The Runners and Riders...

Anything yellow and blue
SWA
Puberty

Re: The Runners and Riders...

Post by SWA »

Frank Lampard and Chris Powell are the latest names to be linked with the job.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I'm loving some of the names listed at 25-1.

Denis Smith, Darren Patterson, Malcolm Shotton, Ray Houghton!

I'm hoping it's someone under the radar - I really don't want a 'name' like Frank Lampard...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

To be frank - Lampard is interesting and it may happen.

Not interested in Chris Powell though - did dismally at Huddersfield
and lacks charisma. Good thing about Lamps is that he's got his
Uncle 'Arry to talk to for advice and guidance.

By the way - it's also a no from me for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:53 am I'm loving some of the names listed at 25-1.

Denis Smith, Darren Patterson, Malcolm Shotton, Ray Houghton!

I'm hoping it's someone under the radar - I really don't want a 'name' like Frank Lampard...
Having a big name never did Sw*ndon any harm when they appointed Osvaldo Ardiles and then Glenn Hoddle.
Deadly
Embryo

Post by Deadly »

Lampard is an interesting one and it could work. He is extremely intelligent (how many players have a grade A GCSE Latin) and has a good football pedigree with his father and uncle both having long-term managerial careers. So he knows exactly what sacrifices and what hard work needs to be done in order to become a successful manager.

He also presumably knows Faz from his time playing for England. He'll certainly have some good contacts - Chelsea, Birmingham City, Manchester City and presumably West Ham as well. The lack of coaching experience may be a concern (does he even have his badges), but with the experience of Faz and Chrissy Allen behind him, it might well work. As said above, appointing Hoddle and Ardiles never did a certain team down the A420 any harm.

It could be a stroke of genius, or it could be a complete disaster - is it worth the risk? I think it could be. With the set-up we currently have, it could work very well. I'd certainly prefer Lampard to some of the other names being mentioned.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Powell and Hasselbaink have both won promotions out of this league as managers. They have also both failed elsewhere (both higher up the pyramid). I don't know enough about the backgrounds of any of the clubs involved to know which most mirrors our current situation.

I certainly hope we are looking to get someone who will continue the philosophy we have established: developing younger players; keeping a tight, disciplined group; playing decent football. We should at least be looking at people who can demonstrate successful coaching experience of all of these aspects - not necessarily as first team manager, but at least in a senior coaching role. Has Lampard even got his badges yet? He seems to have spent the last few years writing childrens books and appearing on telly.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

What reassures me about this process is that, unlike certain previous owners, we have a process...and a pretty robust-looking one. With Faz helping, given his vast experience, whoever we appoint will have had to show a clear commitment to the cause - including bring through young players.

I thought Eales' comment about looking for a hungry young person was very interesting, as it suggested that someone who had not managed before could fit the bill. Coupled with the idea of bringing in someone to work with the existing team (including uncle Faz), then Lampard or someone like him is, at the very least, not out of the running for lack of experience.

One thought about Powell, Hasselbaink and possibly quite a few others - what sort of reputation did Appleton arrive at Oxford with? He stuck around and didn't do too bad a job.

Whatever I have said recently about Eales' failure to get certain other posts filled, on this I trust him.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Dr Bob wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:19 pmWhat reassures me about this process is that, unlike certain previous owners, we have a process...and a pretty robust-looking one.

Well there's a three-man interview panel - Darryl Eales, who should know what's needed at OUFC and how to make a high-level appointment properly; a television presenter with no obvious business experience (who is possibly mates with Lampard); and a bloke who's been openly slagged off on Yellows Forum by a current OxVox committee member. I'm keeping an open mind.

Anyway, Pep Clotet has come in a lot in the betting today, with all other names drifting significantly.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Deadly wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:29 pm Lampard is an interesting one and it could work. He is extremely intelligent (how many players have a grade A GCSE Latin) and has a good football pedigree with his father and uncle both having long-term managerial careers. So he knows exactly what sacrifices and what hard work needs to be done in order to become a successful manager.

He also presumably knows Faz from his time playing for England. He'll certainly have some good contacts - Chelsea, Birmingham City, Manchester City and presumably West Ham as well. The lack of coaching experience may be a concern (does he even have his badges), but with the experience of Faz and Chrissy Allen behind him, it might well work. As said above, appointing Hoddle and Ardiles never did a certain team down the A420 any harm.

It could be a stroke of genius, or it could be a complete disaster - is it worth the risk? I think it could be. With the set-up we currently have, it could work very well. I'd certainly prefer Lampard to some of the other names being mentioned.
So having GCSE Latin now counts as being extremely intelligent does it? Gawd help us all.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

"Deus adiuva nos omnes" surely GY? (if I can trust google translate)

Anyway, I suspect Frank's latin GSCE is a result of him being a public schoolboy, itself unusual in pro football. He comes across as an intelligent enough bloke, however I'm suspicious of very successful ex-players, it's hard work being a lower league manager - he's going to have to be
1) very good
2) very driven
to be successful (I think this is why quite a lot of very successful managers are those who had their career ended early by injury).
I suspect sitting in the sky studio with his mates will become very attractive once the going gets tough.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:34 pm
Dr Bob wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:19 pmWhat reassures me about this process is that, unlike certain previous owners, we have a process...and a pretty robust-looking one.

