Vancouver Whitecaps

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Vancouver Whitecaps

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

So we're apparently playing an MLS side in a not-behind-closed-doors-friendly at lunchtime a week on Monday. Bit weird. Anyone going? Only down the road from me, so might see if I can get the afternoon off!
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Vancouver Whitecaps

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Not sure we learnt much from a 0-4 defeat except that a team of (mostly) kids will get hammered by a team of (mostly) senior pros. In fairness, when the game was scheduled we didn't know we'd be playing on the Tuesday night so I guess we were forced to play a second string. A nice facility though, and a good run-out against decent (Championship-level?) opposition for the likes of Ashby, Ribero and Martinez. Of the kids, Welsh-Hayes was the proverbial curate's egg but put in a shift, Roberts had a few fleeting moments, Jordan Graham started brightly and then disappeared for long periods and Canice Carroll looked a bit lightweight. No obvious stars of the future in there from what I saw.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

I wouldn't count James Roberts as "one of the kids" anymore. He's 21 in June!
Did Toni play? How did he get on?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

SWA wrote:I wouldn't count James Roberts as "one of the kids" anymore. He's 21 in June!
Did Toni play? How did he get on?
Fair point re: Roberts. He's no longer a promising youngster; he's just not starting games. "Theo Walcott syndrome", I believe it's called.

Toni played the final 30, but didn't see a great deal of the ball. His movement was good and he was desperate to get involved, but I don't think there's a great deal more to add.