Oldham Athletic

Anything yellow and blue
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Oldham Athletic

Post by Geoff »

What a journey! The M5 was shut, the M6 was shut. Thought I'd be clever and come off the M6 early and pick up the A6 via the A523. Guess what - I would still have got there on time if the A523 hadn't been shut also?

Never mind, it was worth the journey to see Jack Payne in an Oxford shirt. Not only did he play well but he also worked hard. He was involved in both goals. Delightful pass to Wes Thomas for the first goal and good through ball to Josh Ruffels for the second. Nobody in an Oxford shirt played badly and, once they've played together more, link up play will probably improve. We tried to get forward quickly and play the ball quickly at every opportunity. Ruffels, Ribeiro and Williamson all played well, as did Nelson apart from getting caught on the edge of his own box trying to be a bit too clever on one occasion. Johnson was quiet for the first hour and only gave the ball away badly once that I can recall. Once Canice Carroll came on at left back Marvin made a much better impression further forward. We thoroughly deserved the three points. Oldham played some neat passing football at times but their finishing was woeful. Against many League One teams we would have conceded one, but for a first game of the season the defence performed well. Great atmosphere in the Oxford end with over 1,000 fans. Only 3,000 home fans for the first game of the season?!

Good first game for Pep. Can't wait for Tuesday.
SWA
Puberty

Re: Oldham Athletic

Post by SWA »

Attendance was 4874 including 1067 Oxford, so closer to 4000 home fans than 3000. Still, thought the attendance might be a bit higher.