Flog, carry, avoid

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Flog, carry, avoid

Post by GodalmingYellow »

slappy wrote:The aim of the club at the start of the season was "promotion, and promotion again", so the club are hopefully looking at players who can compete at the top of L1 and on into the Championship.

For Buchel, I think the article implies that by making 15 appearances he can trigger a contract extension, but that he'll wait and see what's happening before deciding to take it up.
I'm not sure that Buchel has a contract extension option, but the club definitely does.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

A few more thoughts based on other's postings.

I think Mulls will find a club in League 2 no problem. Only question might be if they can deliver on his wages. Portsmouth or Luton might be a good fit for him. I would happily keep him as a back up if he was up for it.

I suspect Hoban will go back to League of Ireland and start scoring 30 goals a season again. That's probably his true level. It would be a gamble even for a Conference side to sign him.

Bowery knew where the goal was, but did little teamwork and virtually no chasing the ball down and that isn't going to work at League 1 level. He would be an asset for a long ball team in League 2.

On Freddie and AJ, I wonder if Appleton takes the view that development squad players who don't make it to the first team don't get a new contract. If so it is difficult to argue against that policy. After all what is the development squad for if it isn't to develop potential 1st team players at lower cost than paying transfer fees.

I would be astonished if we don't sign a first choice keeper before the new season. And if we do, I can't see Slocombe still being here come August. Not if he wants to play anyway. He only has one year left with no automatic contract extension, so it would be in his own interests not to hang around.

I've heard nothing about Ryan Taylor other than he is running again. He is a debatable player for League 1 anyway.

I would be amazed also if COD were still an Oxford player next season. My money would be on Liverpool. They've always liked quick wingers and they did more than just sniff around last season.

Roofe I'm not so sure on in terms of transferring away. He didn't cut it at West Brom, so he might have concerns about cutting it at Championship level as well, and depending on ambition, we would be aiming for Championship in a season or two anyway. The fans love him, and he has also worked with Appleton for some time and it could well be a case of better the devil you know from his perspective. That said, I think he is definitely Champioship material so I wouldn't be remotely surprised for offers to come in.

I would say ditto Lundstram. He may wish to make his mark over more than a single season before trying to make his way up the ladder.

When Hylton was told he could talk to Hartlepool, it was at the time when he wasn't getting many matches and I just wonder if he and Appleton had had a difference of opinion about playing style and contribution. IIRC Hylton then issued a statement telling Hartlepool to bugger off and that he would fight for his place at OUFC. Then we saw a resurgent Hylton with regular games and improved play. Obviously I'm putting 2 and 2 together there. Whether Hylton is Championship material is very debatable, but I'm sure he will be more than useful in League 1.

I think we need GK, LB, RB, CB, CM and 2 CF, assuming those offered contracts and on contracts choose to stay.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yep, this was pretty much as expected. The main bonus is I actually trust the current management to find decent replacement players for these and any others that leave now. At one point it seemed to be pot luck.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

A new 'keeper is imperative.

I would talk to Fulham and ask whether Andy Lonergan
could be available. Appleton may have worked with him
at PNE back in the early 2000's.

Fulham's first choice 'keeper is Marcus Bettinelli
and he has recently returned from a long term injury
and they have another good 'keeper in Jesse Joronen.

Lonergan is still only 32.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

GodalmingYellow wrote:I would say ditto Lundstram. He may wish to make his mark over more than a single season before trying to make his way up the ladder.
I'm not convinced that Lundstram is a Championship level player. Whilst he certainly has vision and a wonderful range of passes, I thought he could be neutralised very easily in League 2; in games where he was marked tightly and/or closed down quickly, he tended to drop further and further back to find space, often unsuccessfully.
Whether Hylton is Championship material is very debatable, but I'm sure he will be more than useful in League 1.
I absolutely love Danny Hylton. However, I do wonder if he will be useful in League 1, let alone "more than useful". He was given an opportunity at that level before and didn't cut the mustard, so there's definitely a question mark there. Has he matured and improved enough to make a mark now? I certainly hope so, but we shall see!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Myles Francis wrote:I absolutely love Danny Hylton. However, I do wonder if he will be useful in League 1, let alone "more than useful". He was given an opportunity at that level before and didn't cut the mustard, so there's definitely a question mark there. Has he matured and improved enough to make a mark now? I certainly hope so, but we shall see!
We won't know for sure until we've seen him next season, but he certainly didn't look out of place against Barnsley at Wembley.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

GodalmingYellow wrote:
slappy wrote:The aim of the club at the start of the season was "promotion, and promotion again", so the club are hopefully looking at players who can compete at the top of L1 and on into the Championship.

For Buchel, I think the article implies that by making 15 appearances he can trigger a contract extension, but that he'll wait and see what's happening before deciding to take it up.
I'm not sure that Buchel has a contract extension option, but the club definitely does.
as posted earlier in the thread
http://www.vaterland.li/liechtenstein/s ... 174,203156
Da ich mehr als 15 Spiele bestritten habe. Oxford musste die Option bestätigen.

