Sweet Caroline

Anything yellow and blue
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Sweet Caroline

Post by YF Dan »

Brilliant.

Amazing, focused, strong, calm performance from the best Oxford team in years.

We so deserved this. It's been a fabulous and totally entertaining season. Fair play to Wilder and Northampton, 99 points makes them worthy champions. But our team played all season with a style and panache his teams never did.

A great performance today, well, especially in the second half. MOM by a mile was Chey Dunkley. Gave them not a sniff all game and oh, that header. Forget Roofe and O'Dowda: if I was a scout I know who I'd be recommending to the big boys.

Other stars: Maguire, total class and a dead ball monster. Jake Wright had a great game. So did Ruffels. Oh sod it, they all played great. But Dunkley was the best by a mile.

What a day. I love you Oxford.

PS. Gutted for Accrington. They're a lovely club and for them to have got so close was miraculous. I hope the play-offs serve them justice but I can't see them coming back from that.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Sweet Caroline

Post by SmileyMan »

I had to go out when it was 0-0 after 30 minutes, and didn't manage to catch up until the last fifteen. Thankfully Five Live were doing a pretty good job of keeping up with the situation, so my nerves weren't too frayed...

A well-deserved result for a team that has been pure class all season. I guess the hard bit now is deciding which players aren't up to League One, and trying to hold onto the star performers.

But I'll file that under "nice problems to have."
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

A brilliant day, although for me much of the game was lost under a haze of tension, so I could hardly tell whether we were playing well or not. Zero shots on target from Wycombe according to the BBC*, so we were definitely solid even when the match was fairly even in the first half. And yeah, Dunkley was brilliant.

Really looking forward to next season. There are some big clubs up there - Coventry, Bolton, Charlton, Sheffield United, etc.

* although I'm sure we cleared a shot off the line.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Oxford definitely played well and it was a fitting climax to a terrific season.
From 1-11 the players were excellent in a pressure cooker situation but their class
told in the end and Wycombe were comprehensively beaten.

So a well earned promotion and we can all rest for a few months.I must say it feels like a huge weight
has been lifted off our shoulders and a relaxing summer is what we all need.

Yesterday Dunkley was immense - a colossus and in Maguire we saw a masterful performance
with the ball. As "Appy" said post match Maguire has Championship class stamped all over him.

Talking of a class act - Owner and Chairman Darryl Eales has been great
and again remains calm and composed and very professional at all times.

Our club looks like it is moving forward nicely
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

At 5pm on Monday it looked like I wasn't going to be in the country, but then I found out I was

At 5pm on Tues the only ticket I could get was in the Wycombe end

At 5pm on Fri I miraculous had a ticket in the home end

At 5pm on Sat I watched the most complete, entertaining and balanced OUFC side in decades score 3 against a team with the best away defensive record in England, as if they didn't exist. I watched it with 2 of my friends. Friends whom I made on the terraces at the Manor. Friends with whom I have seen the high (Sat, et al) and the lows (Wrexham away, Dan!). This is what football is all about. Friendship forged through experience and adversity. And long may it continue.

At 5pm today I'm sitting on a balcony of La Mamounia Hotel in Marrakech, sipping a glass of champagne and about to light up a cigar. On the flight over this morning I was reading the prog from yesterday's match and, in all honest it could have been written this morning. Well done, Martin. It literally bought a tear to my eye, kept me smiling through the turbulance (which we've learned to do an Oxfor fans) and allowed three other passengers to approach me and shake my hand, saying 'Well done. Your lads were brilliant all season and entertained us all'- and these were fans from The Champ, L1 and L2.

Thanks OUFC for being so damn entertaining again, and for putting a smile back on my face. The first time in a very long time.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

On a previous recommendation of Ancient Colin, I recently purchased a bottle of Springbank. They are not all that easy to get hold of. Even when I was in Scotland last year, in the lowlands region, not that far from the distillery, all the whisky shops had sold out.

I saved this bottle, to be a bottle of celebration.

At the KasStad, I go along with one of my best mates ever. A 72 year old neighbour from Ambrosden. He knows more about me than everyone except my wife.
At the KasStad, I also sit with the same chap I have always sat with at Oxford United matches, even from the Manor days. I've known him for getting on for 30 years and we've been through all the ups and (mostly) downs of the club together since the late 1980s/early 1990s. I don't remember the exact year that I switched to the Beech Road seats from the right side London Road.
At the KasStad, I met some new incumbents in the seats to my right. They've recently bought the season tickets there. It took a little while to get used to them, but we are starting to get on famously.
At the KasStad, I meet up faithfully before and after each game, with a very long standing friend, who introduced me to programme collecting, what seems aeons ago. We always have a chat with the lovely Farr family who run the catering vans (and now also the inside catering for each stand which is why we can now buy real ale), have a cup of tea or two and work through how we saw the game.
I'm not a big fan of the KasStad. But then I'm the sort of person who doesn't like change generally, and I love history and nostalgia and memories. Memories are important. They are the backbone of your past life.

