Tiger

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Tiger

Post by recordmeister »

So, we have a new Chairman. Don't quite know what to say other than it will hopefully steady the ship. As with all appointments, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. So, let's see what the Year of the Tiger had to offer us as supporters.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Tiger

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I suspect I’m in a minority of one, but can we nip this “Tiger” nonsense in the bud? His name is Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth. If a middle-aged man dresses like a 1920s dandy and wants people to call him “Tiger”, he’s clearly having some sort of crisis that shouldn’t be indulged.

As for the takeover, I’m seriously sceptical about the motives of someone who has a reputation as an asset-stripper, even when we have no actual assets. He (like Eales) can’t make any money sustainably from OUFC without owning the ground. Ka$$am is not going to sell the ground for someone else to make cash off unless he’s offered silly money (that in all likelihood won’t be recouped). So either way I don’t see this ending well.

Mind you, I was sceptical when Eales and Ashton took over; if I get time later, I’ll dig up the thread and we can all evaluate how accurate or otherwise our predictions were. But I think we should always be sceptical until we have reason not to be. We’ve been burnt too many times before.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Having worked and co-authored with a number of Thai colleagues and students, it's worth noting that almost all have nicknames and use them amongst themselves as their standard form of address - to the extent that friends may actually be unsure of full names. I've got a lot of reservations about this given what happened at Reading, but I guess open minds are appropriate at this stage and if it gets some movement on the stadium (again subject to those Reading concerns) that may be good.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

What can possibly go wrong? He seems to have Oxvox safely tucked in his back pocket!

And re the 'Tiger' nickname, won't someone please think of Nick Harris?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:27 am But I think we should always be sceptical until we have reason not to be. We’ve been burnt too many times before.
Can we be sceptical but not negative about this? In recent years, having witnessed absurd levels of over-optimism amongst some fans at both Oxford City and Notts County, who insisted critics were just jealous of their new-found wealth under new owners, even as the castles built on sand collapsed around them, I think caution is the most sensible approach. But also not being too quick to judge. And not making fun of his dapper and stylish apparel. I shall stop now, before this turns into a Monty Python sketch.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Cautiously optimistic while retaining a healthy dollop of scepticism - doesn't that sum up what being an OUFC fan is all about?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Given that the OUFC statement and Darryl Eales both call the man Tiger, I think you're fighting a losing battle there KE. Completely share your scepticism though - fans should always be sceptical of football club owners' intentions.

There are certainly plenty of questions to be asked and answered. What stake has DE retained? What stake does Tiger now hold? Is it his personal stake, or is he holding it on behalf of other individuals/companies? If so who are they? What is his background and how much money does he have? Where did that money come from? Does he still have any shares in Reading FC (a quick perusal of one of their forums suggests they think he does)? Who will our other board members be? What are his plans for the ground? Etc etc.

OxVox's statement is pretty disappointing. What have they found out about the guy, his background and his intentions? If they're not going to share that with their members now the deal's done then there's not much point them having been involved at all.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I'll make no further comment (for now, at least) on the chap's sartorial appearance and choice of nickname, as it really isn't the central issue here - except to say that being a football chairman is hard work, being a successful chairman is bloody hard work, and presentation / image matter in that regard. We've had exuberant characters as chairmen before, but they've generally not been the most successful ones in retrospect.

Anyway, Dr Bob's point is an excellent one - striking the balance between objective scepticism and negativity. I'll judge Mr Thanakarnjanasuth on his actions; I wish him well and he'll have my support (as will Craig Bellamy). But it won't, and shouldn't, be unquestioning support. None of us yet know what Mr Thanakarnjanasuth's objectives are, or his plan for how he'll achieve them - but my initial reading is that the only way he can make a profit out of OUFC is to invest in the playing squad, win a promotion and then sell us on to someone with deeper pockets. That model worked for our previous owner, despite my and others' reservations at the time of his takeover. But without a stadium deal, it's a high-risk strategy.

Incidentally, it's worth looking back to the two linked threads above. We were sceptical about Eales & Ashton, and whether the gamble they were taking would be with their or the club's money. For the most part, that era can now be looked at as one of stability both on and off the pitch, where they invested in the right things, achieved a promotion (and several cup runs) and ran the club in way that many of us strongly supported. If Darryl Eales has walked away with a profit and the thanks of most fans, he deserves both. But I don't feel remotely bad about questioning his motives at the time, just as I question Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth's now.
Last edited by Kairdiff Exile on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Indeed I have a client who is one of the richest people in the world, and his nickname is an Animal (well, a mythical one actually) and all his staff call him by that name. If it is good enough for business people in Asia, it is good enough for me.

