stadium:mk

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

stadium:mk

Post by OUFC4eva »

In what will be the first competitive meeting between the two clubs, Utd will be taking
a following of 3,500-4,000 supporters to MK this Saturday.

This is reckoned to be the U's largest league away following since 1984 when
more than 3,000 travelled to St Andrews, Birmingham.

Stadium match day parking has now sold out.
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Stadium MK

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Can't help but feel disappointed in my fellow U's fans for this. At the risk of going over old ground, it's a non-game against a non-club, who have no right to exist. I'll be watching some local non-league on Saturday instead.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OUFC4eva wrote:This is reckoned to be the U's largest league away following since 1984 when
more than 3,000 travelled to St Andrews, Birmingham.
We used to take more than that to Sw*ndon didn't we? When they gave us the Stratton Bank as a terrace and seats in the side stand? I'm sure I remember Us having at least 3,500 there around 1989-90ish. After that they gave us the corner terrace so the numbers were probably less.

Also, how many did we have at Birmingham in March 1995? The whole lower tier at one end iirc.

And my first ever away game, a 2-2 draw at Watford in 1985 - I seem to remember we filled our half of the covered terrace, the open corner terrace and quite a few seats. Must have been at least 3,000 in total. Or was that my wide-eyed youthful exuberance?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

There were thousands at St Andrews in October '84 and we filled that huge
away terrace section behind the goal and had fans in seats.

That 1984-85 season saw us take around 3,000 to Plough Lane
Wimbledon.They had about 1,500!

I went to that Slumdon away game which was a Sunday lunchtime affair
in Feb. 1989. We had part of the terrace down the Shrivenham Road
and the Stratton Bank was split home and away. Not sure we had 3,000.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OUFC4eva wrote:I went to that Slumdon away game which was a Sunday lunchtime affair
in Feb. 1989. We had part of the terrace down the Shrivenham Road
and the Stratton Bank was split home and away. Not sure we had 3,000.
The one I'm thinking of was an evening game - must have been the following season - this one I think:
http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/fi ... 989-10-17/

We definitely had the main Stratton Bank terrace rather than the corner. I was in the seats and rather shocked by the number of arrests/ejections on the terrace that night!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I'm with KE here. I'm disappointed in our fans. Personally, it's a 'stay away' for me. Unless of course we spend the whole time with our backs to the action singing songs of support for our team. But I guess they still get the money and they still get their validation.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Its not a non-game. It is a league game, which provides exactly the same rewards as any other.

Wimbledon fans have accepted the situation, they have already played at Stadium MK, the club has accepted the position, and just like them, without ever agreeing with MKs right to a FL position, boycotting no longer serves a purpose other than self gratification. Whatever we do, or don't do, will not change the position.

We can go there without having to like it or agree with the position, and in some ways, going and supporting our team and hopefully helping to knock a small nail in their coffin by taking the 3 points, is better than staying away.

And I wish our stadium was as nicer as theirs.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

GodalmingYellow wrote:Its not a non-game. It is a league game, which provides exactly the same rewards as any other.

Wimbledon fans have accepted the situation, they have already played at Stadium MK, the club has accepted the position, and just like them, without ever agreeing with MKs right to a FL position, boycotting no longer serves a purpose other than self gratification. Whatever we do, or don't do, will not change the position
I wholehearted agree with this.

What purpose would be served if we boycotted watching our team?
Nothing is going change. What is done is done and it won't happen again.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Sorry, I tried to not bite, I really did. But I'm going to.
GodalmingYellow wrote:Wimbledon fans have accepted the situation
Some have, others haven't.
GodalmingYellow wrote:...boycotting no longer serves a purpose other than self gratification. Whatever we do, or don't do, will not change the position
Except that it could if people did it in large enough numbers. If fans of every team who played at "Stadium MK" (urgh) boycotted it, and no away fan ever went to the place, it would reinforce to the Football League, the media and to Franchise themselves that they are a pariah club, and that the rest of the footballing world has nothing but contempt for them. Whereas away fans following the herd mentality and turning up in large numbers suggests there is nothing objectionable at all about this non-club. I get the fact that I'm clearly in a minority on this. But by boycotting it, I am at least following my conscience, and doing so in the knowledge that if others did the same, it'd make a tangible difference.
GodalmingYellow wrote:And I wish our stadium was as nicer as theirs.
I don't. A concrete all-seater bowl? No ta. Plenty of stadia I'd rather see us emulate (not least those with safe standing areas and a bit of architectural variety).
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Sorry, I tried to not bite, I really did. But I'm going to.
GodalmingYellow wrote:Wimbledon fans have accepted the situation
Some have, others haven't.
GodalmingYellow wrote:...boycotting no longer serves a purpose other than self gratification. Whatever we do, or don't do, will not change the position
Except that it could if people did it in large enough numbers. If fans of every team who played at "Stadium MK" (urgh) boycotted it, and no away fan ever went to the place, it would reinforce to the Football League, the media and to Franchise themselves that they are a pariah club, and that the rest of the footballing world has nothing but contempt for them. Whereas away fans following the herd mentality and turning up in large numbers suggests there is nothing objectionable at all about this non-club. I get the fact that I'm clearly in a minority on this. But by boycotting it, I am at least following my conscience, and doing so in the knowledge that if others did the same, it'd make a tangible difference.
GodalmingYellow wrote:And I wish our stadium was as nicer as theirs.
I don't. A concrete all-seater bowl? No ta. Plenty of stadia I'd rather see us emulate (not least those with safe standing areas and a bit of architectural variety).
I'll respond to each point in turn rather than faff around with colours and paragraphs.