This is what football does to you. It is a community thing. It brings people together. People that you regularly share experiences with. People you endure sadness with, and people you enjoy happiness with. People you have common memories with.

On Saturday morning, I filled my hip flask from the bottle of Springbank and placed it in my pocket. A few minutes before kick off, I revealed said hipflask and told my friends that this would not be opened until we achieve promotion.

At just before 5pm on Saturday, I was delighted to be able to celebrate with my friends and share the Springbank.

Thank you so much Oxford United, and thank you Ancient Colin.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

GY- which Springbank? One of the best distilleries in Scotland. You know when a bar has a good selection of Scotch on it, when it has a Springbank.

In other whisky news, always buy yours from Royal Mile Whiskies or Drinkmonger- they're run / part owned by an Oxford United fan...!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

recordmeister wrote:GY- which Springbank? One of the best distilleries in Scotland. You know when a bar has a good selection of Scotch on it, when it has a Springbank.

In other whisky news, always buy yours from Royal Mile Whiskies or Drinkmonger- they're run / part owned by an Oxford United fan...!
It was only 10 year old, but got to be one of the best 10s available.

I was one of the lucky Laphroaig members to get a bottle of 2015 Cairdeas, which was bloody lovely, but the Springbank 10 surpassed that. Better than Caol Ila 12 and Lagavulin 16 if you ask me.

You will have noticed that I'm an Islay whisky fan (bar Bowmore which I generally find quite bland, almost like blended whisky). Springbank manage the intensity of the Islay distilleries, without the sometimes overwhelming smokiness.

But enough about my drinking habits. Swinedown Town, we're coming for you!
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Mon May 09, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

In 2010 I was in Washington with work (and, it turned out, on the flight back I was sat next to another Us fan who also had to miss Wembley because of being in the States with work).

In 1996 I could not get a ticket for the Peterborough game (which is why I have been a season ticket holder ever since).

I cannot remember being at any of the promotion games in the 1980s (which probably means I was not there).

That was a very special day on Saturday. Finally making it to a promotion game - apparently only the sixth in our history - was indescribable. We have had to endure the best part of 20 years of relegation and decline, so to see us win promotion, playing great football, with an owner and management team who have given the club back its heart, fills me with joy but also hope for the future. And THAT is not something I have felt for a very long time.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Was there with my Dad and three year old son who had been to a few games this season - my 29 years supporting them had yielded two promotions, my son has achieved a 100% record so far.

I didn't think we were going to do it (mainly because I didn't think the other teams would drop so many points against lower table oppo) but very glad to be proven wrong, the last 3 games have been a masterclass in coping with pressure and rising to the big occasion. In the end it was fully deserved, this season has to be one of the best in the clubs history, giant killing, trip to Wembley and numerous memorable games and performances.

Maguire has been immense in this run in, he has one of the best first touches of any player I've seen play for us and his pen taking with so much rising on it was fantastic. Roofe is a top top player and I find it amazing he didn't get player of the season - Oxford fans do seem to like grafters rather than the highly skilled. Saying that Hylts did have a good season and was another who stepped up as other players were struggling in the last few games, Roofe included which may have swung a few votes.

Dunkley is already one of my favorite defenders ever to play for us, he doesn't lose headers, scores vital goals and really cares - you can see his frustration whenever we concede. Wright alongside him was his usual dependable self, no-one reads the game better than him. I don't think we need to add to the centre back positions with the three we have.

I don't think we need to add massively to the squad, will clearly need a new right back, maybe a left back, I love Skarz but does he do enough going forward? We also don't need two left backs - Ruffels looked great in that position. I think we need a good central midfielder to really push and challange sercs and lunny - I felt their performances dipped a bit when Rose left, which would also have been due to being knackered given the number of games we've played.

I think we need a new first choice keeper but would keep Benji as back up, need a top new striker, Bowery looked the real deal at times and his goals at AFC and pompy were crucial but has faded since, Hylts should get a new contract, hopefully we can keep hold of Roofe and Callum and Macca deserves a chance in the league above, although my head wonders if he's just a good league 2 player. Not sure Taylor is up to league 1 from what I've seen so far.

As Leicester has proved team spirit and a settled team will get you a long way way, we should give this group of players a chance to continue to show that Millwall, Brentford, Scum, Swansea were not one-offs and they can mix it in the division above.

Special mention to Appleton as well, very classy and composed throughout the season and has been proven so right, lets hope he sticks around and gives 2 successive promotions a shot, if he manages that I could see West Brom come calling when they tire of Pullis. Also Eales, what is going on with this guy - he's the dream chairman, sinking loads of money in, mingling with the fans - and now it seems a proper fan as well - the video of him running onto the pitch with Roofe is brilliant!

