Football League Trophy

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Football League Trophy

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Isaac wrote:Without wanting to go back over the arguments, I'm interested in those who went this year - would you go again next year if the final was Oxford v Swansea B team?
No way! And I suspect Ty is in a very small minority of saying yes. I'm sure none of my group (25 last year, 19 this year) would go to a B-Team final. I went to this because it was a proper match between two proper teams, and it certainly felt like it at Wembley. A good day out for sure, but a really, really bad Oxford performance. Such a disappointment after the club seemed to be prioritising winning this over a big push at the play-offs. Last year I really didn't care whether we won or not - league promotion was everything, and Wembley was a nice distraction. This year I really wanted us to win, because not to have done so against Coventry would have meant badly underperforming. And so it came to pass...
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I reckon we'd still take at least 25,000 against a B team so def not in the small minority. For the families that go it's a great day out, and for the many pissheads who are too drunk to watch the game it's not going to put them off.

The chance to hopefully watch Oxford win some silverware at Wembley is too big a draw for most of our supporters (including me) regardless of the opposition. If anything MK Dons provides a stronger case to boycott yet we took our highest away attendance of the season there.

Couple of really interesting articles in the Guardian this week - the Swansea one especially, given they took the competition seriously and gives an insight into how the check a trade trophy is helping these clubs - extract below

The theory is laudable; whether in practice it encourages clubs to be more patient remains to be seen. One of the accompanying benefits – to Category One clubs, anyway – is the chance to face lower-division sides in the Checkatrade Trophy and Swansea say their own run to the quarter-finals (they were the only under-23 side to progress that far) led to far greater interest in loan moves for their players than normal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... e-outcasts

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... mance-plan
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

ty cobb wrote:I reckon we'd still take at least 25,000 against a B team so def not in the small minority.
You're having a laugh. Not a chance.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

"If anything MK Dons provides a stronger case to boycott yet we took our highest away attendance of the season there."

Well, I for one won't go near the place.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... ure_today/

Darryl Eales confirms he will urge the EFL to scrap the trial version of the Trophy citing divisions between fans over B Teams and the number of games played.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

The existing format involving B Teams from the Premiershi* / Championshi* has been retained, with the support of two-thirds of Football League clubs. Oxford United, of course, were not one of them (thank heavens).

The #BTeamBoycott must remain until the Football League and its members realise that allowing these sides to compete on a level playing field is to the long-term detriment of lower league clubs. If only they put as much effort into addressing negligent ownership at clubs like Orient, Blackburn, Coventry, Charlton et al as they have into stuffing the mouths of member clubs with gold so they'd accede to allowing this competition to be further undermined.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

GodalmingYellow wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:18 am Money talks. Not good:

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/2016 ... 14046.aspx
Sad - very sad that 66% of the clubs see c.£60k as sufficient reason to suck up to the PL. Hey ho, I didn't go to any of these games last year including the 'big one' and will continue in that vein. Hopefully others will now feel there is more of a reason to follow suit.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Shame on all the club officials for voting for this just to put a few extra quid in the coffers. Shame on the EFL for even allowing this to be an option.

The price of football's soul? An extra £20,000 participation fee.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I wonder if clubs can opt out?

If we are not required to take part, I think OUFC should not enter..
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

GodalmingYellow wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:09 pm I wonder if clubs can opt out?

If we are not required to take part, I think OUFC should not enter..
I think we all know the answer to that one.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

The PL response to the recent comments from the Accrington chairman shows the contempt they have for the rest of football.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39857490

Trouble is, when they see so many sit up and beg with they throw a few scraps around, it just feeds into their arrogance.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Disappointing but not surprising.

I wasn't aware we got £650,000 from Premier League payments and if we were in the Championship we'd get over £4 million.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Surprise surprise... why bother boycotting the final? We'd basically won the argument already.... oh.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Jimski wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:03 am Surprise surprise... why bother boycotting the final? We'd basically won the argument already.... oh.
Two clubs played in the final, but 66% voted to retain the current format. Not sure the link between Oxford fans attending the final and the vast majority of other clubs' voting patterns tells us very much.