As for his look: I suspect that if we have success under him, we'll see plenty of LionTrust / Oxford Mail bowties being handed out for the East Stand to wear... and it's nice seeing the dickie being owned again, where it once was the domain of the dandy, the bartender or indeed the barber shop quartet. I'd like to wear more bowties, but I end up looking like Christopher Biggins trying to run a cocktail bar.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

recordmeister wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:27 pm I'd like to wear more bowties, but I end up looking like Christopher Biggins trying to run a cocktail bar.
Now there's an image!
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Aww - Just beaten to it by Recordmeister last night.

Need someone to start a Burning Bright thread next.

Yep - lots of questions to ask, but that is the case with most takeovers of the club.

I shall not be wearing a bow tie to matches.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

In honour of our glory days and our chairman, I've put on loads of weight and started smoking cigars. If I die falling off my yacht, I'll go happy... maybe in a bowtie if Tiger gets us back to the Maxwell glory years... (yes, this post is loaded with irony. but i do smoke cigars. and i am over weight)
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Letter to shareholders dated 21st February 2018 from Darryl Eales on behalf of OUFC :

‘I am pleased to write to you today to provide information on a number of changes that are taking place
which I believe will strengthen the future prospects of the club.

After just over three years, I am stepping down from my role as chairman in favour of Sumrith
Thanakarnjanasuth, who I am sure you will all come to know as “Tiger”.

Tiger is a passionate football fan as well as experienced businessman and we have quickly
developed a good relationship over the past couple of months.

Under his stewardship, I believe the club can build on the progress over the past 3 seasons
and move into another exciting chapter in its history.

Tiger is making a significant investment into the club. Significantly, as part of the investment, we will be
strengthening the capital base of the club and reducing the level of shareholder debt that has accrued over many years.
I believe this is something that a large majority of shareholders will welcome.

To make this possible there is a shareholder written resolution, enclosed, for you to approve the issuance
of new ordinary shares in Oxford United Football Club Limited. The resolution will be passed if approved by more than 50%
of the shareholders and will be passed as soon as sufficient responses have been received. If passed, the shares will
be issued to Oxford Investment Holding Pte Limited in return for a fresh investment of funds, a company controlled
by Tiger and to Ensco 1070 Limited, a company I control (in return for capitalisation of certain accrued shareholder debt).

Responses should be sent to the club secretary, Mick Brown at the club address by the date stated in the
notes to the written resolution.

In closing I want to thank you for your support.It has been a privilege to serve as chairman of this great club.
We have made good progress during this time, both on and off the pitch and the foundations of the club
are much stronger. We can look to the future with confidence and optimism.

Thank you, once again, for making me feel so at home as part of the Oxford United family and I look forward
to continuing to help Tiger and the club, albeit in a slightly different role, as the club moves forward.

Yours sincerely,

Darryl Eales

Resolution:

Company number 00470509

Private company limited by shares - written resolution of Oxford United Football Club Limited.

Circulation date 21 February 2018

In accordance with chapter 2 of part 13 Companies Act 2006 (the Act)
the following resolution is proposed as an ordinary resolution of the company.

THAT, the directors of the company be generally and unconditionally authorised for the powers of section 551 of the Act
to exercise all or any of the powers of the company to allot new ordinary shares of £1 each in the company (shares)
up to an aggregate nominal value of £2,411,860 (in addition to the 138,067 existing ordinary shares of £1 each) to
such persons at such times and generally on such terms and conditions as the directors may determine (subject always
to the articles of association of the company), provided that this authority shall, unless previously renewed , varied,
or revoked by the company in general meeting , expire on the day before the fifth anniversary of the date on which
this resolution is passed save that the directors of the company may, before the expiry of such period, make an offer
or agreement which would or might require the directors of the company may allot the shares in pursuance of such offer
or agreement as if the authority conferred by this resolution had not expired.

Please read the notes at the end of this document before signifying your agreement to any of the resolutions.

The person named below, being a person eligible to vote on the above resolutions on the circulation date
Irrevocably agrees to the resolution indicated above.

Signature

Print name

If you wish to vote in favour of the resolution please put an X in the FOR box next to that resolution.
If you wish to vote against a resolution please put an X in the AGAINST box next to that resolution.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

OUFC4eva wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:57 pm Letter to shareholders dated 21st February 2018 from Darryl Eales on behalf of OUFC :

‘I am pleased to write to you today to provide information on a number of changes that are taking place
which I believe will strengthen the future prospects of the club.

