Bratfud

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Bratfud

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Anyone go last night? Too far for me on a week night, so I'm only going on what I've read, but I'm increasingly concerned by our inability to close out games and keep clean sheets.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Bratfud

Post by Matt D »

yep, for what proved to be a thoroughly entertaining game.

beforehand the discussion was that this would be a proper test of how good we are and whether we might find out if we can come from being behind.

my conclusion was that we're starting to look a very good side, patient, hard-working, with good belief in our style of play and ability to deliver on it. we did indeed have to cope with going a goal down (little blame for the defence there, it was a great hit), got our equaliser, and then kept going to get what looked to be our winner.

but your point about seeing out games, particularly early on where there's less immediate pressure to get points, is what makes the difference between a very good team and one that's going to get promoted. there were some sensible things we could have done to kill the game at 2-1 and which we didn't.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I'm a little concerned with the frequency from which goals seem to be coming from the corner of our Pen box. Was really frustrating at the final whistle but on reflection 4 points out of 6 is a good return and being so close to winning against on the favorites for promotion when we are such a new team should be a positive rather than a negative - we would have lost this game at the same stage last season.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Wow - what a game !

Two top League One teams going toe to toe and United will feel they should have won it
when Rothwell rolled home the late goal to give us a 2-1 lead. However,what then occurred was
a bit of naivety with seconds to go. We were so deep and left space out wide left and allowed
Bradford to put the ball into the box. Romain Vincelot headed in but the U's will be kicking themselves.
Nobody closed the ball down and people were jogging back into position.

So much good, attractive attacking play with simple short passing and movement - it was marvellous to watch at times.
Bradford are well drilled and well organized but for 25 minutes they could not live with us.
We should have scored one or two in the first half with some great openings going begging.

Rob Hall is playing so well and you can see Payne is loving his time here!

This could turn into some season. We actually play with more zip, a higher tempo and
more energy - and for a newly assembled team the portents look good. Clotet impresses me
more and more. We do need to cut out those sloppy moments where we give up possession
a bit too easily at times. Liking what I am watching!

COYY
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

An excellent game of football against a side who will be fighting for automatic promotion I suspect.

We could easily have scored 2 or 3 in the first half, but the further up the ladder we go, the more important clinical finishing becomes.

The end result was fair on the balance of play.

This could have been a Championship game such was the standard from both sides.