Because he'd made more than 15 appearances, OUFC had to offer him the contract extension option. Later it says that he'll see what the situation is before deciding whether to accept it (presumably whether he's number 1 or 2 goalkeeper, if Slocombe is still here, if we get someone else in etc.)
GodalmingYellow
Senile

slappy wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:

as posted earlier in the thread
http://www.vaterland.li/liechtenstein/s ... 174,203156
Da ich mehr als 15 Spiele bestritten habe. Oxford musste die Option bestätigen.

Because he'd made more than 15 appearances, OUFC had to offer him the contract extension option. Later it says that he'll see what the situation is before deciding whether to accept it (presumably whether he's number 1 or 2 goalkeeper, if Slocombe is still here, if we get someone else in etc.)
All that suggests Slappy is that both Buchel and OUFC had separate extension clauses available to them and because of the club invoking their clause, Buchel's clause becomes redundant and would only have been relevant had the club not invoked the extension.

This is based on the club's original statements on signing Buchel that the club had an extension option, and on the retained list statement that they have invoked that option.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

YF Dan wrote:Here's my controversial thought: I know we've just offered Hylton a new deal, but we don't know the details. It would have been hard not to have offered him a deal after a second successive fans player of the season award. But I've never really thought that Appleton really rates him. It wasn't long ago we'd have let him go to Hartlepool. I can't see Appleton offering Hylton a deal that was too good to turn down am therefore I'm totally convinced he'll be with us come August.
Not sure that's a particularly controversial conclusion to draw. Let's face it, if Appleton rated Danny as highly as the rest of us do he'd have had a contract sorted well before now. As Slappy says, it's a bit like the Beano situation - except that in Constable's case I thought the club did the right thing, as he wasn't the future of our forward line. Whereas Hylton's last two seasons have been outstanding, first carrying the team almost single-handedly and then making absolutley vital contributions to a promotion-winning campaign. He deserves a decent deal imo.

In other news, Lundstram to Brentford?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Kernow Yellow wrote:
YF Dan wrote:Here's my controversial thought: I know we've just offered Hylton a new deal, but we don't know the details. It would have been hard not to have offered him a deal after a second successive fans player of the season award. But I've never really thought that Appleton really rates him. It wasn't long ago we'd have let him go to Hartlepool. I can't see Appleton offering Hylton a deal that was too good to turn down am therefore I'm totally convinced he'll be with us come August.
Not sure that's a particularly controversial conclusion to draw. Let's face it, if Appleton rated Danny as highly as the rest of us do he'd have had a contract sorted well before now. As Slappy says, it's a bit like the Beano situation - except that in Constable's case I thought the club did the right thing, as he wasn't the future of our forward line. Whereas Hylton's last two seasons have been outstanding, first carrying the team almost single-handedly and then making absolutley vital contributions to a promotion-winning campaign. He deserves a decent deal imo.

In other news, Lundstram to Brentford?
I don't agree that the club did the right thing by Beano. Having scored so many goals for the club and turned down offers to go to higher level clubs to stay at Oxford, he deserved a full season under the new Appleton regime.

Under the old regime we created so few opportunities. I think Beano would have thrived under Appleton.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Appleton linked to Leeds - http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/05/25/re ... ichael-ap/ .

Even if Leeds did make an offer I think that this is 0% likely to happen. Appleton has been burned twice by basket-case clubs and I cannot see him making the same mistake again.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Myles Francis wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:I would say ditto Lundstram. He may wish to make his mark over more than a single season before trying to make his way up the ladder.
I'm not convinced that Lundstram is a Championship level player. Whilst he certainly has vision and a wonderful range of passes, I thought he could be neutralised very easily in League 2; in games where he was marked tightly and/or closed down quickly, he tended to drop further and further back to find space, often unsuccessfully.

Let us not disregard that 1) top-flight Everton offered him a contract which he rejected before coming to Oxford, 2) he has three caps at England u-20 level, and 3) he was more than competent in the Championship three years ago, aged 19.

I respectfully suggest your opinion of Lundstram is too pessimistic!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

BigCrompy wrote: and 3) he was more than competent in the Championship three years ago, aged 19.
Not trying to start an argument here, but just wondering what you're basing that statement on? I wasn't aware of any particularly successful loan spell earlier in his career.

Incidentally, I've just found this article in the Guardian which I think we missed in the build-up to the Swansea game (though I may be wrong - I certainly didn't see it). There's nothing there to suggest he pulled up any trees in his loans away from Goodison.

My opinion - he's clearly a talent, capable of unlocking defences with great vision and passing. An absolute joy to watch at times. But he also looked nothing special against very average League 2 midfields on more than one occasion, and had a worrying habit of turning backwards into trouble when in possession. And his tackling was somewhat suspect when I saw him last year (veering from 'not getting a tackle in' to 'red card' with not enough in between).

Of course it was his first full season of first-team football, and I am very hopeful that he'll develop into a real star. But I'm not sure that what he did last season will have earned him/Us a real big money move to the next level yet.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

GodalmingYellow wrote:I think Mulls will find a club in League 2 no problem. Only question might be if they can deliver on his wages. Portsmouth or Luton might be a good fit for him.
Well called Sir.... http://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/article ... 30720.aspx