Posh v U's

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Posh v U's

Post by OUFC4eva »

Just back from a strange old affair at London Road or should I say the Abax Stadium?

A sluggish start for the U's until Edwards headed past McGee unopposed
at a flag kick ,then dominant with the ball creating chances galore but
squandering them and always looking vulnerable defensively.
United were indebted to custodian Simon Eastwood yet again
who pulled three or four top class saves.

One in particular was out of the top draw in the second half.

McAleny's second half sidefooted finish should have meant a comfortable finale
but it was any thing but as Posh - down to ten after Lopes' dismissal - threw
caution to the wind and netted a bizarre 90+1 consolation when Mackail-Smith's
angled centre found the bottom corner. United (Oxford) had plenty of opportunities
to put the game to bed but rarely do things the easy way!

Good atmosphere , great away support in an old school 1950's stand
and an enjoyable game. My gut feeling is that Appy won't be happy with
that despite the three points - we need to be far more ruthless.
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Posh v U's

Post by YF Dan »

Funny old game.

At times we were an absolute joy to watch.

Movement, pace, control, flair.

Not sure I've ever seen an Oxford team ever with so many players who can control the ball. The front 6 were outstanding.

Yet, Posh hit post and bar (at once), and Eastwood made 3 or 4 amazing saves. We definitely had our share of luck.

A new ground for me. Hilarious stand - straight from the 1950s, wooden seats and all, but made for a great atmosphere.

Great win, the promotion dream is still on.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OUFC4eva wrote:Just back from a strange old affair at London Road or should I say the Abax Stadium?
No, no you should not. :lol:
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spor ... -1-7862348

Appleton 'irks' opposite number Grant McCann.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OUFC4eva wrote:http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spor ... -1-7862348

Appleton 'irks' opposite number Grant McCann.
It's funny reading the comments below that article - Posh are not far off the play-offs in a league that is clearly at (or even above) their natural level, and the manager's been there less than a season but most of them seem to want him out. I'm so pleased that we as a fanbase have learnt our lessons and have more patience.

PS Some nice shots of a couple of this board's contributors celebrating with their young'uns (first goal and final whistle) on the Yellow Player highlights :lol:
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

For a variety of reasons, I haven't seen us much this season: I thought there were lengthy patches yesterday where we were playing the best football I've seen an Oxford side play in ... well, I can't really remember when - even with Maguire and Hall not being really on top of their games. It was frustrating that we weren't really putting them away, technically we were so much better than them, but always seemed vulnerable to quick counter-attacks. It felt a bit like watching a not terribly good premiership side playing a keen but limited lower league side. Was a useful reminder to me of how much more fun it is going away than going to the Kass ... not least as that logistically is effectively a home game for me, a third of the total journey time compared to the Oxford trip. Can we play them every week (this season)?

Paul's "fan's view" might be interesting, watching him walk to the ground from Charters ...
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Cracking away day, ground walking distance from the station, excellent pub on a boat with tons of ales and a great game with good views down the side of the pitch with a noisy away following - still not sure why we didn't take more.

I thought we were on the whole excellent, we looked a class above at times, their player got sent off after Marv and Mags spent the previous 5 minutes making him chase shadows. That said Eastwood had a very good game with some amazing saves so I completly understand Appletons frustration about not killing them off despite the amount of space and possible chances we had at times.

Hemmings had his best game for some while, held the ball up, ran the lines and was unlucky not to get on the end of a couple of chances. Our midfield 4 are the best we've had since the mid eighties, ok Joey and Magilton could easily slot in this team, but as a 4 I can't think of a better combination - Ledson and Lunny are easily better than Smith and Gray for example.

Edwards is becoming undroppable and he keeps popping up in the box.

We need to get Dunks signed up again - he is very important for this team and I am a little concerned that he is able to talk to other clubs and can leave for free in a couple of months.