Return of the Macc

Anything yellow and blue
Mr T
Brat

Re: Return of the Macc

Post by Mr T »

One of the worst Oxford performances that I've been to in over 30 years! Found myself clapping the home team on more than occasion; they looked very good. Skarz was being given the runaround from the off, but everyone underperformed, even Eastwood who went for one cross and missed. The dive by Macdonald to earn the free kick at the end was embarrassing; one wonders if Maguire deliberately missed to spare our blushes?
The best things about the night: only £12. A terrace. Great pies. A hilarious display from their mascot, none of which appeared to make it onto the BBC! And we didn't lose, so we're in the hat on Monday. And my lad and I got a close up on the telly!
Bring back the black away shirt!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Watching on tele, I was staggered by how hopeless we were in midfield. Against Coventry, Ledson playing an anchor role allowed Lunny to get forward. On Friday, there was no anchor at all, nor midfielders getting forward. At first I was not sure why Chey kept stepping forwards and getting caught out of position, especially in the first half, but I guess it was because he had no cover in front of him (to be honest, as soon as the BBC showed Macc playing a 4-5-1 formation I was concerned about losing the midfield).

Likewise, at first I could not work out why Ruffles was put into midfield and Johnson put to left back with Skarz's departure. But then the penny dropped about Skarz and likely Ruffles not being able to keep pace with their wide players, who tore us apart all game. And why was it that most of our players forgot how to tackle? Most of the time, they went in sideways, trying to block the ball with the outside of one foot rather than actually trying to WIN the ball, making it embarrassingly easy for the Macc player in possession to skip around them. I was just relieved Macc threw away so many great opportunities to win the game.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

On the basis that the sign of a good team is the results they get when they play badly, then we must be one of the best in the country!

Out of interest, I don't think any of the current first XI played in the Conference days, did they? Maybe a case of underestimating them and no preparing enough.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Still no confirmed date for the replay. Bit late to be sorting out TV games isn't it? Last night's match wasn't drawn so they've had the potential fixtures lined up for 48 hours now.

Glamour tie at Rotherham to play for now. Not the best draw, but it would be a new ground for me on what should be a non-working weekend. And it's winnable. So I'm definitely hoping we get through.

PS the forum's gone a bit quiet hasn't it? Is everyone hibernating?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

No dramas last night although I confess
to have felt uneasy when I heard the team news.

Oxford the dominant team before Macc lost Hancox
after two yellows in the first half.

The U's cut through the visitors time after time
but profligate finishing was again on show
but it was good entertainment nonetheless.
Marvin's pace at fullback is electrifying and
Hall in front of him is very fleet of foot.

The only downer was a serious injury to Aaron Martin
to a potential ruptured Achilles after only 2 minutes.

On to Rotherham's New York stadium on third round day -
would it be a shock were we to win?