Well there's a three-man interview panel - Darryl Eales, who should know what's needed at OUFC and how to make a high-level appointment properly; a television presenter with no obvious business experience (who is possibly mates with Lampard); and a bloke who's been openly slagged off on Yellows Forum by a current OxVox committee member. I'm keeping an open mind.

Anyway, Pep Clotet has come in a lot in the betting today, with all other names drifting significantly.
From 16/1 to 4/9 suggests either someone has a lot of money to throw around, or someone has information we do not. I would also add to your dissection of the interview panel (which I have no reason to question) earlier comments which suggest that Faz will be advising them.
Deadly
Embryo

Post by Deadly »

Isaac wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 am "Deus adiuva nos omnes" surely GY? (if I can trust google translate)

Anyway, I suspect Frank's latin GSCE is a result of him being a public schoolboy, itself unusual in pro football. He comes across as an intelligent enough bloke, however I'm suspicious of very successful ex-players, it's hard work being a lower league manager - he's going to have to be
1) very good
2) very driven
to be successful (I think this is why quite a lot of very successful managers are those who had their career ended early by injury).
I suspect sitting in the sky studio with his mates will become very attractive once the going gets tough.
Normally I would agree with that, the difference with Lampard (for me) is that he has seen first hand what it takes to have a successful managerial/coaching career through his father and uncle. Not saying he's my choice, but it would certainly be interesting and certainly far better than some of the names being bandied around.

The fact that he has even talked to a League One club shows that he is willing to drop to a level that people like Giggs perceive to be below them in order to cut their managerial teeth. Which for me suggests he's willing to learn. He'll have great experience behind him in Faz and CA. The modern method really isn't so much a traditional "manager" these days, but that of head coach. He'll have the recruitment team working on identifying players for him. He'll also have the sports science and analysis boys behind him as MApp did in order to give his team the best possible preparation for matches.

The big question is does he have the necessary qualifications?

If it is Pep, his record as number one has hardly set the world alight, but then neither had MApp and all the same mentioned above equally applies in terms of the team behind him. You never know, he might even bring a couple of decent Leeds players with him...

JFH did well at Burton, driving them to double promotion into the Championship - but how much of that was down to his predecessor? His tenure at QPR was less successful, but then the managerial merry-go-round at Loftus Road always meant that he would not be given time to implement his ideas if he got off to a rocky start (5 managers in just over 2 seasons). He has a very defensive style of play which may count against him - during his spell at Burton, there were a lot of 1-0 wins and only twice did they score 3 goals (against teams doomed to relegation - Tranmere and the Colchester). Sounds very familiar to a previous manager we had - whose negative style caused much division and frustration - do we want to go down that way again). His recruitment at both QPR and Burton could be classed as suspect at best. He managed to largely succeed on the back of Rowett's success at Burton. Of the players he then signed at the Pirelli Stadium, only one is still at the club and starting regularly under Nigel Clough. As for his signings at QPR, they were mostly expensive foreign imports who failed to adapt to the hustle and bustle of Championship football - a point he heatedly made after his departure from QPR.

There is probably a name that hasn't been mentioned at all who will end up taking the job and will surprise us all. Either way, let's hope the situation is resolved soon because we need someone who can start bringing in much-needed additions to the squad and with the players coming back to training, the sooner the new guy is in place to implement his ideas and methods the better.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

{if you say so Ty!}

We need to get away from this idea that because one person did well or badly at something, that means another person in a similar situation will replicate.

It's much more complicated than that.

I am very suspicious of ex-high level players trying to become managers when having zero previous experience. Being managed at a successful level is nowhere near the same as managing at a successful level. Management, is the title implies, is about being able to handle people who are from a wide variety of personality traits, some positive and some negative, some thinking they are better than they are and some lacking confidence that betrays their ability, some with demanding agents, being an intermediary between coaches, players, fans and a board of directors, budgets, tactics, selection, hiring and firing (which believe me is an incredibly difficult process in itself), coaching players of varying abilities and combining all those factors to determine the strongest XI each week, and then face the critics when it doesn't go so well. Being honest enough to really analyse yourself and others, being prepared to question your own decision making and if necessary accept your failings. Someone who has previously been exceptionally good at kicking a football, has no automatic right to be good at the managerial aspects.

There is no substitute for experience.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

As someone with a GCSE in Latin, I can vouch for the fact that it is no indicator at all of intellect or ability. Indeed, I'm a bit alarmed that members of this board adopt the "bow and scrape" mentality that because someone went to a private school and knows a bit of Latin, they must somehow be inherently worthy of respect.

Anyway, [/chip on shoulder], my preference would still be for someone proven and experienced in the lower leagues who can work on a budget. JFH, Tisdale, Chris Powell or Archibald all fit the bill. As others have said, the key thing is that its a rigorous and proper process (and that if it is, we then get behind whoever the panel deem to be the best candidate to emerge from it). I get that it takes time, but we will miss the boat on signings if we don't appoint relatively soon. We've demonstrably already lost out of a few players.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Shortlist of six. Three been interviewed already, three to go. I'd expect an appointment by early next week.