Oh and the cherry on the top was getting a tip on where the players would be in the evening to celebrate and joining them in their VIP area - they may well have thought oh god why do I have to deal with these guys, but they didn't show it, were super nice and shared many drinks with us - amazing!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

ty cobb wrote: Maguire has been immense in this run in, he has one of the best first touches of any player I've seen play for us and his pen taking with so much rising on it was fantastic
At Carlisle last week Maguire was terrific defensively when Skarzy was
under the cosh.In tight situations, Maguire was able to get us out of
trouble with his superb control and Little body swerves.
At one point he juggled the ball on his thighs, flicked it up and produced
a bicycle kick to get the ball out of danger. He's also netted coolly, three
pressure penalties.

Players like Windass, Leven and Maguire are talented boys
who need to be loved and understood.

We need to sign Chris Maguire - he is a quality player.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Fabulous end to a wonderful season. What's really special is that this doesn't feel like the end, more the beginning of something more, something even better. The biggest achievement has been turning the culture of the club around to one that is united, has self belief and is connected with it's fans / community. Credit has to go to Eales. However, does he have a plan to tackle the real issue, the one that cant be ignored if we are to achieve sustainable success.

Like most of you on here, I've now seen my team promoted to and relegated from all four divisions. Which other fans could make the same claim? Luton and Carlisle potentially? Any others?

Also, I never thought that soulless stadium could be brought to life to that extent. Credit to the banner / flag boys. It looked and sounded amazing at 3:00pm
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I live in a small town in Cornwall, which is twinned with a town in Brittany. Last year we became members of the twinning group and expressed an interest in joining the biennial long weekend visit to France, which was supposed to be in September. A couple of months ago the date was changed, and I realised immediately that it was going to fall on the last day of the season. But all the family wanted to go, and a French family was expecting our visit, and I couldn't very well make excuses when I didn't know if anything would ride on the match. Ever since I've been desperately hoping we would win promotion earlier - even driving my eldest son 7 hours each way to Carlisle last week in the hope of seeing something special. But it wasn't to be. And I couldn't make my excuses at a weeks notice without being a complete arse and leaving my wife in the shit.

And so it came to pass that I missed the greatest day at the Kassam Stadium. I also missed the Peterborough game in 1996 as I was a poor student living in Southern Germany at the time, but that didn't bother me too much - it was the pre-Internet and cheap flight era and I was just happy to get the news and celebrate wildly with German beer. But this time I was glued to my phone as I feigned interest in an organised trip to a satellite museum, and managed to get Yellow Player on headphones for most of the second half on the coach journey back. And every goal, every cheer, every chant and pitch invasion, every emotional crack in Jerome's voice made me sadder and sadder that I was not there. Though of course extremely happy that we'd achieved what we so richly deserved after all the endeavours of an incredibly long season. I celebrated with much wine, but it didn't feel right. I should have been there.

So enjoy it you bastards! Here's to League 1 after a gap of far, far too long. On the plus side, I was at the Barnsley game in 84 when we clinched the Championship, and at Wembley in 2010, so I'm definitely due to attend the next promotion party! Let's hope we don't have to wait too long. For all the (fully deserved) confidence in the club both on and off the pitch at the moment, I don't think next season will be a walk in the park by any means. This summer's transfer dealings and contract negotiations will be interesting, but that's probably for another thread...
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

I sort of knew that Carlisle away would be my last game of the season, since there was no chance of me getting a ticket for Wycombe, and anyway I live so far from Oxford, in Manchester. So I listened on the internet, as I always bloody do, the sad case that I am. And Yellows Player wasn't working properly, and normally I would have been pretty annoyed. But Saturday was strange - one of the best days of my life, but in such an abstract way, so far from anyone else who might have cared. But then I met my mate Scott, who supports about five different teams, and he knew what it meant, and we got completely smashed, and in good way. Back home in Oxford tomorrow, arriving just in time to catch the celebrations at St Aldate's.

Well done to everyone connected to the club. See you all at the multitudinous League 1 grounds found in the North-West of England.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I went to Carlisle, only my 3rd live game of the season (and that's if you include the coventry v oxford pre-season friendly, which I do, the other being Wembley). For the first time in over 20 years I haven't made a home game this season, I spent saturday afternoon in my garden in scotland (where I now live), trying to entertain my 3 year old daughter, my 11 month old twin boys and simultaneously follow the game on twitter (I recommend playing hide and seek as it gives you 20 second windows to refresh). One of the good things about the internet is it makes you realise while there may be 12000 fans at the ground, there are another x thousand not at the ground having the same anxious afternoon.

Saying that, I felt strangely confident, mostly because I thought the team looked very assured at Carlisle, what impressed me there was that even going a goal up early on they never look to just sit on it and instead carried on attacking. It wasn't particularly comfortable viewing as defensively (particularly full backs, like at Wembley) we looked inexperienced, but it did show the team had confidence in the approach.

Even from afar I've thoroughly enjoyed the season, the online highlights help plus the televised games have all been entertaining and more importantly, won. I thought Appleton should have been sacked last season, but have been proved very wrong, he's got the team playing some consistently excellent football even while rotating the squad and managing injuries - my only concern is the budget required to do it, but that is a concern for another day, we know as well as anyone it's best to bask in the good times.