Depends what you mean by "some" when you say some have and some haven't. There will always be a handful that will not go to Stadium MK, but Wimbledon have now played there 3 times and it will be 5 by the end of this season. I've spoken to someone who works at Wimbledon and their view is that the position has now been accepted, and when I say accepted, I mean acknowledged and put up with, certainly not agreed with.

Wimbledon have their trophies back and on display at Kingsmeadow, Wimbledon have advanced plans to return to Plough Lane, and Wimbledon have at last reached the same division as MK. The clock cannot be turned back, but we are now as close as we can be to Wimbledon being back to their rightful position. Therefore complaining isn't really about Wimbledon any more because they've (almost) had restitution. It is about MK only now, and that isn't going to get any of us anywhere.

We could walk to the moon if only there was a stairway to the skies. Ifs, buts, and maybes. MK get large home crowds and have significant financial backing. Even a few hundred supporters staying away each week would change nothing. Everyone knows the message about MK already. What is more important, the success of our own club, or the failure of MK when Wimbledon are already back where they belong? I know where my loyalties lie first and foremost. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if MK went bust, I might even raise a glass to it, but given current circumstances, OUFC are a higher priority.

We can maintain our position of displeasure and ensure that Franchise never happens again, but we ain't going to turn the clock back, however much we bleat about conscience. I don't hate MK, I hate how they got here, and there is very much a difference between the two, a difference that cannot be undone.

You think the KasStad is as nice as MKs? I think you may be letting your (justified) MK hatred colour your views on that one.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I'm not going there. Ever. (Or at least until they go out of business, and a proper local side rises through the leagues properly and plays there.) I don't care what effect it does or doesn't have. I am friends with the former (original) chairperson of AFC Wimbledon, and I know what his views are on this too.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Also, I realise this isn't an official Franchise site, but wtf? http://www.mkdons-mad.co.uk/head_to_hea ... ndex.shtml

There do still seem to be a whole lot of idiots out there who somehow equate MK Dons with the original Wimbledon when considering records. Christ. This is why we still need to shout loud and clear about this ...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

"First they came for Wimbledon, but I wasn't a Wimbledon fan, so I did nothing..."

For me, my reasons for boycotting games against Franchise are the same as the reasons I hold ethical investments or buy green energy. I can't stop what other people do, but I can at least make sure that I'm not contributing towards the shit that happens in the world. Everyone who goes to Franchise on Saturday will be giving money to this pariah club, legitimising them and funding their future survival. Some may feel comfortable with that, I don't.

Of course I want Oxford to win any game in which we play. But this is an issue that is bigger than that. The bastards who screwed over Wimbledon are motivated by the same thing as the bastards who allowed B Teams to sneak into the Football League Trophy and the bastards who allow Premiership teams to stockpile all the best young players and then expect us to feel grateful when they loan one of them out to us for a few months. I think fans of all lower league / non-league clubs should stand together against that, and be vocal about the reasons why competitions and clubs steeped in history, advancement and merit are better than those based on money and greed. If that makes me less of an Oxford United fan in GY's eyes, I can live with that.

On the stadium point, I'm not defending Grenoble Road, which is a horrible ground (despite the Yellow Army's best efforts). But Franchise's is little better, and I'm not sorry that I won't ever see it.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Kairdiff Exile wrote:"First they came for Wimbledon, but I wasn't a Wimbledon fan, so I did nothing..."

For me, my reasons for boycotting games against Franchise are the same as the reasons I hold ethical investments or buy green energy. I can't stop what other people do, but I can at least make sure that I'm not contributing towards the shit that happens in the world. Everyone who goes to Franchise on Saturday will be giving money to this pariah club, legitimising them and funding their future survival. Some may feel comfortable with that, I don't.

Of course I want Oxford to win any game in which we play. But this is an issue that is bigger than that. The bastards who screwed over Wimbledon are motivated by the same thing as the bastards who allowed B Teams to sneak into the Football League Trophy and the bastards who allow Premiership teams to stockpile all the best young players and then expect us to feel grateful when they loan one of them out to us for a few months. I think fans of all lower league / non-league clubs should stand together against that, and be vocal about the reasons why competitions and clubs steeped in history, advancement and merit are better than those based on money and greed. If that makes me less of an Oxford United fan in GY's eyes, I can live with that.

On the stadium point, I'm not defending Grenoble Road, which is a horrible ground (despite the Yellow Army's best efforts). But Franchise's is little better, and I'm not sorry that I won't ever see it.
I don't see you as a lesser fan.

I used to hold exactly the same view as you, until I spoke to people inside AFCW. And if AFCW had not recovered to their present position, I might even take the same view now.

As regards B teams, Premier League resource robbing and excessive marketing and all the other aspects of football that are loathesome, I stand shoulder to shoulder with you. I just think this one is a battle that can't be won, it can't be changed, its past gone happened done and over. Time to move on.

I don't think we are going to agree, so I'll leave the last word for you. Until I change my mind that is!