After just over three years, I am stepping down from my role as chairman in favour of Sumrith
Thanakarnjanasuth, who I am sure you will all come to know as “Tiger”.

Tiger is a passionate football fan as well as experienced businessman and we have quickly
developed a good relationship over the past couple of months.

Under his stewardship, I believe the club can build on the progress over the past 3 seasons
and move into another exciting chapter in its history.

Tiger is making a significant investment into the club. Significantly, as part of the investment, we will be
strengthening the capital base of the club and reducing the level of shareholder debt that has accrued over many years.
I believe this is something that a large majority of shareholders will welcome.

To make this possible there is a shareholder written resolution, enclosed, for you to approve the issuance
of new ordinary shares in Oxford United Football Club Limited. The resolution will be passed if approved by more than 50%
of the shareholders and will be passed as soon as sufficient responses have been received. If passed, the shares will
be issued to Oxford Investment Holding Pte Limited in return for a fresh investment of funds, a company controlled
by Tiger and to Ensco 1070 Limited, a company I control (in return for capitalisation of certain accrued shareholder debt).

Responses should be sent to the club secretary, Mick Brown at the club address by the date stated in the
notes to the written resolution.

In closing I want to thank you for your support.It has been a privilege to serve as chairman of this great club.
We have made good progress during this time, both on and off the pitch and the foundations of the club
are much stronger. We can look to the future with confidence and optimism.

Thank you, once again, for making me feel so at home as part of the Oxford United family and I look forward
to continuing to help Tiger and the club, albeit in a slightly different role, as the club moves forward.

Yours sincerely,

Darryl Eales

Resolution:

Company number 00470509

Private company limited by shares - written resolution of Oxford United Football Club Limited.

Circulation date 21 February 2018

In accordance with chapter 2 of part 13 Companies Act 2006 (the Act)
the following resolution is proposed as an ordinary resolution of the company.

THAT, the directors of the company be generally and unconditionally authorised for the powers of section 551 of the Act
to exercise all or any of the powers of the company to allot new ordinary shares of £1 each in the company (shares)
up to an aggregate nominal value of £2,411,860 (in addition to the 138,067 existing ordinary shares of £1 each) to
such persons at such times and generally on such terms and conditions as the directors may determine (subject always
to the articles of association of the company), provided that this authority shall, unless previously renewed , varied,
or revoked by the company in general meeting , expire on the day before the fifth anniversary of the date on which
this resolution is passed save that the directors of the company may, before the expiry of such period, make an offer
or agreement which would or might require the directors of the company may allot the shares in pursuance of such offer
or agreement as if the authority conferred by this resolution had not expired.

Please read the notes at the end of this document before signifying your agreement to any of the resolutions.

The person named below, being a person eligible to vote on the above resolutions on the circulation date
Irrevocably agrees to the resolution indicated above.

Signature

Print name

If you wish to vote in favour of the resolution please put an X in the FOR box next to that resolution.
If you wish to vote against a resolution please put an X in the AGAINST box next to that resolution.
The letter is a formality only to comply with regs. Given Eales previous level of shareholding, his approval means the resolution is passed already. And indeed the old board of directors has stepped down and Tiger has been appointed to the board.

I have a couple of worries about this deal. They may be unnecessary worries, but I am naturally a cautious person.

Firstly, I believe Tiger remains a significant shareholder and person of significant control of land around the Madejski Stadium, of which Reading FC is also a shareholder.

Although he has stepped down as a director of Reading, I suspect Tiger remains in reality a person of significant control in Reading FC. Echoes of Thames Valley Royals keep swirling round my head.

Secondly, the statement says that the OUFC shares will be held by Oxford Investment Holding pte Ltd. pte is not a commonly used designation in the UK, it is much more associated with Asian companies, particularly in Singapore. This suggests that the shareholding will be held offshore and will be difficult to trace and keep tabs on. Tiger's only other UK holdings appear to be in respect of the land around the MadStad. Therefore, if he has significant wealth, it will be difficult to determine where that wealth derives from.

On the plus side, whilst under Tiger's control, the MadStad has been retained as an asset of Reading FC, which might suggest he would do similar at OUFC, if he gets his hands on the KasStad, or builds a new stadium.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Lets see what the next hour brings along. A load of hot air, or something interesting. Probably the former....