Crawley 1-5 OXFORD

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Crawley 1-5 OXFORD

Post by OUFC4eva »

My first visit to Broadfield since Matt Day struck late on in 2006-07.
After a difficult opening half an hour in which the U's looked a little at sixes
and sevens, the quality told in the end as the U's ran Crawley ragged in the second
period and romped to another handsome away victory.
Their 13th away league win - a club record.

United could and should have scored three or four more goals
as Hylton and O'Dowda carved open the reds back line
time and time again aided by the promptings of MacDonald and Maguire
on the flanks. Liam Sercombe netted his 15th goal of the season
for United who were missing the influential Kemar Roofe
through a sickness bug.

The 1,476 U's fans travelled home happy
from the Checkatrade Stadium.
A word on that temporary East Stand - I did not feel safe sat at the back of that structure!
It was erected in just 2 weeks in 2012 and was plonked on to the old terrace.

ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Crawley 1-5 OXFORD

Post by ty cobb »

Wow.

We were stunning against a very aggressive team who looked to bully us. Hylton lead the line fantastically, Callum tore them to pieces and by the end we must have had one of the youngest ever 11 on the pitch to play a league game. Special mention for Maguire who showed his class - he is a great player and I think any poor form is due to being in and out the team, his pen was also unsavable as well, why hasn't he been on them earlier?

Only sobering thought was when I looked at Accers and Rovers fixtures for the rest of the season - both could easily win all the remaining games, Rovers especially who couldn't have asked for a easier run in.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Personally I felt COD was MoM. Macca and Hylts ran him close.

The ref was shambolic. Even Phil Malcolm, who virtually always defends the ref, had to admit that "he missed one or two things" :lol: .

I think Crawley were sent out too aggressively in the first half, which is why they couldn't compete in the second half and why the balance of play in the first half (in terms of possession) was probably a bit more even than the second.

The lino closest to our fans, rather like too many other linos, doesn't seem to realise that he is now an assistant referee, giving him power to use his flag for more than throw ins, offsides and scratching his arse. It really does my head in when linos don't signal for fouls that are clearly within their line of sight and often under their noses.

Our defending for their goal was very poor. Buchel had several opportunities to catch or dive on the ball, and we had plenty of defenders who could have put a foot through it.

Our goals came from very well worked play, and goal of the day has to go to Maguire for the pin point accuracy across the goal into the far side netting. Nice to see him step up and take the penalty properly as well.

I think Sercombe is still some way off his best.

Credit to CTFC for laying on free matchday parking at local offices. Why can't more clubs be considerate like this? CTFC have become a quite friendly little club, with a supporters bar that welcomes home and away fans, and of course Ian Hands (smallest in the World) programme shop.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

important to get this post-wembley mini season off to a positive start. we managed it, and how. spirit, performance, result, winning margin... bring on the next five games and let's get the job done.

COYY!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

ty cobb wrote:Only sobering thought was when I looked at Accers and Rovers fixtures for the rest of the season - both could easily win all the remaining games, Rovers especially who couldn't have asked for a easier run in.
Accrington won't fancy the awayday at Wycombe too much, but otherwise, yeah easy run-ins for both. Mind you, I guess we don't have the toughest one on paper either. I still think it's gonna be tight though - down to the last game.