One in a row?

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

One in a row?

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Much as we'd like to pretend that last night's fixture wasn't real or valid, I think we'd struggle to win that argument. Especially as two of our 'six in a row' came in the JPT!

However, I've just checked the football league's own website and it seems that last night's match was indeed a draw (with a bonus point awarded for a separate penalty shootout). So although the winning run is at an end, the 'unbeaten this millennium' record is still very much alive whichever way you look at it.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: One in a row?

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Disagree. Even if we'd won last night's non-event, I wouldn't have claimed it was "seven in a row". The competition has been devalued to the extent that no sane person could argue that it "counts". That's in contrast to previous years where even for a minor cup competition the A420 derby still attracted big crowds. Over 9,000 watched Us beat Them in October 2015; fewer than 2,500 went last night. Even Sw*ndon fans responded to their club's ludicrously bombastic post-match tweet with derision.

Just like Their fingers, it's still six in a row.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

The response to that tweet was great. Fair makes you warm to their fans...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I was one of the 533 "lunatics" that went and thought
we played really well!

Hadn't been to the skip since December 1997 " the Wilsterman 1-4 fiasco"
and still not seen us win there in 10 attempts. I was also there in Oct.1991
when Aylott spanked a penalty over the Stratton Bank in a ZDS
Shoot out defeat.

Reckon we can win at the CG in February 2017.

Agree about that stfc tweet - how embarrassing was that?
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

I am sure that in order to get the Premier League teams to enter the Football League had to agree that this was downgraded from a first team fixture. Appearences, goals and cards don't count towards first team totals. Therefore the game shouldn't either. 6 in a row...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

A sensible bit of perspective, perhaps:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/spor ... ___hollow/
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but can someone please answer this question.

If everyone agrees it wasn't a first team fixture, why were we forced to play five our first team players?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Geoff wrote:If everyone agrees it wasn't a first team fixture, why were we forced to play five our first team players?
If anyone thinks it WAS a first team fixture, why could we have picked six reserves in the starting XI? :D
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Geoff wrote:If everyone agrees it wasn't a first team fixture, why were we forced to play five our first team players?
If anyone thinks it WAS a first team fixture, why could we have picked six reserves in the starting XI? :D
Surely we could do that whenever we like? That Sw*ndon Advertiser article is a good one. But they still seem to think they won, which they didn't.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

Geoff wrote:Sorry if I'm being stupid, but can someone please answer this question.

If everyone agrees it wasn't a first team fixture, why were we forced to play five our first team players?

I think that sums up the absolute nonsense of this tournament. The Football League allow the Prem teams to downgrade the fixtures yet still insist the Football League teams play a set minimum of 'first teamers' - It's just a joke