Summer days

Anything yellow and blue
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Summer days

Post by YF Dan »

Shall we start a new thread to talk about events that happen in this close season?

O'Dowda gets full Republic of Ireland call-up. http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ ... um=twitter

Too late for for the Euros, (or too early)? Or could he be Ireland's Theo Walcott? It would be great to see an Oxford player in the Euros. I guess the last time we had major tournament interest of any kind was when Matt Elliott went to France in 98 (in my mind then he was still an Oxford player)...I recall screaming at the TV for Jock Brown to bring him on, but alas he never did.

Wilder off to his beloved Blades? http://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/article/shef ... 09693.aspx

People will pipe up no doubt about his loyalty, or lack of, but I guess he knows that he won't get 99 points again in a season at Northampton so he will never be more in demand than he is now. Fair play to him. I can't see him turning down this move. (Chippy little twat that he is though.)
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Summer days

Post by slappy »

Max Crocombe is in the full NZ squad for the Oceania Nations Cup.
http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.a ... in%2cnarts
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

YF Dan wrote:I guess the last time we had major tournament interest of any kind was when Matt Elliott went to France in 98 (in my mind then he was still an Oxford player)...
Slightly more recently, Andre Arendse played at the World Cup in 2002. It didn't go well for him (8s-20s). He had of course played for us just a few years previously.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Wilder's dream move will happen at long last, for him.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

He deserves it, to be honest. Did a fantastic job this season at at a club that were basically bust at the start of it.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

On a related note, Blackburn, Cardiff and Charlton all have managerial vacancies at a higher level than Oxford, and there will doubtless be more coming up. Think we're in any danger of losing Appleton?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Jimski wrote:On a related note, Blackburn, Cardiff and Charlton all have managerial vacancies at a higher level than Oxford, and there will doubtless be more coming up. Think we're in any danger of losing Appleton?
Charlton have been relegated and will be playing us next season.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Heh, that's true! Still probably quite a big draw though.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I think he'll give next season a real good go - two promotions in two years would mean WBA would be interested when the fans finally tire of Pullis.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Wilder now appointed at Blades
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Jimski wrote:Heh, that's true! Still probably quite a big draw though.
Charlton? They're a basket case. Can't believe Wilder was interested in the first place. Sheffield Utd is more logical, though it seems strange that he was so desperate to get out of Northampton as soon as the season finished. Maybe he knows something we don't about their current situation.

The more success we have the more interest there will be in Appleton, but I think it would take more than a struggling Championship team to tempt him away now. I'm more worried about some of our best players leaving...
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Rob Hall released b y Bolton - still have fond memories of his time with us. Wonder if we'd be interested again?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Sheffield Utd is more logical, though it seems strange that he was so desperate to get out of Northampton as soon as the season finished. Maybe he knows something we don't about their current situation.
I think if the club you were a fan of as a boy, and a player for as a pro, puts you on a shortlist of one, the timing is irrelevant.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Did anyone else notice that Jonjoe Kenny played more than an hour (coming on as an early sub) for Everton today, and even set up the third goal for Kevin Mirallas?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Jimski wrote:Rob Hall released b y Bolton - still have fond memories of his time with us. Wonder if we'd be interested again?
I believe he suffered a pretty serious injury a couple of weeks ago so it'll be interesting to see if anyone will sign him before the start of the season.