Appleton IN

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Appleton IN

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I'm getting a bit worried.

First Chris Maguire says: 'If the Gaffer's here [next season] then there's a great chance [of Maguire staying]'.

Then John Lundstram says he would 'not be surprised at all' if there is interest in Appleton from elsewhere.

Are they just stating the obvious? Is the Mail just filling the close season with empty quotes? Or do they know something we don't?!
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Appleton IN

Post by Myles Francis »

I think the key quote(s) missing from there are Appleton's comments about wanting to see commitment for next season in the form of a budget which will allow the club to progress.

The fact that we are now seeing the senior players expressing their disquiet would suggest that commitment hasn't been forthcoming. If Appleton does leave in the very near future, I suspect it'd be more down to the lack of backing here than from a carrot being dangled elsewhere.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Myles Francis wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 11:57 amIf Appleton does leave in the very near future, I suspect it'd be more down to the lack of backing here than from a carrot being dangled elsewhere.
True, although presumably there would have to be a vacancy/interested party elsewhere - he wouldn't just walk out with nothing lined up. Anywhere spring to mind?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

There's a vacancy down the road ... but no money!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Daily Mirror reporting as of 8pm this evening that Appleton set to be appointed No.2 at Leicester!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... l-10630552
Last edited by Hog on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Hog wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:35 pm Daily Mirror reporting as of 8pm this evening that Appleton set to be appointed No.2 at Leicester!
The article is written as if it is already a done-deal. On the other hand, it says there is uncertainty over the ownership of the club, which is out of date...Here's hoping that is not merely clutching at straws.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Even if the info is out of date, and even if nothing comes of this, it's a bit of a worry that talk of ownership uncertainty unsettling Appleton has made it to a national newspaper journalist.

It's an odd thing to simply make up...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:25 am Even if the info is out of date, and even if nothing comes of this, it's a bit of a worry that talk of ownership uncertainty unsettling Appleton has made it to a national newspaper journalist.

It's an odd thing to simply make up...
A friend who is a Foxes ST holder has just emailed me to say "The Mirror is the usual mouthpiece for the foxes – there seems to be a contact somewhere". Suggests there might be something to this.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Apparently MAPP is saying his goodbyes to staff and players as we type. A sad day :cry:
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

SWA wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:51 pm Apparently MAPP is saying his goodbyes to staff and players as we type. A sad day :cry:
A sad day indeed. Very odd that Appleton has spent years telling our players that they should relish the opportunity to prove themselves at Oxford rather than being bit-part players higher up the pyramid, only to do just that. Clearly he's been incredible for us and leaves with all our good wishes - but I think he'll look back one day and realise that he needed one more season here to truly finish the job.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:57 pm Clearly he's been incredible for us and leaves with all our good wishes - but I think he'll look back one day and realise that he needed one more season here to truly finish the job.
Maybe everything isn't so rosy in the garden here - I honestly can't understand Appleton leaving for an assistant manager's job unless he feels he's not being backed. Or there's been a falling-out even?

And where do we go from here? Let's face it, we got very, very lucky with Appleton. He wasn't the result of a proper recruitment process, more a mate of Ashton's brought in as part of the takeover deal. Have we got what it takes to get the next appointment right?

I'm still hoping it's not true. But the lack of denials from all parties isn't looking promising...
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

And so Liam Lindsay isn't comoing due to the uncertainty over Appleton.

BBC still reporting it as rumours, but if a £250,000 new signing can't be reassured then I doubt anyone else can either.

I wonder if Appleton was somehow mixed up in the Sartori bid? Otherwise it really doesn't make sense as a move...except if he expects Craig Shakespeare to get fired after six weeks and he can make a name for himself during a caretaker stint?
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

It had gone rather quiet, but The Telegraph is now reporting that the two clubs are talking and the deal is likely to be confirmed by 2pm on Tuesday:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... er-second/
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

BBC Oxford reporting that MApp has told the players that he's off https://twitter.com/bbcoxfordsport/stat ... 6147662848
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Are we all assuming that Derek Fazackerley will be made interim manager, as is reported? This all feels a lot like the summer when Lenagan sold to Ashton / Eales and Appleton was made manager on the eve of the season, inheriting a couple of Waddock signings and a bemused squad amidst lots of uncertainty as a result of the takeover. Even with what we ultimately saw to be Appleton's managerial ability, that was a slog of a season.

Avoiding relegation this season has to be the first priority, as there's the potential here for things to go really tits-up.