New signings

Anything yellow and blue
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

New signings

Post by Boogie »

Raglan has signed which is a good start.

The team improved with him at the back with Nelson.

With Martin back from injury will we sign another CB?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: New signings

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Good news this.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Whilst I like Raglan I do hope he's not a replacement for Dunks and we're aiming to get someone better in. There was a very good reason why Dunks was first choice last season and Raglan only started once it was clear Dunks wasn't going to sign a new contract.

On the face of it we have brought in a centre back who was unwanted from the team who finished rock bottom of the league and lost a key defender to a promotion rival. I would get rid of Martin and have Raglan as cover (and very good cover at that) but I don't think this is an upgrade so be interesting to see who else we're going to bring in.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

My impression of Raglan was that once he was given a run in the team, got back into the groove after a while not playing and started to get an understanding with Nelson, he looked really good. How he could be left out of the Chesterfield team was a mystery to me (and, I think, quite a few others) - and that was long before we went there and won 0-4. Unless the earlier rumours about teams being interested in Nelson turn out to be true, I would be surprised if we spent scarce resources on another CB (Long can, after all, play there as well).
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

Don't ever want to see Martin play for us again. His performance at Fleetwood last year must rank as one of the worst I have ever seen from a Yellow.
Bring back the black away shirt!
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I wonder what's the story with him? Drink, or something?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Liam Lindsay anyone?

Surely we must be selling someone in order to splash out £350K on a centre back?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Boogie wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:04 pm Liam Lindsay anyone?

Surely we must be selling someone in order to splash out £350K on a centre back?
Possibly - but another article I read says the initial fee would be more like £250k and we have already got an undisclosed 6-figure sum for Sercombe.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Lindsay has turned us down according to Twitter.

I think that maybe tells us MApp is on his way to Leicester.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Amidst all the turmoil and speculation, we've signed Fiacre Kelleher from Celtic. Hasn't ever played for them, but had 25 games on loan at Peterhead last year and is seen as a good young prospect who's played at youth international level.

And, if you're wondering, the first name is pronounced something like "fee-uhk-rah" from what I can work out.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Fiacre - a small four-wheeled carriage for public hire

'Des fiacres plus jolis
Que de violoncelles
Vous attendent au port
Pour vous mettre a l'hotel.'
- Jean Cocteau

Anyway, so we were looking to sign a centre-back who made last year's SPL team of the year, and have instead signed one from an SPL club but with zero first-team appearances. Not a criticism of the guy, just an observation.

I guess we can forget about Maguire and McAleny now that Appleton's gone. Will be interesting to see who we look to replace them with...
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Conor McAleny joins two-bit cloggers Fleetwood Town. I feel upset on our behalf but also sorry for him - surely he would have had offers from decent teams? It's hard not to see this as a mistake, to join a club with no fans who will be back in the Conference within a few years.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Werthers Original wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:49 pm Conor McAleny joins two-bit cloggers Fleetwood Town. I feel upset on our behalf but also sorry for him - surely he would have had offers from decent teams? It's hard not to see this as a mistake, to join a club with no fans who will be back in the Conference within a few years.
More fall out from the loss of MApp.

I suspect we will not see Maguire in an Oxford shirt again either.

Any replacements had better be very good, or it could turn into a dismal season.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Werthers Original wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:49 pm Conor McAleny joins two-bit cloggers Fleetwood Town. I feel upset on our behalf but also sorry for him - surely he would have had offers from decent teams? It's hard not to see this as a mistake, to join a club with no fans who will be back in the Conference within a few years.
A club with a wealthy backer, who has helped create a team pushing for promotion - and it is close to home for him. MApps departure may not have helped, but there are other possible factors that might be at work here.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

When the much fancied manager leaves they will be relegated (yes, I know he's signed a new contract). I guess McAleny would find a new club but this was an important move for him