How many points will secure a play-off place?

Anything yellow and blue

What points total will secure a play-off place?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:47 am

72 or less
4%
9%
13%
13%
17%
17%
4%
17%
No votes
No votes
No votes
83 or more
4%

Total votes: 23

Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

76 for me as well. I worked out the ppg average of all the teams, and multiplied by 46. Seemed as good a way as any.

The 6th placed team got 75, so 76 it is. Oddly, the 5th placed team got 75 as well, so it's slightly misleading, but 76 is the score needed to guarantee 5th in that case.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

76 seems reasonable to me...
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re:

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:76 seems reasonable to me...
Doesn't that table actually suggest that 74 is enough to get in the playoffs? Happy if that's the case!! :lol:
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

77 - a win and two draws should do it.

D&ampR might start cruising since they'll probably be champions this weekend, so we can't rely on them taking points off our rivals. Luckily they all seem to be as inconsistent/bad as us.

Morcambe to win the playoffs though on current form. :(
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote: Morcambe to win the playoffs though on current form. :(
The thing is current form is proving to be a very temporary thing among most of our potential rivals, as they are all taking it in turns to win 2 or 3 on the trot then lose at home to someone...

For example, ignoring Dagenham, only Burton have an unbeaten run longer than ours at the moment...and least a couple of our rivals are not doing well on their travels, so it really is up in the air (GULP!)
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:77 - a win and two draws should do it.

D&ampR might start cruising since they'll probably be champions this weekend, so we can't rely on them taking points off our rivals. Luckily they all seem to be as inconsistent/bad as us.

Morcambe to win the playoffs though on current form. :(
Er - we could still win the playoffs playing badly. These are not good sides we are up against.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Post by Resurrection Ox »

I've gone for 75. All the contenders are so inconsistent.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I've gone for 79 - a little pessimistic in reality as 77 will probbaly do, but I'd rather us safe that sorry.

Was it on this forum where JS was ridiculed for saying that 6 points should be enough? Thet would have taken us to 77 points so most of the supporters on here seem to agree with him!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote: Er - we could still win the playoffs playing badly. These are not good sides we are up against.
We could, but these are sides we have not convinced against for most of this season, however good or bad they are.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

It wasn't on this forum. But JS is still wrong - he said that 6 points guarantees us a playoff place. Which it doesn't. It's just that by the time we get six points, most of the opposition will probably have dropped enough points for it to be enough.

Which is not the same thing.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotShoobedoo&quot wrote:
&quotMatt D&quot wrote:76 seems reasonable to me...
Doesn't that table actually suggest that 74 is enough to get in the playoffs? Happy if that's the case!! :lol:
if it's 76 then i'll claim there's method to my failure to read the question's criteria properly...

:wink:
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Also could somebody with moderating power remove the typo in the question? Ta.
What about the grammatical error in the poll?

Anyway, I've gone for 74
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

So far a basic weighted average of 76.26 if that means anything.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

The basic maths says that we need 12 more points (84) to guarantee a playoff place.

However, because of the Exeter/Stevenage, Burton/York and Stevenage/Morcambe matches, there is no permutation of those matches that leaves us needing more than 83 points total to guarantee a place.

edit: forgot about Gravesend
2nd edit - playoffs, not promotion
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

.....and the winner is ....Mooro with 78 just for the record.

Shame there wasn't a prize but I'm sure the satisfied glow of knowing you were right is reward enough.