Hemmings

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Hemmings

Post by joepoolman »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:39 am
Werthers Original wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am So are we not getting another striker in? If Thomas or Obika are injured it's James Roberts up front?
It would have to be Obika AND Thomas injured, as we only play one up front. Though I guess you need someone to come off the bench.

What if Payne gets injured/suspended? I guess GVK or Hall could fill in there, but that leaves us short of wide options.

It all seems a bit tight to me. Are we looking to use the loan market once the transfer window has shut? Or is Pep basically inviting potential targets to reduce their demands?

Either way it makes a change from MApp's frequent promises of '2 or 3 through the door next week'...
I hope not because they got rid of the loan window for league clubs last season!
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I had forgotten about GVK but he's probably not a 'lone striker' type. Thomas is knackered after an hour so we need a good substitute. I'd be delighted if Roberts came into his own but it looks like we are one short.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

recordmeister wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:05 am Andy Thomson and Derrek Lilly suggest otherwise...
Did we spend any money on either of these? If not I would suggest they don't fall into the category of spending a lot of money of a Scottish striker, from memory I think we got Lilly on a free and sold him for six figures so from a financial standpoint a roaring success!

I am also concerned we are light up top now. GVK has only ever got double figures for a team with a similar ground capacity to Eastbourne Boro. Thomas is injury prone and has only reached double figures twice his career (both ages ago) and Obika has only reached double figures twice with the highest at 12. Hemmings has got 24, 25 and 15 goals in a season.

I think we're still missing a top quality striker for this level (Conner for example) and I would be disappointed if we didn't add to this position as I think we look worse this season than we did last in terms of personal and back up.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

joepoolman wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:10 am I hope not because they got rid of the loan window for league clubs last season!
Ah ok. So does that mean there's no way we can add to the squad between 1st September and 1st Jan? Surely there's some way round it (like a player cancelling their contract at one club then signing as a free agent for another)? Or is that against the rules too?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:23 pm Ah ok. So does that mean there's no way we can add to the squad between 1st September and 1st Jan? Surely there's some way round it (like a player cancelling their contract at one club then signing as a free agent for another)? Or is that against the rules too?
I believe you could only sign someone as a free agent if the previous contract had been cancelled before the close of the window.