League Cup Draw

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

League Cup Draw

Post by Kernow Yellow »

The first round draw is at 1pm today. It is taking place in Bangkok, 'the home of the competition's title sponsor, Carabao Energy Drink'. I guess it's no sillier than Rumbelows.

Anyway, we are seeded in the Southern section, and so could play any of the following teams:
19. AFC Wimbledon; 20. Barnet; 21. Cambridge United; 22. Cheltenham Town; 23. Colchester United; 24. Crawley Town; 25. Exeter City; 26. Forest Green Rovers; 27. Gillingham; 28. Luton Town; 29. Newport County; 30. Northampton Town; 31. Plymouth Argyle; 32. Portsmouth; 33. Stevenage; 34. Slumdon Town; 35. Wycombe Wanderers; 36. Yeovil Town.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: League Cup Draw

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

The Football League's attempts to spoil cup competitions for lower-league sides continues apace.

In the last two years we've had decent first-round ties against Birmingham City and West Brom. This year, because of this nonsense with seedings, regionalisation and keeping the Premiershi* sides out until at least the second round, all the options are frankly pretty rubbish.

Seriously, Shaun Harvey, just resign and stop ruining our sport.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Isn't it just that we finished high enough to now be one of the 'top' sides in the first round? (Or has something else changed, of which I'm not aware?)
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

There was seeding last year, but not regionalisation. My point was a more general criticism at the gradual buggering about with competitions by the Football League over time. Regionalising the early rounds of this and the Trophy mean that we could quite easily end up playing - say - Wimbledon twice in the league and in the Trophy and in the League Cup.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:44 am There was seeding last year, but not regionalisation. My point was a more general criticism at the gradual buggering about with competitions by the Football League over time. Regionalising the early rounds of this and the Trophy mean that we could quite easily end up playing - say - Wimbledon twice in the league and in the Trophy and in the League Cup.
Well yes but I'd be more likely to go to the game if we're drawn away within 80 miles and the fact that these are mid-week means less return travel is a bonus. I'm ok with it.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

And actually, hasn't it been regionalised for several years now, last three years, Bristol City, Brentford and Birmingham away or was that coincidence?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Cheltenham at home - that'll do nicely.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Radley Rambler wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:11 pm Cheltenham at home - that'll do nicely.
I was hoping for Yeovil, Exeter or Plymouth away personally!

We've had the seedings debate before. Personally I don't mind it, as it's given us some cracking first round fixtures in recent years. Better for cup games to throw up fixtures you're less likely to get in the league. Now we've risen a bit the boot's on the other foot, but we've avoided anyone in our division again.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:44 am There was seeding last year, but not regionalisation.
According to the wiki page you linked to:
"The draw for this round was split on a geographical basis into 'northern' and 'southern' sections. Teams were drawn against a team from the same section."

Pretty sure the first round has been regionalised, and seeded, for a while now. Fair enough if you don't like it, but I don't think you can blame Shaun Harvey.

Indeed look at the first round draw from our year of glory and tell me that's not regionalised.
Last edited by Kernow Yellow on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Fair enough. Slagging off Shaun Harvey is definitely fun though; you really must give it a go if you've never tried it. :lol: