Lines in the Sand

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Lines in the Sand

Post by Dr Bob »

What an extraordinary afternoon that was. First things first - how rare is it to have two players stretchered off and taken to hospital? Here's hoping they are both OK - especially Skarz. Head injury plus long treatment time equals lots of concern.

In the first 40 minutes or so, a combination of Coventry's utter ineptitude and our ability (finally) to make the most of our chances, with some really outstanding play, meant we were unlucky only to get three (how did their keeper get across to block Hemmings' shot near the end of the half? The flick from Maguire and cross from Macca deserved a goal) Reading the reports online, I do not think Hemmings got enough credit for his work to create the second goal. Excellent trap and turn.

Those last few minutes of the half, however, were utterly mad and probably what we needed, to make sure we did not come out too complacent after half time. All of a sudden, the Coventry players remembered how to play and we went into total panic mode.

I felt (cliche alert) that if we could survive the first 10 minutes without conceding, we would be OK. The second half was more even, but even so we still looked threatening going forward. Great goal from Macca - and I have no idea how Chey did not score at the back post. Mind you, that was just the best of several chances he had. Still, with forwards scoring, we can let him off this time...

And then, after two two injuries, the atmosphere just went very flat and quiet, with everybody seeming to want to get the game over and done with. Not convinced the foul on their player was a penalty, but the situation of the match makes me wonder why Chey went in as he did. I guess it is instinct.

Everybody played well, but hats off to Robbie Hall for a fantastic hour, before his legs gave out. Great to see him back in a yellow shirt. I thought that with Ledson playing deep, Lunny was finally able to play the sort of role he did last year. He not only got forward more, but when he did so linked up play really well. Also, being able to get forward more, he played fewer hail marys. The four across the back all played really well. Possibly the best I have seen Edwards play. And regardless of what people think of the £200k figure, Nelson had a really good game as well.

A very happy drive back home, tinged with frustration on Thomas's behalf, and concern for Skarz. Here's hoping the seas does not come back in to wash away that line in the sand on Tuesday.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Lines in the Sand

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I think I posted after the Sw*ndon game that if we played like that every week we'd have a good season. Well we put in a similar performance yesterday and enjoyed another comfortable win. I'm not quite sure why we can't play with that intensity every week - maybe the management think that pressing the opposition high up the park only works against certain teams. But surely moving the ball forwards with pace and precision is a good tactic against anyone.

Indeed the first 15 mins of the second half, when we stopped doing those things, was the only part of the game that we looked in any danger. Macca's goal, which finally took any doubt out of the result, came rather against the run of play at the time. But the first 45 minutes saw us play some really excellent football and was a real joy to watch. The reverse-flick-back-heel one-two between (I think) Maguire and Macdonald near the bye line which lead to Hemmings' saved efffort was worth the admission alone.

Coventry played their part in a hugely entertaining game, and looked dangerous every time they attacked. Their defence, however, was a completely different story, and I lost count of the number of times they lost possession by overplaying in their own half. But much of that was forced by our own great play - defending from the front.

The injuries ruined the rhythm of the game, and rather dampened the atmosphere. I still don't understand why so many people left when the fourth official put his board up though - eleven minutes is a lot of a match to want to miss!

Anyway, a much-needed, morale-boosting victory. Let's have a few more!
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Hurrah for 4 4 2, a sensible formation that the players understood. I'd always have Macdonald in the team, he's such a tenacious little bugger, but you can tell that MA is always itching to drop him
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I'd planned to take my eldest to his first home game - but changed my mind when it was designated a Military Day as I find all that stuff a trifle discomfiting. Shame to miss the on-field action though, which sounded (and looked, from the highlights) very one-sided and encouraging.

Hemmings seems to be finding some good form at last. I wouldn't be surprised if Appleton's epiphany at Bisham Abbey was partly about how to make best use of what should be our key asset. On the flip side though, I'd love to know the players whose cards have been marked and are possibly at the Last Chance Saloon now.

Work commitments will stop me seeing us for the next month or so (apart from on telly v Macc). Hopefully we'll still be scoring this freely in the New Year!
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I wasn't at the match yesterday, Jerome, and we've had plenty of false dawns this season already, but evidence at last that things might be starting to click. Having a smaller squad from injuries may even help a little in getting us a more settled squad.

Hemmings scoring regularly is a big thing. That settles the issue up front and we can stop the game of musical chairs for the centre forward spot.

Maguire has to play 'number 10'. He's the most dangerous player we have and playing him out on the left is a waste. He controls the ball and the game when he's firing in a way that no-one else can.

Thomas will be out for a while now, which is a shame for him. I can't see Ryan Taylor being part of the starting line up again.

Heard good things about Hall yesterday. Him and an improving Johnson seems like a wealth of riches.

I've always liked McDonald. He just has real bite which we lack otherwise.

I love Liam Sercombe, and always will after last season, but I think he's struggled this season. Out of totally understandable loyalty, Mapp has stuck with him. But he's found it a difficult step-up and has now been moved all over the park to accommodate him. And I think that has affected the team.

Now, he's injured, and I truly wish him a rapid recovery, it maybe that Ledson playing the sitting role will free up Lundstam to be the player he was last season. Riches again is having Rothwell and even Crowley in reserve.

Found Appleton's comments on Crowley after the match interesting. I read into it that he'd been a bit of a premier league diva?

I think Nelson and Dunkley will blossom into an incredible defensive partnership.

I don't think our fullbacks are our strongest positions, but they're solid. Any news on Ribero?

And our keeper is great. I remain very optimistic.But hope that Appleton gives this team a chance to properly gel.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Agree with all of this! It sounds terrible, but it did strike me that having fewer midfield options could help us. Our Scouse engine room did well and Lundstram was more like his old self.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I'd planned to take my eldest to his first home game - but changed my mind when it was designated a Military Day as I find all that stuff a trifle discomfiting. Shame to miss the on-field action though, which sounded (and looked, from the highlights) very one-sided and encouraging.

Hemmings seems to be finding some good form at last. I wouldn't be surprised if Appleton's epiphany at Bisham Abbey was partly about how to make best use of what should be our key asset. On the flip side though, I'd love to know the players whose cards have been marked and are possibly at the Last Chance Saloon now.

Work commitments will stop me seeing us for the next month or so (apart from on telly v Macc). Hopefully we'll still be scoring this freely in the New Year!
Well Crowley for one! I've never heard Mapp (or any other manager come to that) be so open about being unhappy with a player's attitude. Don't think we'll be seeing much more of him.

I was also dreading Military Day, and all the pomp before kick-off (singing the National Anthem etc) was a bit silly. The dog at half-time was hilarious though - he was supposed to be finding a 'bomb' but ended up chasing footballs around the pitch, disrupting the half-time warm-ups, and then pissed on an advertising hoarding!
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

And Crowley 's been sent packing!
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Good , lets bin off Tyler now and get some proper players in
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

SmileyMan wrote:And Crowley 's been sent packing!
Has he though? Rumours on the Other Place that he's still training with Us, and I've not seen anything confirmed by either club. Maybe Arsenal told us we'd have to pay for the whole season regardless!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
SmileyMan wrote:And Crowley 's been sent packing!
Has he though? Rumours on the Other Place that he's still training with Us, and I've not seen anything confirmed by either club. Maybe Arsenal told us we'd have to pay for the whole season regardless!
His Wiki page seems to suggest he's been sent packing.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

I wouldn't take anything you read on Wikipedia as gospel :lol:
captainox
Toddler

Post by captainox »

Crowley is training with us according to MApp on his yellow player interview.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

captainox wrote:Crowley is training with us according to MApp on his yellow player interview.
And now off to join Go Ahead Eagles (what a great name for a football club that is!), thus bringing to an end his time with us.

After our win-that-wasn't-a-win in the cup-competition-that-isn't-a-proper-cup-competition and the disappointment of Macclesfield, I think Saturday's game is now "one of those" which could be quite important for the season as a whole. A good result and performance on home soil is absolutely required. I'm sure Appleton is already looking to bolster the squad during the window (a striker and a creative midfielder would be my priorities), but it's much easier to improve a performing team than a mediocre one.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

captainox wrote:Crowley is training with us according to MApp on his yellow player interview.
http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/2016 ... 57803.aspx

Done, dusted, beer open, feet up, telly on.