Karl Robinson

Anything yellow and blue
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Karl Robinson

Post by Geoff »

I was pleased with the appointment of KR and like what I hear about style of play and the encouragement of young players, but (you knew there had to be a but, didn't you) I don't like what I've been reading in the OM about teaching players to cheat. What happened to playing football?

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... _a_chance/

If he's been misquoted by the OM then I apologise.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Geoff wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:15 pm I was pleased with the appointment of KR and like what I hear about style of play and the encouragement of young players, but (you knew there had to be a but, didn't you) I don't like what I've been reading in the OM about teaching players to cheat. What happened to playing football?

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... _a_chance/

If he's been misquoted by the OM then I apologise.
I'm not sure where I stand on this. Against Peterboro we 'managed the game' in terms of winding the clock down by tapping the ball away etc. very effectively. Is that cheating, well by the letter of the law yes it is as a player should be booked if they kick the ball away. However, I remarked to my friend that it was the first time I'd seen us do 'what other teams do to us all the time' to some effect. It was also very amusing to see Steve Evans of all people blowing a gasket over it. I'd prefer for us to not 'cheat' but if every other team does it and gets away with it then perhaps you have to level the playing field.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

I would rather see referees clamp down on the cheating, whether it's time wasting or diving, rather than adding to the problem by teaching our players to do the same. Surely we don't want to see teams winning games because they were better at conning the referee than the other team rather than better at playing football.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Geoff wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:41 pm I would rather see referees clamp down on the cheating, whether it's time wasting or diving, rather than adding to the problem by teaching our players to do the same. Surely we don't want to see teams winning games because they were better at conning the referee than the other team rather than better at playing football.
So would I but until they do........
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

IFAB have come up with some crackpot ideas over the years, but their suggestion to have two 30-minute halves with the clock stopped every time the ball goes dead has my vote (were I on IFAB). That will not stop all problems, but it would certainly help.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I'd like to see the club clamp down on our smart Alec ball boys who think it's clever to goad opposition players by pretending to offer them the ball and then drop it out of reach just as they're about to take it, or roll it wide or short to waste time. It's bitten us on the backside a couple of times this season (can't remember the games) and is totally UN-professional. Is it just me it winds up?
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Yes it’s meant to be a sport not a chavvy oneupmanship contest. I don’t want to descend to the level of Westley and Evans
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Is football the only sport where a manager can publicly state he will coach players to break the rules and cheat without anyone batting an eyelid?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

It's just not cricket ... oh.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Ancient Colin wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:37 pm It's just not cricket ... oh.
:lol:
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I keep reading that Robinson talks a good game: does that mean people think he talks sense or that he could bullshit for England? After listening to him post natch on Saturday I could just visualise him kissing the badge! What's the point in bigging 'em up just a few days after proclaiming a whole shower of shoite will be cleared out in the summer when it's a lot of the shower who we'll be relying on to keep us up? Very muddled.

At least he seems to have binned that Man City youth and hopefully the other one who's even worse will follow him out. I'll happily drive them both back to Manchester myself! I hope they're saving the money they're being paid at the moment because once their contracts are up I suspect both will be lucky to be at Conference club within two years (they'll maybe have a safety blanket of a year at a L2 club who think ooooh, ex Man City)

And while I'm at it let's go back to the forum on BH Friday. Tiger was asked where he saw OUFC being in a couple of years (I think it was a couple but can't find it on iplayer to check) and he began his answer by proclaiming we'll be playing in Puma kit of better quality at the same price! How did he get away with that?

Signed Mr Angry of Hampshire.

And breath.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Hog wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:33 pm I keep reading that Robinson talks a good game: does that mean people think he talks sense or that he could bullshit for England?
I definitely think Robinson talks sense much of the time. I hope he can also identify, coach and manage players, and motivate them to win football matches, though the jury is still out on those rather more crucial skills. Early days though of course.

As you say, Tiger hasn't talked much sense so far...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Hog wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:33 pm I keep reading that Robinson talks a good game: does that mean people think he talks sense or that he could bullshit for England? After listening to him post natch on Saturday I could just visualise him kissing the badge! What's the point in bigging 'em up just a few days after proclaiming a whole shower of shoite will be cleared out in the summer when it's a lot of the shower who we'll be relying on to keep us up? Very muddled.

At least he seems to have binned that Man City youth and hopefully the other one who's even worse will follow him out. I'll happily drive them both back to Manchester myself! I hope they're saving the money they're being paid at the moment because once their contracts are up I suspect both will be lucky to be at Conference club within two years (they'll maybe have a safety blanket of a year at a L2 club who think ooooh, ex Man City)

And while I'm at it let's go back to the forum on BH Friday. Tiger was asked where he saw OUFC being in a couple of years (I think it was a couple but can't find it on iplayer to check) and he began his answer by proclaiming we'll be playing in Puma kit of better quality at the same price! How did he get away with that?

Signed Mr Angry of Hampshire.

And breath.
I asked him that question Hog albeit it was where did he see us in 5 years time and what structural aspects will be needed to achieve his vision e.g. increased sponsorship/stadium ownership. He paused for some time and then as you indicate didn't actually answer the question apart from saying 5 years is a long time, we'll have a lovely new kit and we should look to get a promotion in the short term.

No sh*t Sherlock. Underwhelming response to say the least.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Radley Rambler wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:44 pm
Geoff wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:41 pm I would rather see referees clamp down on the cheating, whether it's time wasting or diving, rather than adding to the problem by teaching our players to do the same. Surely we don't want to see teams winning games because they were better at conning the referee than the other team rather than better at playing football.
So would I but until they do........
Case in point yesterday.

Whatever you may think of the tactics, Fleetwood were masters of managing the game yesterday after going 1up. Until refs really clamp down on the time wasting and kicking the ball away, then imho if we can't beat them we need to join them or we're at a disadvantage.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

We'd have to score a goal first!