Whisper it...

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: Whisper it...

Post by Radley Rambler »

After today's result, i've allowed myself to get mildly excited and start looking at train times to Pboro.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

This has all the makings of a repeat of 96.

We are flying. Totally flying. Goals from everywhere. A strong squad. A defence that's keeping clean sheets. And belief.

Is automatic beyond us? I can't see either Fleetwood or Scunny maintaining a promotion push and going up. In which case, Bolton are the team to catch. 9 points ahead. Plus they've got to come to our place.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

McAleny was something else today. If he continues at anywhere near his current form, it really is game on. This small squad is beginning to look rather special and well worth enjoying while it lasts.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Chesterfield's numbers 11 and 28 looked threatening going forward, but number 11 had nobody to match his skill and pace, while their 28 looked good going forward, but when he got forward he usually skewed or skied his final ball. Even so, throughout the 90-odd minutes everybody put in a great defensive shift, from the front, to keep the clean sheet. I was just so impressed about the commitment, work ethic and professionalism of everyone today. Even at 4-0 up, there was full effort defensively and pace and commitment going forward.

There was a fluidity about the play that was a joy to behold. Thinking about their keeper-s really good save from an Edwards header, their keeper getting the ball away as Maguire tried to go around him, Sercombe blasting across goal from that delightful Maguire cross, and us somehow not getting a penalty in the first half, from two tackles that looked like fouls, it could have been even more. But let us not get greedy - total professionalism.

And as Neil says, this squad looks really rather good. That we could rest three players who have been regular starters and still produce a coherent display like that speaks volumes about the players and the coaching. Playing two games a week, every week, until into April, we are going to have to relay on everyone in the squad to come in and perform like that. Not every team will be quite like Chesterfield (how could they let Raglan go out on loan with a defensive performance like that?) but it certainly bodes well for a play-off push. I guess upcoming games against the likes of Sheffield United and Fleetwood will be the best markers...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

U's gaining real momentum in the league and March looks to be a really exciting month.

I would like to think that we can almost sell out versus Bristol Rovers next Saturday.
Everyone wants to watch attractive attacking football don't they?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Dr Bob wrote:Chesterfield's numbers 11 and 28 looked threatening going forward, but number 11 had nobody to match his skill and pace, while their 28 looked good going forward, but when he got forward he usually skewed or skied his final ball. Even so, throughout the 90-odd minutes everybody put in a great defensive shift, from the front, to keep the clean sheet. I was just so impressed about the commitment, work ethic and professionalism of everyone today. Even at 4-0 up, there was full effort defensively and pace and commitment going forward.

There was a fluidity about the play that was a joy to behold. Thinking about their keeper-s really good save from an Edwards header, their keeper getting the ball away as Maguire tried to go around him, Sercombe blasting across goal from that delightful Maguire cross, and us somehow not getting a penalty in the first half, from two tackles that looked like fouls, it could have been even more. But let us not get greedy - total professionalism.

And as Neil says, this squad looks really rather good. That we could rest three players who have been regular starters and still produce a coherent display like that speaks volumes about the players and the coaching. Playing two games a week, every week, until into April, we are going to have to relay on everyone in the squad to come in and perform like that. Not every team will be quite like Chesterfield (how could they let Raglan go out on loan with a defensive performance like that?) but it certainly bodes well for a play-off push. I guess upcoming games against the likes of Sheffield United and Fleetwood will be the best markers...
I wasn't there Jerome but when we were 4-0 up, the RadOx commentary made a point of stating that the front men 'sprinted back to the penalty area to help defend a corner' - good work and reminiscent of the work ethic that Raging Fever forwards showed in days gone by. We are now only 8/1 for promotion with most bookies which given our current league position and the unrealistic chance of an automatic place (50/1 with bet365 Dan if you're tempted) speaks volumes about momentum.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Anyone know when the L1 play-off semi-final dates are likely to be? Genuine question...
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Radley Rambler wrote:
Dr Bob wrote:Chesterfield's numbers 11 and 28 looked threatening going forward, but number 11 had nobody to match his skill and pace, while their 28 looked good going forward, but when he got forward he usually skewed or skied his final ball. Even so, throughout the 90-odd minutes everybody put in a great defensive shift, from the front, to keep the clean sheet. I was just so impressed about the commitment, work ethic and professionalism of everyone today. Even at 4-0 up, there was full effort defensively and pace and commitment going forward.

I wasn't there Jerome but when we were 4-0 up, the RadOx commentary made a point of stating that the front men 'sprinted back to the penalty area to help defend a corner' - good work and reminiscent of the work ethic that Raging Fever forwards showed in days gone by. We are now only 8/1 for promotion with most bookies which given our current league position and the unrealistic chance of an automatic place (50/1 with bet365 Dan if you're tempted) speaks volumes about momentum.
The only time I remember you going back for a corner was when we were short of a goalie and you took the gloves.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

ty cobb wrote:
Radley Rambler wrote:

The only time I remember you going back for a corner was when we were short of a goalie and you took the gloves.
Reaction sought and secured - i think the Yoof call it a 'whoosh'.

Anyway, i came back for a corner once against Kidderminster, scored an own goal and so learnt from my mistakes and didn't try again
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I think you need to stop trying to get down with the kids as you clearly don't understand a whoosh. Raging fever forwards often got back to defend corners, whoever was playing alongside you would look accross the line, see you striding towards the centre circle and thought to themselves "well guess I'll be dropping back for this one then".
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

ty cobb wrote:I think you need to stop trying to get down with the kids as you clearly don't understand a whoosh. Raging fever forwards often got back to defend corners, whoever was playing alongside you would look accross the line, see you striding towards the centre circle and thought to themselves "well guess I'll be dropping back for this one then".
Yes - fair enough but then you have to be leading the line to bang in a hat-trick each game.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

To return to the topic: arghhhhhhh stop it, all of you, we're doomed, doomed I tell you. MApp will get manager of the month soon and we all know what happens next ...
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

We don't want to do too well, someone will poach him! He's done a great job to win two away games with some very odd lineups
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Well tonight's results were pretty good. Bradford and Bolton being held at home. Scunny losing at home. Only Millwall won but at the expense of the team one place above us.

Scummers won but so did nearly everyone else around them.

Nice to see Leyton Orient on the brink as well.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Radley Rambler wrote: Nice to see Leyton Orient on the brink as well.
I am not normally given to schadenfreude, but given their attitude when they came to Grenoble Road last year, I shall make an exception with them. Schadenfreude on schadenfreude is OK, I think.