was a diagonal lump from Dunkley towards their inside left... and much of their frustration was borne of Rob Dickie winning virtually every resultant header (and Nels or Kane clearing up when he didn't).

Last chance for me to see the boys before the end of the season and I came away very impressed with the commitment and work rate (Buckley Pointless excepted), if still somewhat anxious about turning that into the points we need to avoid league 2.

How shallow is the talent pool that enables Trevor Kettle to be a professional referee?
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Shoobedoo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 pm Interesting that Wigan's principal attacking tactic was a diagonal lump from Dunkley towards their inside left... and much of their frustration was borne of Rob Dickie winning virtually every resultant header (and Nels or Kane clearing up when he didn't).

Last chance for me to see the boys before the end of the season and I came away very impressed with the commitment and work rate (Buckley Pointless excepted), if still somewhat anxious about turning that into the points we need to avoid league 2.

How shallow is the talent pool that enables Trevor Kettle to be a professional referee?
Yes Rickety-Buckets has become a bit of a laughing stock.

A bit generous of you to describe Kettle as professional.