I didn't go

Anything yellow and blue
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

I didn't go

Post by Werthers Original »

... but what was behind our lineup? Why do we have a different team every week? I thought Crowley was meant to be the answer, with no forwards? Or Taylor on the wing? It's not preseason Appleton, give us a team, maybe a couple of terriers plus a passer in the middle, fast winger, some combination of big and nippy up front? We aren't trying to outwit Barca at footballing chess, we're just trying to get a point or three at muddy lower league grounds every week.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: I didn't go

Post by ty cobb »

Unlike last year Apps has too many options. Rather than work with what we've got he's brought too many players in so the team are unable to get any consistency.

I know we lost two very good players that we didn't want to, but we have spent more money then the other teams who came up with us. It is somewhat frustrating to see how much better they are doing than us. We seem to have repeated our mistake of breaking up a promotion winning team, and the spirit they had, too quickly.

We look vulnerable at the back and it is hard to see where the goals are going to come from - not a good combination.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

I did go and we were poor. We could have been 3-0 down at the break to a side that was bottom and hadn't won in the league at home since September 3rd.

Once again we started slowly and were on the back foot from the off. In terms of performances:

Eastwood - shocker for the goal but made some excellent saves after that.
Raglan - Looked dodgy at right back and no ability to get himself forward so no attacking threat. When is Riberio fit?
Nelson - ok
Dunkley - Impressive in the air again and did ok
Skarz - ok
Ledson - Lots of linking it up but no real penetrative passing
Rothwell - See Ledson
Sercombe - looked lost on the right wing and did much better when he came into centre mid - he is not a winger despite his pace
Johnson - Looking better each game and starting to be a threat
McGuire - Quiet and not as effective as in previous matches
Hemmings - Did ok and their keeper made a fantastic save from his header

As individuals, they played ok but as a team it was totally disjointed. Passes went astray, lots of tippy-tappy around the box but no real end product. Hemmings header and McGuire free kick aside, I don't recall their keeper making another save of note, Eastwood however, made at least 4 worldlies.

Worrying times and the next two home games are becoming critical.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

ty cobb wrote:Unlike last year Apps has too many options. Rather than work with what we've got he's brought too many players in so the team are unable to get any consistency.

I know we lost two very good players that we didn't want to, but we have spent more money then the other teams who came up with us. It is somewhat frustrating to see how much better they are doing than us. We seem to have repeated our mistake of breaking up a promotion winning team, and the spirit they had, too quickly.

We look vulnerable at the back and it is hard to see where the goals are going to come from - not a good combination.
Could not agree more.

Worrying times ahead.