Football League Trophy

Anything yellow and blue
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Football League Trophy

Post by Jimski »

"Hate to break it to you guys but boycotting the match did naff all"

This fact was surely down to those who did not boycott rather than those who did! (i.e. if the attendance had been ludicrously low, then I'd argue that it wouldn't have achieved "naff all".)
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

recordmeister wrote:More importantly, if the argument for including B teams was to enable better development of some of the English players who aren't getting regular first team football at their parent clubs, let's look at the value of playing Lego after his return from the u21s. Was that good for his development? I'd say not.
Not sure what you mean. Ryan Ledson was signed permanently by United for around £50k
last August from Everton and is good enough to play for England U.20's.
We substituted him at Wembley as we did not need two defensive central
midfielders at 0-2 down. He was no worse than anyone else - in fact he produced
2 or 3 great passes.

Am I reading your post wrongly?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Jimski wrote:"Hate to break it to you guys but boycotting the match did naff all"

This fact was surely down to those who did not boycott rather than those who did! (i.e. if the attendance had been ludicrously low, then I'd argue that it wouldn't have achieved "naff all".)
But it was a Wembley final against a team who were always going to bring 40,000. Not coming along was pissing in the wind. Like saying well we've got the Tories in power but I voted for my local independent candidate (who got 78 other votes) so I've done my bit. My view is that if you feel strongly enough to protest against something (and you must do to miss your team play in front of the second highest attendance in their history) than an ineffective protest is somewhat pointless - much better to find a way to make a difference. For example encouraging OxVox to set up a petition with other clubs to force a parliamentary response on the issue. Or putting pressure on the sponsor of the cup (e.g. by calling for people to use one of their rivals) - no-one likes bad publicity especially when you're paying a considerable sum for it. Or get involved https://www.againstleague3.co.uk/contribute/ - this bloke seems to be doing this by himself, why not help out?

We all want the same thing which is no B teams, so we need to come up with an effective way of uniting to make a difference. I'm surprised OxVox haven't looked to coordinate action with other supporters trusts about this.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

ty cobb wrote:We all want the same thing which is no B teams
Well I'm delighted to see you say that, Ty, as one could be forgiven for thinking you were in favour of them given your recent posts on this thread.

I'm sorry that some of our efforts aren't up to scratch for you. As you've already pointed out, many of us have boycotted the games (and in some cases sent money to the club in lieu of tickets so they don't lose out); some of us have written to the Football League and to Oxford United to put the case; some of us may have funded the @AgaintLeague3 campaign's work (I haven't yet, although I've tried to support their efforts in other ways); some of us have been in touch with OxVox about co-ordinating OUFC fan's efforts against the competition (which, self-evidently, went better in the early rounds than the latter ones, but that's not OxVox's fault per se). I'm sure other plenty of other efforts have been made by the various contributors on here.

However, as this clearly isn't enough in your eyes, and you also oppose B Teams, what have you done to try and persuade those in power to vote against the continuation of Harvey's failed experiment? I'm all ears.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

"Not coming along was pissing in the wind."

Yes, but again that was hardly down to those that *did* boycott, but rather down to those who didn't (whether they be Oxford or Coventry).
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

If by some people you mean yourself it's good to hear you've been so proactive, I think I was saying that doing stuff like this was far more effective than boycotting the final, although I rather fear both will have the same impact ultimately, so I certainly haven't taken the view that your actions haven't been up to scratch.

I think I set out a lengthy post some pages back under the conditions which I would be ok with Premier League teams taking part, but as I don't think these are going to happen I agree with no B teams - what have I said that makes you feel otherwise, the fact I attended the final?

I probably haven't been as active as you, but then I clearly don't feel as passionately about it as I wasn't willing to miss my team at Wembley. However, I didn't and wouldn't attend the games against B teams and I wrote to both the club and football league to express my feelings on the subject.

I think we have changed the clubs mind on this so I would argue the action taken by our supporters have been a success. To change anything further is likely to require coordinated and things like this are just the reason why we have OxVox and aside from a statement earlier in the season their energies seem to have been directed elsewhere of late.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Anyway, who saw the game tonight? Didn't see us losing that for a minute until their second goal. Hard not to think that if we'd signed a forward with some presence we'd be in the playoffs now
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I thought we were awful tonight. Fleetwood almost equally so, with a crazy number of fouls. I felt at half-time that whoever got a second goal would win it, and so it proved. But dire stuff. If sides like that can get into the playoffs...

I have a feeling that we're not gonna get many points from here on in. We look spent.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I thought we played a lot of good stuff actually, but no cutting edge. Fleetwood were horrible but are obviously experts at snuffing teams out. They'll soon fall down the pyramid again I hope
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I dunno, so many long/high balls, especially towards the not-at-all-tall McEleny.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

It was 90 minutes of nothingness from the U's.

Where are the fans - thought the boycott was just for Wembley?
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I though MApp was spot-on after the game - it summarised our season. It was most like the Southend game - we played all the good football, but lacked the killer ball, and even then (Maguire in the first half) missed the target when a clear-cut chances created. If Maguire had put that away for 2 - 1, we would have won. Add to that some comedy defending (Maguire's for their second goal, Johnson's for their third), and you have why we're not in the play-offs.

Where I would be more critical of MApp would be in team selection. No Ledson, starting Carroll (who did fine after conceding what MApp described as a naïve penalty) did not reflect a 'six cup finals' approach in the least - it was investigating and building for next season. It says to me that neither Edwards or Ribeiro will be here next season for a start. Nor, I suspect, Skarz.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

OUFC4eva wrote:Where are the fans - thought the boycott was just for Wembley?
well I was back for one...

agree with jimski, I rather fear we're done for the season now. a season to be proud of, but work to do if we're going to continue progressing. I'm confident appleton can do this, but think we'll need a number of changes in personnel, and not just because we need a bigger squad.

speaking of the future, thoughts on carroll? first time I'd seen him play. a steep learning curve for him as he was targeted all game and gave away the penalty, but thought he recovered well from that. good height too.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Old Abingdonian wrote:I though MApp was spot-on after the game - it summarised our season. It was most like the Southend game - we played all the good football, but lacked the killer ball, and even then (Maguire in the first half) missed the target when a clear-cut chances created. If Maguire had put that away for 2 - 1, we would have won. Add to that some comedy defending (Maguire's for their second goal, Johnson's for their third), and you have why we're not in the play-offs.

Where I would be more critical of MApp would be in team selection. No Ledson, starting Carroll (who did fine after conceding what MApp described as a naïve penalty) did not reflect a 'six cup finals' approach in the least - it was investigating and building for next season. It says to me that neither Edwards or Ribeiro will be here next season for a start. Nor, I suspect, Skarz.
Ribeiro and Skarz both have another year on their contract I believe and so they may well be here whether we like it or not.

We cannot deal with physical teams that bully us - Northampton, Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers, Fleetwood - 8 games played against them this season - 1 point, yes 1.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I suspect from other examples that if an experienced player is 'not in our plans', then MApp will ship them out, even if that means paying a financial penalty - cf MacDonald, Taylor, although I know these were only for half a season. I wonder if this is part of what MApp refers to as a 'tight squad' - no senior player with very little chance of playing. I note also contracts for Ruffels and Long - they may be under a different kind of understanding (and cheaper).

It is, of course, possible that Ribeiro is not fully fit, and may never, sadly, regain full fitness. It is otherwise very pointed to give Carroll a game and not Ribeiro.